C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different view on the 450hp/450tq numbers…

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
Guys. Guys! C'mon, we all know this is the BASE model. What we all want is the "Z06" version and what the performance numbers will be. I guarantee we will be satisfied with the "upgraded" version. The base model should cater to the taste of the average Vette owner, while people like us will be waiting for the track attack version =) It is a marketing scheme. We know how this is going to play out. Sit tight and relax for two more years. In two years, you WILL have the Vette that you are hoping for.
Agreed! Just hope it is not FI.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Guys. Guys! C'mon, we all know this is the BASE model. What we all want is the "Z06" version and what the performance numbers will be. I guarantee we will be satisfied with the "upgraded" version. The base model should cater to the taste of the average Vette owner, while people like us will be waiting for the track attack version =) It is a marketing scheme. We know how this is going to play out. Sit tight and relax for two more years. In two years, you WILL have the Vette that you are hoping for.
I was actually going to wait on the Performance version but I changed my mind and decided to go with the Z51. Decided to continue pouring that extra money into the 67 Chevelle. All bets may be off once the Performance StingRay arrives though. LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
I wonder if people understand the meaning of the word ESTIMATED
Yet again...there you are, preaching to the masses of stupidity, saving me work.

These people Kappa...these people...they just can't handle simple matters. This is all too complex for them.

They don't understand:

ESTIMATED
PEAK HP ISN'T AN INDICATOR OF ANYTHING
POWER TO WEIGHT
MAKES THE TORQUE OF LS7 UNDER 4000 AND THAT'S JUST WHAT THEY ADMIT TO NOW

Let the goddamn company SAE certify the damn motor. Let them work with some management and see where the market is at. You think GM doesn't KNOW how much damn hp the mustang has. You think they don't KNOW they need to have certain hp figures for all the people who judge a car by the hp number on the fender batch and nothing further.

Though they are smarter than all of you, they'll cater to your simplicity...don't worry.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I was actually going to wait on the Performance version but I changed my mind and decided to go with the Z51. Decided to continue pouring that extra money into the 67 Chevelle. All bets may be off once the Performance StingRay arrives though. LOL
What are you doing to the Chevelle? Any plans yet, or just general thinking about it?

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Xtreme Z06
Instructor

To the OP, I highly doubt it will be the WHP rating as that is not how the rate power for cars. Crank HP gives you a higher number so its more favorable.

Originally Posted by red2012
Doesn't everybody understand what's going on here. The C7 was released without one shred of performance data because the car is going to be a UNDERACHIEVER. They want you to get caught up in all the interior and exterior looks and all the hype that goes with it. They come out with this big reveal, show the car all over the U.S. get everybody on board on what this car can be in their minds and sell you on it with out ever showing you one road test. By the time some body does get their hands on one to test every body will be so in love with the body they wont care what the performance data is and will buy the car just on the looks and the technology. GM wont admit it but its not going to be the beast they thought it would be compared to the C6. Thats the view i get on the numbers and the whole view for not releasing any performance data in general for that matter.

Again, the motor is not SAE rated and GM has thrown out a number that doesn't really seem all that much. But there is a method to the madness. If you read red2012's post, you can see that he is just posting with the hint of emotional bias that is quite frankly unsubstantiated. Its also doesn't make sense, sorry red2012. It is you that doesn't understand. As of right now, GM needs to sell the remaining C6 lot. Potential buyers would most likely wait to buy the C7 which would force GM and Dealers to reduce the asking price of this final lot. It still cost them the same amount of money to produce and losing out on that profit is not an option if they can help it.

There is a synergy at work here.. GM would much prefer you to keep guessing on performance figures as they can wait till the end of summer. Only little bits of info will come out until the final weeks of release. In the meantime, they will most likely have a decent sale on remaining corvettes starting in march when summer driving fever hits the car guys hard. Besides, there are a few of us that will wait till year 2 and 3 passes in case there are refinements made.

