Kratos-TM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy on the far right is a douche.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's interesting to see just how diverse the opinion is about the Corvette overall and the C7 in particular.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
vetluvr
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

More haters?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
In my area, a lot of owners of used Corvettes are in their 50-60's. A kid making 12 bucks an hour isn't even buying a used C4. One thing I've noticed with my neighbor's teenagers. They perfer a 4 door 5 passenger sedan as they can carry their friends around. In fact my next door neighbor's 17 year old drives a old Civic station wagon that I sold to her 10 years ago, The kid(male) could care less about the car, it's all about being with his friends, and two seater cars don't carry many friends.
I used to think like that too before selling off the 5 seater. Then something occurred to me. Someone else probably has a 5 seater, let them drive!

So I only ever drove to Vegas with a girl after that. Any other time I was gambling till noon and someone else drove the boring family car while I slept and sobered up! I never had to be the DD when going to clubs ever again either!

All you got to say is, "Sorry, I would love to drive but my car is a 2-seater"!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I used to think like that too before selling off the 5 seater. Then something occurred to me. Someone else probably has a 5 seater, let them drive!

So I only ever drove to Vegas with a girl after that. Any other time I was gambling till noon and someone else drove the boring family car while I slept and sobered up! I never had to be the DD when going to clubs ever again either!

All you got to say is, "Sorry, I would love to drive but my car is a 2-seater"!

When I had the Firebird, a few of my buddies thought outloud and said "your car has 4 seats you can drive!" After one trip in the hellish small child sized seats, I never had to be the DD again. You'd almost think I planned it.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-18-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

There is always a better bang for the buck in the used car market. I meant between new cars. When C7 will be for sale C6 will be clearing stock, even so C6 ZO6 will cost more new, and IMO does not compare bang for the buck. The extra weight on the C7 is mostly in things that matter, like a contemporary interior.

If you want a stripper car I bet the C7 stripped will weigh pretty much the same as a stripped out C6 Z06.
A certified pre owned is almost the same as new. No a stripped c7 will be about 200lbs heavier, be slower, locked down for mods, be narrower, depreciate more, and look less appealing in general. You asked I answered.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gatti-man
A certified pre owned is almost the same as new. No a stripped c7 will be about 200lbs heavier, be slower, locked down for mods, be narrower, depreciate more, and look less appealing in general. You asked I answered.
I seriously doubt 200lbs difference. 50lbs max, and then you get the 20% stiffer chassis to boot.

Let's be frank here. You could roll on the streets in a C7 this fall and have one of the most appealing cars on the road, or you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside.

I think folks are seriously understating the rewards of driving the first year of a new generation. This is nearly a decade of advancements from GM packed together in one release. It's going to be great! Compare that to the near touch up the 6th gen was over the 5th... This is C4 compared to C5. C6 stands no chance in comparing to the C7.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
When I had the Firebird, a few of my buddies thought outloud and said "your car has 4 seats you can drive!" After one trip in the hellish small child sized seats, I never had to be the DD again. You'd almost think I planned it.
Reminds me of horrible experiences in the back of Camaros and Eclipses. But heck, still better than chauffeuring 4 people around! Even if you have a cool 5-seater, like the CTS, the car drives like **** with that much weight anyway. With a packed car one of the passengers is bound to be a whiner too.

You'd have to pay me to drive people around again.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
VinceJB
Instructor

Easy. A used c6z06. Faster, better looking, lighter, more displacement, and a proven track performer.
You do not know for a fact if it will be faster then the C7 or a better track car. The C7 should be a better track car then the C6 Zo6
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
VinceJB
Instructor

I love how people talk out of their *** when nothing is concrete yet. HP and weight are not yet confirmed by SAE or GM!!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

There are also the aero improvements on the C7, the transaxle cooling... There is also the joy of open air motoring which Imo was a huge short coming of the Z06.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Car&Driver has been on a slow steady decline for years.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside.
Maybe if you rolled past a Center for the Visually impaired, then sure. No one takes you seriously when you spit out this crud.

