Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable

Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Some of you guys are delusional!!! The C7 looks like a modified C6. Its no evolution, if the C6 was a C5.5, then the C7 is a C6.5!

And for those saying the nearest comp is the viper! Are you kidding me!!! The Viper competes with the ZR1! You trying to tell me the C7 will also??? No way!

The 370Z and the C7 are closer in comp... That sound right???

I think the C7 was a nice attempt by GM and once its modded, it will be very more appealing. But they coulde have done wayyyy better with it

And to the moron saying a C6Z looking like a base C5, lol GFTO dude!!!!
They are all DREAMERS! This reminds me of the C7 on E85 thread lots of "hopes and dreams" going on in here too!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I seriously doubt 200lbs difference. 50lbs max, and then you get the 20% stiffer chassis to boot.
link to where this 20% was said?? i know they mentioned 57% stiffer to the regular C6, but must have missed this 20% part
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
keep talking out your ***!! i'll be ROFL when you get your **** pushed in by a C6 Z06 in the streets!! thats if you are even going to get a C7
I don't race on the streets Sounds to me like you are the kinda guy cutting off a soccer mom minivan to win an imaginary race against a guy who is cruising and listening to the radio.

The large ***** award goes to those Miata drivers in the Pro divisions at the track. And no, I don't own a Miata.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

I don't race on the streets Sounds to me like you are the kinda guy cutting off a soccer mom minivan to win an imaginary race against a guy who is cruising and listening to the radio.
nice comeback chump.....
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
link to where this 20% was said?? i know they mentioned 57% stiffer to the regular C6, but must have missed this 20% part

min 30:50. I think the details are more important. For example, play particular attention to the local stiffness cues and how that compares to previous generations.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
MildBill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread was much more interesting when we were questioning the manhood of those 4 metrosexual editors. I say we go back to bashing them! Who's with me!?!?!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceJB
You do not know for a fact if it will be faster then the C7 or a better track car. The C7 should be a better track car then the C6 Zo6
No the c7 will not be a better track car. You can take that to the bank.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MildBill
This thread was much more interesting when we were questioning the manhood of those 4 metrosexual editors. I say we go back to bashing them! Who's with me!?!?!
! Yes. The guy on the right is the irritating one imo. I have nothing against the dorky metrosexual persona but that guy on the right had the worst points. I'll try to sum them here for public flogging haha:

1. The complete redesign under the skin is a "disappointment"
2. likely to fall into an "evolutionary dead end"
3. we're sticking with this model for "10-12 years"
4. interior "not inventive"
5. stingray: "not obvious what it is"

His good points were generic, like the vents contrast sharply on the red car, or that the car in real life looks better than in pictures.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 01-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I seriously doubt 200lbs difference. 50lbs max, and then you get the 20% stiffer chassis to boot.

Let's be frank here. You could roll on the streets in a C7 this fall and have one of the most appealing cars on the road, or you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside.

I think folks are seriously understating the rewards of driving the first year of a new generation. This is nearly a decade of advancements from GM packed together in one release. It's going to be great! Compare that to the near touch up the 6th gen was over the 5th... This is C4 compared to C5. C6 stands no chance in comparing to the C7.
If I snuck in a Cyber Gray C7 in my garage in the middle of the night, I guarantee that 99% of my neighbors would never notice that my old, dated, ugly, overweight, underpowered Cyber Gray C6 Z06 was gone.

A different color, maybe a couple would notice, but wouldn't care.

For 314 million Americans, who owns a C7 really isn't a factor in their daily lives. If they ran out of toilet paper, they wouldn't hesitate for a second in using a C7 sales brochure to wipe their ***.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-18-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

There are also the aero improvements on the C7, the transaxle cooling... There is also the joy of open air motoring which Imo was a huge short coming of the Z06.
That's what I really miss by having a Z06. The two hairs on the top of my head proudly blowing in the wind and the rest of my head getting sunburned.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to get rid of the removable roof! A sunroof as an option.Targa top is old hat!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Convertibles and targa tops are simply cool. It's like having a transformer car, the kid's dream of a robot, a super veloce KITT, or "hex snake skin" Viper transformer. On a lower scale, but still. With the top lid on the C7 will not have any sun rays going through, it will be almost as quiet and rigid as a hard top. Take it off and and take in the sound of the motor and elements.