Then the data will hit the fan and I wouldn't be surprised if GM OVER PERFORMS the corvette. This is do or die for GM, why else would they have gone to great lengths to radically change it? The vette is in trouble and GM is still in hot water.

Its about the bottom line, ultimately.. That is the reason why most people don't understand companies. You don't know what is happening behind the curtain. You don't have their market research and figures; plus I am sure most of your are not corporate execs.

And another thing.. Why would anyone ignore the fact that this new LT1 has about the same torque curve numbers as a LS7?? 50 Lbs/tq over a LS3 is not a big deal? With better fuel economy?

Furthermore, HP and TQ is not the end all and be all of performance. How the suspension puts that power down may be another reason for those 0 to 60 times. God knows that is why the GTR can achieve such great numbers. Not just because its AWD you know.

Last edited by Xtreme Z06; 01-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E

Though they are smarter than all of you, they'll cater to your simplicity...don't worry.

Try convincing 99% of the people on this forum that they aren't smarter than GM engineers. Especially the ones working on the C7 and have all sorts of factors to consider besides how much hp the new Mustang has. Won't happen.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
No, I just dont spew BS 8 months before a car is released to the public!
No one knows anything for sure except GM and im not even sure they are a 100% sure.
So GM has been publicly testing the C7 for a year now. And testing it in privately longer than that. We've seen the C7 driven both camo'd and uncamo'd. They showed the car at the Detroit National Auto show, the Today show in NYC, and the Barrett Jackson auto show in Arizona. There's a black and a blue one running around highways uncovered. And they even have their own private test track where they push it to the limit. After all this.. they've publicly stated several times that the 0-60 times will be under 4 seconds. And will be spending $130 million to retool the factory to build the C7 with next month.

Yet you call BS and arent 100% sure? How much more research do you think they need to do? What do you think will be changed this late in the game?

I think you might need to look up the definition of BS, my friend. And then take a good look in the mirror. Because GM isnt the one spewing it.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 01-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
So GM has been publicly testing the C7 for a year now. And testing it in privately longer than that. We've seen the C7 driven both camo'd and uncamo'd. They showed the car at the Detroit National Auto show, the Today show in NYC, and the Barrett Jackson auto show in Arizona. They have a private test track where they push it to its limit. They've stated several times that the 0-60 times will be under 4 seconds. They are spending $130 million to retool the factory to begin building this car next month.

Yet you call this BS and say they arent 100% sure? How much more research do you think they need to do?

I think you might need to look up the definition of BS, my friend. And then take a good look in the mirror. Because GM isnt the one spewing it.
Whatever Dude, you win! Your threads are tiring me!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme Z06
Again, the motor is not SAE rated and GM has thrown out a number that doesn't really seem all that much. But there is a method to the madness. If you read red2012's post, you can see that he is just posting with the hint of emotional bias that is quite frankly unsubstantiated. Its also doesn't make sense, sorry red2012. It is you that doesn't understand. As of right now, GM needs to sell the remaining C6 lot. Potential buyers would most likely wait to buy the C7 which would force GM and Dealers to reduce the asking price of this final lot. It still cost them the same amount of money to produce and losing out on that profit is not an option if they can help it.

There is a synergy at work here.. GM would much prefer you to keep guessing on performance figures as they can wait till the end of summer. Only little bits of info will come out until the final weeks of release. In the meantime, they will most likely have a decent sale on remaining corvettes starting in march when summer driving fever hits the car guys hard. Besides, there are a few of us that will wait till year 2 and 3 passes in case there are refinements made. Its about the bottom line, ultimately.. That is the reason why most people don't understand companies. You don't know what is happening behind the curtain. You don't have their market research and figures; plus I am sure most of your are not corporate execs.

And another thing.. Why would anyone ignore the fact that this new LT1 has about the same torque curve numbers as a LS7?? 50 Lbs/tq over a LS3 is not a big deal? With better fuel economy?