Originally Posted by VinceJB
The C7 should be a better track car then the C6 Zo6
I love how people talk out of their *** when nothing is concrete yet. HP and weight are not yet confirmed by SAE or GM!!
Take your own advice?

There are also the aero improvements on the C7, the transaxle cooling... There is also the joy of open air motoring which Imo was a huge short coming of the Z06.
You do realize the C5s and C6s had transmission coolers as well. Right? Not really a problem for these cars. The purpose of the air cooling in the C7 was to reduce weight of running coolant lines back to the transmission. That is a good thing, but the car ended up heavier anyway.

I never see ANY Vettes with the roof off on the street. You know why? They're such pain in the asses to put in and take out and people who cared about the 'joy of open air motoring' bought the real-deal convertibles. The targa top is just a liability. I'd much rather have a stiffer chassis with a fixed roof instead of having a giant roof hole. GM could have done wonders with a fixed roof on the C7.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
458it
Instructor

They say that c7 looks smaller than the c6? wtf?
Folks from this forum say that it looks larger than the c6 and thats great!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Let's be frank here. You could roll on the streets in a C7 this fall and have one of the most appealing cars on the road, or you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside.

C7.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Whew oh man I'm tearing up here.

Right because GM is all of a sudden going to announce a c7 with SAE of 500hp and 300 lbs lighter than what everyone has been saying. These are engineers making statements that actually worked on the car not some BigGunz wannabe Internet poster spouting unconfirmed rumor.

Last edited by gatti-man; 01-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Some of you guys are delusional!!! The C7 looks like a modified C6. Its no evolution, if the C6 was a C5.5, then the C7 is a C6.5!

And for those saying the nearest comp is the viper! Are you kidding me!!! The Viper competes with the ZR1! You trying to tell me the C7 will also??? No way!

The 370Z and the C7 are closer in comp... That sound right???

I think the C7 was a nice attempt by GM and once its modded, it will be very more appealing. But they coulde have done wayyyy better with it

And to the moron saying a C6Z looking like a base C5, lol GFTO dude!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM
458it
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Some of you guys are delusional!!! The C7 looks like a modified C6. Its no evolution, if the C6 was a C5.5, then the C7 is a C6.5!

And for those saying the nearest comp is the viper! Are you kidding me!!! The Viper competes with the ZR1! You trying to tell me the C7 will also??? No way!

I think the C7 was a nice attempt by GM and once its modded, it will be very more appealing. But they coulde have done wayyyy better with it

base c6 is the worst lookin' corvette ever, man...

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

To Corvette enthusiasts C5 is very distinct from C6. To the average person they are very similar, to the average enthusiast it looks like a face lifted mid cycle change.
A. best bang for the buck Corvette is probably a low mileage C5z
B. best regardless of price is going to be the C7

C6 will be neither here or there in 6 months, and arguably today. The worst buy is to buy the last stock of old cars imo. As soon as it's off the lot it's no longer a new car, and joins the mass of used C5 and C6. The C7 base will be new until the Z06 comes in. Much better buy.

As for open air motoring, this is what I think of as tough to operate:
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 5.4ever

This is just too funny!

Let's recap your statements. C6 is C5.5 ok? C7 is C6.5. That means from C6 to C7 we jump from C5.5 to C6.5, so a whole new generation! Brilliant, you agreed with me!

I would never consider buying a 370Z so yes, to me the Viper would be next choice, or maybe the base 911. RS5 would be nice too but no manual on that one. I suppose the V8 M3 is still for sale and that's cheaper the the other options but the new turbo M3 I could not care less about. The 370/350z cars are not even track-ready cars. Mid summer in California those things overheat and cook their brakes pronto. So no, it's not a comparable car. The Nissan Z cars are street only unless modified fairly extensively in the aftermarket.

You GFTO, whatever that means...GirlFriend watch your TOne?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's be frank here. You could roll on the streets in a C7 this fall and have one of the most appealing cars on the road, or you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside..
keep talking out your ***!! i'll be ROFL when you get your **** pushed in by a C6 Z06 in the streets!! thats if you are even going to get a C7

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable