Curb weight disappointment!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Curb weight disappointment!

I may as well get to the point.

I made a mistake of bragging to non Vette owners that the weight of the new C7 would be around the 3000 lb mark. I guess I caught up in the hype, and the truth is its not anywhere close to 3000 lbs.

My 88' car is modded, but in stock trim it was around 3210 with the steel frame, heavy stock rims etc...

I havent read the official curb weight numbers, but I hear its around 3300?

Given the carbon fiber hood and targa, along with the aluminum frame and aluminum engine why in the world is this car so heavy?

I cant afford the car right now, but in a few years I can.

I guess I am disappointed. I was thinking 450hp in a 3000 pound car would be fun and therefore would be a tad slower in a straight line then my modded 88, but given the curb weight, I cant see it trapping in the early 120's which is what I was hoping for......

I know the car will perform very well on the road course, and still be very decent in a straight line. I like the looks of the car. I guess I just thought the weight would have been alot lower.

My bad!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Like you, I thought it would be lighter BUT, until the official weight is announced, we really don't know the extent to which we were wrong. I would like to see something definitive vis-a-vis weight. With the weight that was lost in the frame and body (136 lbs I believe) it doesn't make sense that it is heavier than the C6.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Like you, I thought it would be lighter BUT, until the official weight is announced, we really don't know the extent to which we were wrong. I would like to see something definitive vis-a-vis weight. With the weight that was lost in the frame and body (136 lbs I believe) it doesn't make sense that it is heavier than the C6.
I does make sense, if you watched any of the GM unveil videos.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I does make sense, if you watched any of the GM unveil videos.
I saw them Racer. What are you talking about? What about the videos explains a weight increase? Magnesium (lighter) seat frames? Smaller (lighter) tires? Less glass (lighter) in the rear hatch?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you had a base car that could trap 120s what would the z06 - zr1 variants be ? as it sits corvette is already more powerful than every single near competitor.

i thought this was suppose to be a balanced handling sport coupe. not a tire frying muscle car
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I may as well get to the point.

I made a mistake of bragging to non Vette owners that the weight of the new C7 would be around the 3000 lb mark. I guess I caught up in the hype, and the truth is its not anywhere close to 3000 lbs.

My 88' car is modded, but in stock trim it was around 3210 with the steel frame, heavy stock rims etc...

I havent read the official curb weight numbers, but I hear its around 3300?

Given the carbon fiber hood and targa, along with the aluminum frame and aluminum engine why in the world is this car so heavy?

I cant afford the car right now, but in a few years I can.

I guess I am disappointed. I was thinking 450hp in a 3000 pound car would be fun and therefore would be a tad slower in a straight line then my modded 88, but given the curb weight, I cant see it trapping in the early 120's which is what I was hoping for......

I know the car will perform very well on the road course, and still be very decent in a straight line. I like the looks of the car. I guess I just thought the weight would have been alot lower.

My bad!
Since the official weight has not been published, everybody is just grasping at straws. That said, if it is a bit heavier, it's pretty simple really.
While the frame has been lightened and carbon is used on the roof, you have a heavily upgraded interior compared to the simple and light C6 interior. You have a steel drive shaft instead of the C6 aluminum one to reduce vibrations and you have a larger wheelbase to improve handling, a presumably wider interior to accomodate the new larger seats, a larger 2000PSI steel bodied fuel pump to feed the new DI engine, new ducted trans and diff cooling with I believe actual coolers, etc.

They certainly did a lot of things though to offset the upgrades when you figure they used an all aluminum frame on the base model, magnesium framed seats, carbon body parts and magnesium in some of the suspension components. I don't think the 100 pounds or so if its any would even be noticable when you figure the power/torque increase coupled with a better power curve. I'd expect performance to improve while achieving a major upgrade in handling and creature comfort.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

No point in fretting over something that hasn't been announced.

Michael
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
No point in fretting over something that hasn't been announced.

Michael

Good point.

Get notified of new replies

To Curb weight disappointment!

Quick Reply: Curb weight disappointment!