Furthermore, HP and TQ is not the end all and be all of performance. How the suspension puts that power down may be another reason for those 0 to 60 times. God knows that is why the GTR can achieve such great numbers. Not just because its AWD you know.
Most people here lost you at "SAE" then continued thinking 450 sucks, you suck, GM sucks and they love Obama cause he's a patriot and a damn fine american.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Most people here lost you at "SAE" then continued thinking 450 sucks, you suck, GM sucks and they love Obama cause he's a patriot and a damn fine american.
Please, no one on this site likes Obama except for me probably.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
What are you doing to the Chevelle? Any plans yet, or just general thinking about it?
1967 Chevelle it had a 327 (still got it) I was all on the LS Engine craze then I decide to go back to big block. I have a 502 with some goodies now but I want to go bigger. It was a drag car but in 2011 she got an Art Morrison frame, and a whole bunch of DSE goodies. She needs whatever engine I am going to go with and the interior done, along with new glass. I plan on having her ready by the power tour. I have also picked up a 1966 Chevelle (Vert) and a 1970 Chevelle.(Both in terrible shape) Will probably put an LS in both of those. These are to be my two sons first cars. I want to build them together with my sons. My ultimate dream is to open a restoration and speed shop, 5 year plan, and leave corporate America in about 7 years.

Sorry for typing all of that, but I get passionate about it and want to pass the passion to both of my boys. My 19 year old daughter...she's not going for it lol

Last edited by BeaZt; 01-22-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

So what if 450hp is a bit understated. The last LS3s to leave the factory are also understated a bit. The competition, BMW, Porsche, AMG are also understated a bit. It being a low bound of sorts is not unusual so for all practical purposes thinking of it as a 450hp motor is probably very much in line with comparisons one could make on the market today.

Why not be honest about it? I wanted more, I think everyone did. The moment I heard they were using DI I was hoping for more than 450hp.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
Torque is what accelerates your vehicle, not HP. HP is a function of torque and acceleration is accomplished by torque.
If torque is what accelerates a vehicle, we would all put Duramax diesels in our Corvettes. If torque is what accelerates a vehicle, the Ľ mile ET and MPH formulas would use torque, not HP. The definition of HP is it's a measure of the "rate" at which an engine does "work". To increase the speed of a vehicle, you have to add kinetic energy...the faster you add kinetic energy, the faster you accelerate. HP is energy/work divided by time so the more HP you have, the faster you can add kinetic energy and the faster you accelerate. Don't confuse F=ma with accelerating an object over a period of time...nowhere in that formula is there a time component. I can push on a 10' long pipe with 100 lbs to produce 1000 lb-ft of torque but a little 5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine developing 6 lb-ft of torque will easily out accelerate me...nowhere did I say how fast I was rotating that long pipe. If I could rotate it at 1.3 RPM, I would produce Ľ HP...5 HP will kick my azz every day.

BTW, HP is not solely a function of torque...they are mathematically related but you can measure either one independently and calculate the other. HP is its own entity and in US terms, 1 HP = 550 lb-ft/sec or stated another way, it's equal to raising 550 lbs one ft in one sec. Pure inertia chassis dynos measure HP first and then calculate torque.

Physics lesson over...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

1967 Chevelle it had a 327 (still got it) I was all on the LS Engine craze then I decide to go back to big block. I have a 502 with some goodies now but I want to go bigger. It was a drag car but in 2011 she got an Art Morrison frame, and a whole bunch of DSE goodies. She needs whatever engine I am going to go with and the interior done, along with new glass. I plan on having her ready by the power tour. I have also picked up a 1966 Chevelle (Vert) and a 1970 Chevelle. These are to be my two sons first cars. I want to build them together with my sons. My ultimate dream is to open a restoration and speed shop, 5 year plan, and leave corporate America in about 7 years.
I blame Ch@os (I think that's how his name on here is spelled?) for tempting me to go looking for my state's real tree. (A Camaro wrapped around a tree) to stuff an LSX into my C4 at some point with.

