Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
"We will be competitive with pretty much any other car" That's an open ended statement and I believe it to be true. He could be talking about the Hi-Po versions to take on the upper echelon P-cars and Prancing horses or he could be talking about the Corvette Stingray....who knows? lol

Oh yeah I am making myself stop calling it a C7 instead calling it "StingRay" lol
You are correct it was competitive with other car and then he said Porsche and Ferrari. And yes he could have been speaking of the high performance version when they come out. What I am trying to say, is they were in the 2014 model C7 and that was what brought the subjest up. Just how much better this new generation is over the past. So for those that do not follow Corvette and it heritage that may be incline to look it over as a possible purchase may be in for a big surprise when they run up against a 911 turbo rated at 560 hp and does 0-60 in just over 3 second or a 458 Ferrari that does 0-60- 3.4 seconds with 570 hp.

Listen I am all for the new C7 and I have owned ever gen except the C1, I am just trying to say that GM is doing a great job promoting the C7, but to many people are believing that the 2014 Corvette is going to be a world beater. I say we need to get the real hard facts on what is the real hp rating (I think it is more like 470), how does the car handle on the street as well as the track. We won't be getting that info for some time now , but when we do we can really talk specific's.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran

Oh yeah I am making myself stop calling it a C7 instead calling it "StingRay" lol
That is a good idea.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing worse than a non-car person trying to cover an automotive news event. They just don't get it.

My personal belief is that whether or not it can run with a Porsche or Ferrari is really irrelevant. On public roads you would be an idiot to max the potential of the C7 or the aforementioned cars. And unless you have an endless supply of money you can't really aggressively go head to head with another car even on the track. The risk is not worth the cost of any repairs. And comparing novice lap times is more about the driver, not the car providing the cars are anywhere near competitive with each other. I promise you Michael Schumacher could best me in a C7 even if I was in an F12.

I think even when a car is "slower" it can be more rewarding to drive. Especially on public roads. I'm not saying the C7 will be slow, we all know it won't be, but it won't be Ferrari F12 or Porsche 911 GT2 RS fast.

There are so many more variables that make a car enjoyable. The responsiveness, the effort it takes to steer, to use the pedals, to change gears, the sound. Everyone has different tastes and that's why there are so many sports cars to choose from. Each great cars, but suitable to different tastes.

So whether or not my C7 will be able to run with a high end Ferrari or Porsche, I just don't care. I know it could run with some, but not all. But I do know I'm gonna have one "WACK of a lot of fun driving it". Whatever that means.

I also know it won't cost an arm and a leg every time I turn around. I've owned Porsches, what a pain in the *** they can be!

Last edited by hey32g; 01-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
That is a good idea.
Your avatar was a good idea!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hey32g
Nothing worse than a non-car person trying to cover an automotive news event. They just don't get it.

My personal belief is that whether or not it can run with a Porsche or Ferrari is really irrelevant. On public roads you would be an idiot to max the potential of the C7 or the aforementioned cars. And unless you have an endless supply of money you can't really aggressively go head to head with another car even on the track. The risk is not worth the cost of any repairs. And comparing novice lap times is more about the driver, not the car providing the cars are anywhere near competitive with each other. I promise you Michael Schumacher could best me in a C7 even if I was in an F12.

I think even when a car is "slower" it can be more rewarding to drive. Especially on public roads. I'm not saying the C7 will be slow, we all know it won't be, but it won't be Ferrari F12 or Porsche 911 GT2 RS fast.

There are so many more variables that make a car enjoyable. The responsiveness, the effort it takes to steer, to use the pedals, to change gears, the sound. Everyone has different tastes and that's why there are so many sports cars to choose from. Each great cars, but suitable to different tastes.

So whether or not my C7 will be able to with a high end Ferrari or Porsche, I just don't care. I know it could run with some, but not all. But I do know I'm gonna have one "WACK of a lot of fun driving it". Whatever that means.

I also know it won't cost an arm and a leg every time I turn around. I've owned Porsches, what a pain in the *** they can be!

Very well worded. There truly are many variables that make a car enjoyable. Sometimes the ones you've mentioned are not focused on enough. The satisfaction of Corvette ownership comes in many forms. That's what makes it so interesting.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by hey32g
Your avatar was a good idea!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
geezerman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
C7 is going to be a generation of cars that WILL run with those cars. They run with them in ALMS competition. "Competitive" is a broad term to me that encompasses everything from the value proposition to pure speed on a track.
the vette z06,..and zr1,..ALREADY run with the best of europes super-cars,..and in many cases,...best them!,..the only 911 that can take on the zr1,..in performance, and straight-line speed,..is it's turbo,..and of course, the turbo s,..which is just a hair slower than a buggatti veyron,...but,..look at all that extra coinage you have to spend, just to beat the zr1 by a fraction!,...and,..so right about the ALMS!,...last year,..the vettes walloped the 911's,..as i believe they did the year before too?!,...it's not an idle boast to say that these vettes more than keep up with europes finest,..as they do!!,...we'll see what porsche does with it's newest generation of the turbo,..and turbo s,..[ i expect it to be incredibly fast,..as in below the 3 second mark, 0-60,...but you'll still have to pay a god-awful amount just to claim that,..as always!],...just my take,..as a porsche guy,...and also a corvette lover!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

There's also a Porsche SUV. It should out run that.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by geezerman
the vette z06,..and zr1,..ALREADY run with the best of europes super-cars,..and in many cases,...best them!,..the only 911 that can take on the zr1,..in performance, and straight-line speed,..is it's turbo,..and of course, the turbo s,..which is just a hair slower than a buggatti veyron,...but,..look at all that extra coinage you have to spend, just to beat the zr1 by a fraction!,...and,..so right about the ALMS!,...last year,..the vettes walloped the 911's,..as i believe they did the year before too?!,...it's not an idle boast to say that these vettes more than keep up with europes finest,..as they do!!,...we'll see what porsche does with it's newest generation of the turbo,..and turbo s,..[ i expect it to be incredibly fast,..as in below the 3 second mark, 0-60,...but you'll still have to pay a god-awful amount just to claim that,..as always!],...just my take,..as a porsche guy,...and also a corvette lover!
The whole intent of this post was the statement made by Tadge on yesterdays CBS Morning News were it was said that the C7 will be competitive with Porsche and Ferrari. Now if there is a Z06 or a ZR1 then that is true, but to be talking about the newly debut C7 that can make unknowing people believe that the new Corvette is going to be able to take on the Europeans exotics.

As far as your statement that "so right about the ALMS!,...last year,..the vettes walloped the 911's,..as i believe they did the year before too?!,..: has nothing what so ever to do with the Street Corvette, Corvette or Ferrari. The cars you see in the ALMS series are nothing like what we drive on the street. All of the GTE cars are built to a set of rules and regulation and then IMSA impose what is known as Balance of Performance standards were they can impose a smaller air restrictor on a faster car, or add weight or even impose specific engine mapping as they did to the Viper thsi year because of the 8 liter engine was well over the max limit of 5.5 liter engine.

Quick Reply: Wack a Lot of Fun