Sponsored by:

The essence of the C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The essence of the C7

So, I saw the C7 this am at Cobo. Got there early so car was really easy to view - not too many people yet. First some background and then a few observations:

- I liked the Japnlink renderings but have not been crazy about the pictures particularly the interior
- I own and have owned several sports cars - mostly European but I did own a C6 Z06 and currently own a ZR1
- I think of the C6 and ZR1 as having a very muscular stance that i associate with US iron. Very different from say a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin which have more finesse and appear nible v. muscular.

Observation -

- I really liked the C7 in person. However, while clearly a Corvette, it is very different in character to my eye than the C6. It is not muscular (as even the base C6 is), it is more comparable to a Porsche, Ferrari or Jag in feel. This includes the interior. All very nice and very well executed.

So to me, while the car is clearly a Corvette, it has a different essence than its predecessors with maybe the exception of the very early Corvettes.

So, I will probably buy a C7, but will not sell the ZR1 even if Chevy creates a better performing version. They are really different cars. I am guessing this is what Chevy was going for and I think they achieved it. It took a while staring at the car, and liking it, to put my finger on what was different. Well done GM!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by howl
So, I saw the C7 this am at Cobo. Got there early so car was really easy to view - not too many people yet. First some background and then a few observations:

- I liked the Japnlink renderings but have not been crazy about the pictures particularly the interior
- I own and have owned several sports cars - mostly European but I did own a C6 Z06 and currently own a ZR1
- I think of the C6 and ZR1 as having a very muscular stance that i associate with US iron. Very different from say a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin which have more finesse and appear nible v. muscular.

Observation -

- I really liked the C7 in person. However, while clearly a Corvette, it is very different in character to my eye than the C6. It is not muscular (as even the base C6 is), it is more comparable to a Porsche, Ferrari or Jag in feel. This includes the interior. All very nice and very well executed.

So to me, while the car is clearly a Corvette, it has a different essence than its predecessors with maybe the exception of the very early Corvettes.

So, I will probably buy a C7, but will not sell the ZR1 even if Chevy creates a better performing version. They are really different cars. I am guessing this is what Chevy was going for and I think they achieved it. It took a while staring at the car, and liking it, to put my finger on what was different. Well done GM!!!
Thanks for sharing your impressions
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I like your interpretation...I think "essence" is a good way to put it...this is why it appeals to some and not others...even though it's still a "Corvette". I plan on getting one...but will probably keep my C6. Thanks well said...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
howl
Instructor

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Rapnrev
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a daily driver that I will be giving to my son in about 5 years. That's when I plan on buying the C7 and making my C6 a daily driver. By then all the bugs and kinks will be worked out (Hopefully) and new cosmetic upgrades will be in full effect.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by howl

Observation -

Very nicely put Howl. I agree with your comment about the C6 appearing very muscular compared to the european cars. Right now I am struggling with whether to buy a 427 Convertible while they are available or wait for a performance version of the C7. This helps.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with your assessment and want to add that I see two different personalities in the C7 just based on the somewhat limited pics we've all seen. The 'reveal' car, Torch red/Adrenalin red/black wheels/red calipers, etc. has a bad azz look whereas the Cyber Gray/tan interior/painted wheels version takes on more of a European GT look. Owner modified C5/C6's can acheive these looks as well, but not something the option book let you create. This is what's making my color/options decision more difficult than on previous models. I'll need more than one...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Thank you for your review based on personl opinion after you saw the C7 in person.

I think reviews as such help others to conclude or at least "narrow down" their own opinions.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Good to hear your viewpoint. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting. I hadn't thought about it, but I think you're correct. I like the C7 so I guess I prefer finesse over brute force.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Very well stated and a great observation. I too, without seeing the car in person, suspected this.

Maybe the C7 Z, or whatever they call it, will reintoduce more muscle.

Great post.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, less muscle and more finesse. What do you expect when they basically copied the Ferrari lines and added a few Corvette characteristics. And failed on the rear at that. I really hope the C7Z?? car brings the pain. My feelings are the C7 base missed the mark on "overall" looks but they did nail some things, just failed at others. Of course it will grow more and more on me, I love each generation of Corvette in it's own way. And it will make the C6 looked dated just as each new gen does to the last. I will keep my C6 Z06 as long as I can. I bought it because of what it is knowing it's probably one of the last of it's kind. A car I drove back in 2006 and vowed to own one day. The only previous Corvette that did that to me was a 1967 427/435. And I still have hopes to luck into one eventually. I just don't see the C7 giving me that feeling, the base anyways. Not after owning a heart pounding 500+ RWHP Z car. So I will wait patiently to see what GM releases for the high output C7 in hopes it will give me that same feeling I had back in 2006. Maybe then adding another Vette to the stable...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Good honest thoughts. Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
howl
Instructor

Thanks for your posts and kind comments. I am glad some of you found the observations helpful. Probably shows I spend way too much time thinking about cars - fun stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To The essence of the C7

Quick Reply: The essence of the C7