Sponsored by:

So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
NO NO NO NO NO NO. There will NOT be a 6 banger in a Corvette! Now, if the Corvette brand is expanded to other form factors like a Solice-style Miata beater or Porsche Cayanne-style SUV or Panamera-style 4 seater...possibly.
That's what BMW M drivers said about their precious all motor M5 and M3. M means high revving all motor right?? I'm echoing your NOs and wants but no matter how hard we cry it's is likely to happen. All the low hanging fruit has been grabbed in terms of improving V8 fuel efficiency. Do you see any other technology you can add to the LT1 to make it more fuel efficient in light of ever stricter CAFE regulations?

Unlike the M reality, the Corvette reality is that performance versions could still sport a V8 because it's low production. Only Hi-po versions of cars will be fuel sucking machines.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
That's what BMW M drivers said about their precious all motor M5 and M3. M means high revving all motor right?? I'm echoing your NOs and wants but no matter how hard we cry it's is likely to happen. All the low hanging fruit has been grabbed in terms of improving V8 fuel efficiency. Do you see any other technology you can add to the LT1 to make it more fuel efficient in light of ever stricter CAFE regulations?

Unlike the M reality, the Corvette reality is that performance versions could still sport a V8 because it's low production. Only Hi-po versions of cars will be fuel sucking machines.
CAFE will not be a reason for a 6 banger in the Corvette. A smaller 8 possibly.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Buying a new car is like buying a new computer. When you buy either of them the next generation is already in the plan. Unless you buy a new one every year just plan on not having the newest and the best. Like the old song says" love the one your with"....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yenko boy
That's coming to an end real soon especially for the heavier cars. There's a good reason why they need to keep the vette as light as possible.
When is real soon? 5 years, 10 years or its anyone's guess on this time frame?

My speculation is the small number of hi performance cars will retain their high HP ratings. However, I would think manufacturers would introduce more smaller fuel efficient cars to offset or minimize the need to lower HP ratings on their niche cars.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Purdue

My speculation is the small number of hi performance cars will retain their high HP ratings. However, I would think manufacturers would introduce more smaller fuel efficient cars to offset or minimize the need to lower HP ratings on their niche cars.
This...
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... Corvettes are only quicker because of its power to weight ratio.

Maybe I'm missing something?
You aren't missing anything!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

CAFE will not be a reason for a 6 banger in the Corvette. A smaller 8 possibly.
Seems logical in the context of what today's V6 looks like, no balancer for example. But today's V6 was built after the V8 with efficiency of design in mind.

On the other hand that would mean smaller pistons, and when optimized...high revs. OHV works best with large displacement large bore low revs design. A 4.3L designed in V8 configuration would be very narrow but long. The V6 would be a square. With a squarish motor packing is better in terms of weight distribution and shortening the nose. It also works better for non-corvette applications where it can be installed transverse and longitudinal.

A proper V6 is also a narrower vee, which could mean even better packaging and no balancing needed.

So let's recap, V6 can sport a narrower vee, has a more optimal footprint, it's more flexible as global powerplant, and is optimized for OHV in large displacements. Whereas a smaller V8 sports a wider vee, cannot pack weight as close to the firewall, and would be optimal for higher revs which is not OHVs strongest suit.

Imo a small displacement (4L+) V8 is great for DOHC, whereas a the same displacement on a V6 is great for OHV.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I doubt it. GM produces where it thinks there is a market. It has to make profit. You can't introduce a second subcompact only to compete against your own first, or move twice the volume of your original subcompact if no one wants to buy it. IF more smaller fuel efficient cars will move off the lot, it will be mere coincidence, or demand shocks, nothing of GMs doing.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Seems logical in the context of what today's V6 looks like, no balancer for example. But today's V6 was built after the V8 with efficiency of design in mind.

On the other hand that would mean smaller pistons, and when optimized...high revs. OHV works best with large displacement large bore low revs design. A 4.3L designed in V8 configuration would be very narrow but long. The V6 would be a square. With a squarish motor packing is better in terms of weight distribution and shortening the nose. It also works better for non-corvette applications where it can be installed transverse and longitudinal.

A proper V6 is also a narrower vee, which could mean even better packaging and no balancing needed.

So let's recap, V6 can sport a narrower vee, has a more optimal footprint, it's more flexible as global powerplant, and is optimized for OHV in large displacements. Whereas a smaller V8 sports a wider vee, cannot pack weight as close to the firewall, and would be optimal for higher revs which is not OHVs strongest suit.

Imo a small displacement (4L+) V8 is great for DOHC, whereas a the same displacement on a V6 is great for OHV.
Nice breakdown.

My reasoning is that if you thought people whined when round tail lights went away, just imagine the hew and cry that would be raised if a 6 banger made it into the Corvette. There would be riots in the streets!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we'll get the rumored 5.5 Diesel V8 that GM is developing long before the Vette gets the V6 treatment.

Personally I'm curious to see if and when the 5.5 Diesel is going to come, allegedly it's much lighter than the duramax and a good bit more rev friendly. Unless they're planning on making a lightweight sport truck maybe we'll be seeing it in a Sports Car by GM?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Nice breakdown.

My reasoning is that if you thought people whined when round tail lights went away, just imagine the hew and cry that would be raised if a 6 banger made it into the Corvette. There would be riots in the streets!
Totally! There would be a mutiny!

History says GM will not care, it is driven by engineering improvements, not popular choice. People didn't like fixed headlights. GM didn't bring back flip up headlights. Neither will it change the rear lights on the new 'Vette. It is a showcase of their new LED technology and they want it to stand out from the older cars.

People will cry about the V8 but in the end if GM thinks a V6 makes for a better car then they will carry on. Today they needed the V8. With the Viper at 640hp, the 'Stang at 660hp, the GT2 RS at 620hp, the F12 at 730hp, and the SLS at 630hp, a smaller V6, even if turbocharged could not play in this pack.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

No diesel for sure. The infrastructure is not there for personal commuting. There are only a few gas stations selling that where I live.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

No diesel for sure. The infrastructure is not there for personal commuting. There are only a few gas stations selling that where I live.
Really? I live in Rural NC and Diesel is pretty common around here. Heck all the way North on I77 there's diesel serving stations all over the place, all the way to Cleveland. Anything near an Interstate should have at least one diesel pump.
Actually now that I think on it, I can't remember the last time I saw a gas station that didn't have at least one diesel pump and or K1 pump.

There's usually at least 2 to 3 pumps at our larger stations around here.

We never had issues getting fuel for our diesel trucks and vans on road trips.

There's more than enough Diesel stations out there to fuel a potential full fleet of Diesel vettes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Really? I live in Rural NC and Diesel is pretty common around here. Heck all the way North on I77 there's diesel serving stations all over the place, all the way to Cleveland. Anything near an Interstate should have at least one diesel pump.
Actually now that I think on it, I can't remember the last time I saw a gas station that didn't have at least one diesel pump and or K1 pump.

There's usually at least 2 to 3 pumps at our larger stations around here.

We never had issues getting fuel for our diesel trucks and vans on road trips.

There's more than enough Diesel stations out there to fuel a potential full fleet of Diesel vettes
Yeah, well fancy neighborhoods in California keep diesel out. I rented a truck from Home Depot and had to go to 3 gas stations before finding one with diesel.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice breakdown.

Word!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Yeah, well fancy neighborhoods in California keep diesel out. I rented a truck from Home Depot and had to go to 3 gas stations before finding one with diesel.
I don't know why. Modern Diesels don't smoke, even after modding if the tuner is anything resembling decent. There's no soot smoke from a modern diesel. Stupid Crapifornia Strikes again?
What do they do, come over to your house with flaming pitchforks if you pull in with a Jetta TDI?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Boy my '12 coupe is looking better and better by the day. 436 horses of pure power. At least i know where my car stands. Way too much baggage surrounding the C7. Come tomorrow its off to my dealer to get my deposit back. I'll wait a couple of years and see how this plays out. I'm in no rush, these cars ain't going no where.

Get notified of new replies

To So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by red2012
Boy my '12 coupe is looking better and better by the day. 436 horses of pure power. At least i know where my car stands. Way too much baggage surrounding the C7. Come tomorrow its off to my dealer to get my deposit back. I'll wait a couple of years and see how this plays out. I'm in no rush, these cars ain't going no where.
Pure power?
It's hilarious...you want your 'deposit' back and you haven't seen one or heard one driving test?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
I don't know why. Modern Diesels don't smoke, even after modding if the tuner is anything resembling decent. There's no soot smoke from a modern diesel. Stupid Crapifornia Strikes again?
What do they do, come over to your house with flaming pitchforks if you pull in with a Jetta TDI?
It's not the emissions. It's the types of cars that generally require diesel, they are mostly commercial. My city moves all commercial activity out to create this utopia like identity. They pick up all homeless people and deposit them to the next city. I have to go to a different city even to find an Autozone or Kragen. It's residential and white collar only high rise buildings.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

It's not the emissions. It's the types of cars that generally require diesel, they are mostly commercial. My city moves all commercial activity out to create this utopia like identity. They pick up all homeless people and deposit them to the next city. I have to go to a different city even to find an Autozone or Kragen. It's residential and white collar only high rise buildings.
That sounds like a layer in hell to me. (No offense, seriously)
That type of community I think is more the exception than the norm though. Or at least I hope it is, otherwise this country really really sucks.

Quick Reply: So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7