I'm managing to resist the temptation for now, but god help me if I ever find an LSX manifold that looks as bad *** as the TPI's intake, because then I'll have no excuse not to do it once I get another car to drive around. (which I'm currently looking for right now too)

Might I make a suggestion since you've already gutted the car? Go Duramax With a mild tune and setup from Gale Banks, you can have it pushing like 660+ and almost a full 1k ft lbs. I saw a Duramax Chevelle once, and it was so bad *** that I swear the guy next to it in a restod Porsche's nuts were shrinking back so hard that they were trying to come up his throat. The best part was the guy makes like 29mpg highway with it to.

The 502 you have, is it a ramjet 502? Did you get to drive the car with it in, and if so, how streetable was it?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
vandyke
Intermediate

I'm obviously a noob on this site. Never post. I feel they are going to push fuel economy more than many think. They release with 450ish HP but thrown down 30+ hwy and 20city. Those would be amazing #s to tree huggers and power heads alike. Amazing performance, aesthetics, improved interior, and you can cruise around with an avg fuel economy in the upper 20s.

I'll fully admit, I used the left hand extraction method but even though I'd love to see 500hp in the base model...mass appeal has a fuel economy component.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
I blame Ch@os (I think that's how his name on here is spelled?) for tempting me to go looking for my state's real tree. (A Camaro wrapped around a tree) to stuff an LSX into my C4 at some point with.

I'm managing to resist the temptation for now, but god help me if I ever find an LSX manifold that looks as bad *** as the TPI's intake, because then I'll have no excuse not to do it once I get another car to drive around. (which I'm currently looking for right now too)

Might I make a suggestion since you've already gutted the car? Go Duramax With a mild tune and setup from Gale Banks, you can have it pushing like 660+ and almost a full 1k ft lbs. I saw a Duramax Chevelle once, and it was so bad *** that I swear the guy next to it in a restod Porsche's nuts were shrinking back so hard that they were trying to come up his throat. The best part was the guy makes like 29mpg highway with it to.

The 502 you have, is it a ramjet 502? Did you get to drive the car with it in, and if so, how streetable was it?
If you are talking about that Green 70 chevelle with the duramax, that is pretty badass! It's not a ramjet 502, it's just one that I traded for and tinkered with. I am leaning towards a stout 555 or something over 600 cubic inches.. I've been in contact with NRE quite a bit but have yet to pull the trigger, mainly trying to wait and see what this new Stingray is going to cost.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by glass slipper
If torque is what accelerates a vehicle, we would all put Duramax diesels in our Corvettes.
This is a pretty mild setup of one.

The only reason we don't put them in our vettes is because the engine is so heavy. (+300 over a traditional SBC fully dressed)
RPM and HP ain't everything

Just imagine what that would be like in a vette or F body, vs a Chevelle or pickup truck.

Get notified of new replies

To A different view on the 450hp/450tq numbers…

Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Who freeking wants to wait 2 years? LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

If you are talking about that Green 70 chevelle with the duramax, that is pretty badass! It's not a ramjet 502, it's just one that I traded for and tinkered with. I am leaning towards a stout 555 or something over 600 cubic inches.. I've been in contact with NRE quite a bit but have yet to pull the trigger, mainly trying to wait and see what this new Stingray is going to cost.
The one I got to see was pearl white with ghosted racing stripes. Scary fast.
Well there is always the 572 (does GM still make that? It's been a couple of years since I picked up one of their catalogs).
I figured Duramax might be up your alley since alot of the Chevelle guys are switching over to it, the thing weighs as much as a big block so it's not like they are wounding the car's handling most of the time. Get you some mpgs back too

I'd love to get my hands on a 502 ramjet at some point. I know it's probably never going to happen but man that's a sweet intake. I'd get one just for the intake
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Who freeking wants to wait 2 years? LOL
No one, but don't be one of those people with "regrets" after you buy the first year model when they release some upgrades a year or two down the road. Don't forget about the first year "bugs" that may occur. I can recall many people wishing they would of waited for the C6 Z06 or the C6 GS. Unless of course, you have money falling from trees Just saying, each to their own, BUT I will be waiting

Quick Reply: A different view on the 450hp/450tq numbers…