I use to hate the open top cars, saying they are obnoxious and showy. I got one and now I couldn't live without one.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy on the right should just keep his mouth closed. He sounds misinformed.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default The video of the C&D editors was awful!!!

BADASS7 HAD IT CORRECT: "How about you rename title to: Car and Driver: Tested: 2013 The 4 Talking DOUCHEBAGS"

I couldn't make it through even half of the video. That video is a demonstration why Car & Driver Magazine is the worst car magazine you can buy. Those Douchebags were full of Shizt. This new C7 and the 991 911 are the best Corvette and Porsche ever made. How on earth could they be going down a dead-end. Making an Aztec is going down a dead-end. I will not renew my subscription to Car & Driver.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Easy. A used c6z06. Faster, better looking, lighter, more displacement, and a proven track performer.
Oh look, a C6 Z06 driver......what a shock to hear you put down the C7......

No need to put down the C7, the C6Z is a heck of a sports car, I owned one for 3 years so I know. But I really missed the Targa top my C6 coupe had, and frankly unless your tracking a C6Z, all its merits are being wasted away for a few romps on the gas on the street.......it was fun knowing I owned a C6Z, but it wore off over time.

The C7 looks amazing, even better then a widebody C6, along with a targa and all the advancements......its gonna be great.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TpOehEGz2s

min 30:50. I think the details are more important. For example, play particular attention to the local stiffness cues and how that compares to previous generations.
good find!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
BADASS7 HAD IT CORRECT: "How about you rename title to: Car and Driver: Tested: 2013 The 4 Talking DOUCHEBAGS"

I couldn't make it through even half of the video. That video is a demonstration why Car & Driver Magazine is the worst car magazine you can buy. Those Douchebags were full of Shizt. This new C7 and the 991 911 are the best Corvette and Porsche ever made. How on earth could they be going down a dead-end. Making an Aztec is going down a dead-end. I will not renew my subscription to Car & Driver.
Could not agree more!

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable

Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If I snuck in a Cyber Gray C7 in my garage in the middle of the night, I guarantee that 99% of my neighbors would never notice that my old, dated, ugly, overweight, underpowered Cyber Gray C6 Z06 was gone.

A different color, maybe a couple would notice, but wouldn't care.

For 314 million Americans, who owns a C7 really isn't a factor in their daily lives. If they ran out of toilet paper, they wouldn't hesitate for a second in using a C7 sales brochure to wipe their ***.
Wow...you try so hard to convince everyone not to buy a C7....guess what- it worked. I'm gonna get rid of my Corvette...and NOT buy a C7 either. If you are the typical Corvette buyer...cranky, whiney old man....who wants to be associated with that type of person?

Luckily I have a BMW and a Porsche in the garage...I won't miss the old man car stigma at all

Just know this....people like you who poo-poo change is what's gonna kill the Vette.

On Second thought....you are not buying this Vette...cool, I won't be associated with the likes of you when I drive my new car around town.

Last edited by Blancpain; 01-18-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add PS
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

The two Dbags on the right side must have just burned one before the "interview"
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
Go to a corvette club meeting or a car show

My dad started a local corvette club about 30-40 years ago locally and went back for the first time in 20 years or so. He's in his mid 60's and he said he felt like a spring chicken. None of the old guys cared about cars either. Just a ton of red automatic stock convertibles. I actually got so bored I left the meeting half way through to go out and look at the cars. There was zero car talk going on too, which was weird. I'm used to going to a car club meeting and doing nothing but talking about cars for hours. Silly me.

I also find it odd about the rear sway bar thing. Seems like a very strange thing for a car like a Vette to do. Perhaps the FE1 has stiff rear springs?
Man im sorry that doesnt sound like a good time..I've been to a couple vette meetings with the same few people and yes they were older but we did talk about corvettes. One had a c6z and another c5z. Talked abut willow springs and thier mods for hours. Also been to a huge corvette meet up near San Diego with sponsors and stuff. Wide age range with hundreds and hundreds of all gen corvettes.

Don't know about the say bar but found this from a forum member JLMounce

"sway bars are a tuning device only. There's absolutely no reason for them if your suspension package doesn't dictate it. For most cars hwoever to create that type of ideal environment where you don't need a sway bar, would require springs and shocks so stiff as to be undesirable for 99% of driving situations.
However if you're talking about exceptionally low unsprung weights along with well designed suspension geometry and pick-up points, you could certainly pull it off. Especially because the transverse leaf spring acts similarly to sway bars as well."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable