Sponsored by:

Adding rear ducts/baffle on non-Z51

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:49 PM
yadtrebor
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding rear ducts/baffle on non-Z51

Does anyone have experience adding the left and right rear cooling baffles into a Stingray non-Z-51 ? I have a manual so I do understand the air won't be channeled by the added baffle to the trans cooler. I simply don't like the appearance of the blocked vents in the top of the rear quarters. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:06 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stingray.html
The following users liked this post:
yadtrebor (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
yadtrebor
Intermediate

Thank you, however this is the lower brake baffles. I am interested in the upper baffle that would cool the transmission on the left side and differential on the right I believe.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:47 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Yeah, I agree... they are hokey as delivered. I always thought GM should have had body-colored, flush covers for the unused fender holes instead of the faux louvers.

But hey, if they couldn't do any better than cheap spats on the top-a-the-line cars, what could we hope for on the base cars.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 542 Likes on 191 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It should be easy, but you will need to remove the rear bumper and both quarter panels.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 AM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Cheap "Spats", aren't you the one who compared the body parts to a HONDA Element????
Old 04-06-2018, 02:17 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I've done it on my non-Z51 2014 Stingray M7. I also disliked the idea of 'fake', blocked-off fender grilles. With the ducts in place, the air moves from the fendertop and exits out the rear fascia. I don't particularly care that there isn't a 'cooler' in the path, I just like it better knowing that air actually travels through those fendertop vents now.

It's a bit tedious, as you *do* need to remove the fenders and rear bumper cover. But it's not hard and the parts are cheap -- you just need the two ducts, or as GM calls them - "baffles", and a few 6mm nuts to hold the baffles on the studs. All the needed mounting studs are already in place (or at least they were on my 2014).

The actual fender-top grills are exactly the same -- just have to remove the block-off plate that is bolted on underneath them.

*If one were so inclined, they *could* just remove the fendertop vents and remove the blocker plate. That could be done without removing the rear bumper cover, and there are several videos showing just that for people upgrading to the Z06-style vents. I'm way too, um... shall we say 'retentive', and couldn't stand knowing that the ducts were *not* in place, so I went through the entire process.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-06-2018 at 02:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yadtrebor (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 AM
yadtrebor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I've done it on my non-Z51 2014 Stingray M7. I also disliked the idea of 'fake', blocked-off fender grilles. With the ducts in place, the air moves from the fendertop and exits out the rear fascia. I don't particularly care that there isn't a 'cooler' in the path, I just like it better knowing that air actually travels through those fendertop vents now.

It's a bit tedious, as you *do* need to remove the fenders and rear bumper cover. But it's not hard and the parts are cheap -- you just need the two ducts, or as GM calls them - "baffles", and a few 6mm nuts to hold the baffles on the studs. All the needed mounting studs are already in place (or at least they were on my 2014).

The actual fender-top grills are exactly the same -- just have to remove the block-off plate that is bolted on underneath them.

*If one were so inclined, they *could* just remove the fendertop vents and remove the blocker plate. That could be done without removing the rear bumper cover, and there are several videos showing just that for people upgrading to the Z06-style vents. I'm way too, um... shall we say 'retentive', and couldn't stand knowing that the ducts were *not* in place, so I went through the entire process.
I think the same way you do. Plus, I wouldn't want the air just dumping into the entire space behind the quarter. Looks like I'll be ordering the baffles and pulling the bumper off!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM
yadtrebor
Intermediate

After a bit more research I see you are right. This is what I needed. Thanks !

Get notified of new replies

To Adding rear ducts/baffle on non-Z51

Quick Reply: Adding rear ducts/baffle on non-Z51