Orange Peel & the new C-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by talon90
They have to balance lay down with a condition known as color flop. Basically an angular offset of the particles in the paint effects how they reflect light. The risk in painting everything in a particular orientation without respect to how the panel mounts to the car is color variation depending upon what angle the panel(s) are viewed at. This would present a more serious issue for owners to have their car or individual panels changing shades depending upon where you stood or viewed the car. It would make photographs of the car a mess in terms of color fastness.

Of course further complicating all of this is orange peel can present as a result of surface finish, electrostatic primer finish, primer finish, color coat finish and or primer coat finish. Any or all of the above can have an affect on the final surface of the paint. Further, in order to ensure bonding of the clear coat to the color coat the final paint applications are effectively a wet on wet where the paint is only flashed before the clear is applied. The subsequent curing allows for the two coats to interact and cross link allowing for a better bond. You don't want to go back to the factory paints of the 70's where the clear can just chip and peel off the surface.
Talon90, thank you for your very discriptive information on the modern painting process of cars.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by skank
Paul (talon90), are there colors that require more layers of product ? Do certain colors require a different mil thickness (Black vs Silver,etc.) And which colors visually hide orange peel best?
If you look at the C6 you will get a good indication of the process for the C7. All of the production colors are applied the same way. The panels arrive from the vendor precoated with an electrostatic primer. this is a surface that allows the panels to be grounded and used in an electrostatic paint process. All colors then receive a primer coat which is colored individually (either white or gray) depending upon the final color coat, then the color coat and last the clear coat. All are a three stage process. You also have what are called tint coat paints, these are the same three stage paint process but use a tinted clear coat in place of conventional clear coat. These clears are tinted with a translucent pigmentation that will affect the final color shade without having to add any additional steps.

Mil thickness of paint will vary a little by color. Some due to particle size of the particular pigments, some due to opacity of the color but most range between 1.5 and 2.0 mils for the clear (.0015" - .002") and the color coats are between .7 and 1.2 mils (.0007" - .0012").

As far as some colors doing a better job with orange peel, yes, some colors will flow better and some will actually just do a better job of hiding it, metallics for example. You can however find evidence of it in all colors. Some days some colors are better than others just due to individual lots of paint and even environmental conditions.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

If you look at the C6 you will get a good indication of the process for the C7. All of the production colors are applied the same way. The panels arrive from the vendor precoated with an electrostatic primer. this is a surface that allows the panels to be grounded and used in an electrostatic paint process. All colors then receive a primer coat which is colored individually (either white or gray) depending upon the final color coat, then the color coat and last the clear coat. All are a three stage process. You also have what are called tint coat paints, these are the same three stage paint process but use a tinted clear coat in place of conventional clear coat. These clears are tinted with a translucent pigmentation that will affect the final color shade without having to add any additional steps.

Mil thickness of paint will vary a little by color. Some due to particle size of the particular pigments, some due to opacity of the color but most range between 1.5 and 2.0 mils for the clear (.0015" - .002") and the color coats are between .7 and 1.2 mils (.0007" - .0012").

As far as some colors doing a better job with orange peel, yes, some colors will flow better and some will actually just do a better job of hiding it, metallics for example. You can however find evidence of it in all colors. Some days some colors are better than others just due to individual lots of paint and even environmental conditions.
Didn't bowling green update the paint process around 07-08 to address the early orange peel concerns?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Paul, Excellent info. Thanks much.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
My 2013 white 427 has very good paint on it! I mentioned this in the other thread regarding the C7 that the paint at 1:27 in the video looks horrible. Of course no one responded for we can't criticize the C7 w/out getting lambasted on here! Check it out, looks like lots of orange peel to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA
Of course you thought it was terrible.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Didn't bowling green update the paint process around 07-08 to address the early orange peel concerns?
The paint shop was "upgraded" in 2002 with the addition of the XLR production for the 2004 model year.

Interim changes are always underway. Working with the paint manufacturer, the robot manufacturers and technicians to balance the environmental concerns with the practical concerns of the paint line in an effort to put the best painted finish on the cars possible.

The paint shop will undergo more upgrades and modifications ahead of the production of the 2014 Corvette.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

There are improvements and modifications being made to the paint shop here in Bowling Green. With that said, there will likely be orange peel present. Short of the very high end model cars such as Ferrari where significant post processing (by hand) of the panels is conducted you will find orange peel everywhere else.

The bottom line is that with today's paints and composite materials to be painted virtually EVERY manufacturer (including Porsche) has it.

The paints are required to meet considerable environmental laws which drive up the solids content and makes flow more of a challenge. The panels will continue to be painted as they are on the C6 in the orientation that they will assemble on to the car.

The panels are composite, the paint process is an electrostatic process and you must concern yourself with grounding, gravity and paint viscosity. The paint technician must find the right balance of a thick enough paint that won't run off the panel vs a paint that will flow out smooth as it is dried. The panels are painted in the orientation that they hang on the car, horizontal panels painted horizontally and vertical panels painted vertically. Horizontal panels minimize orange peel because they have gravity acting in their favor. Vertical panels show more because as soon as you lay down the paint, gravity is acting to pull it down and off the surface so it doesn't have time to self level and flow.

The paint shop must do all of this fast enough to keep the assembly line moving while slow enough to get the best finish they can. The painted panels take 10 hours in the paint shop on the current model. They also have to balance all of this for a primer coat, a color coat and a clear coat. Same process for all colors.

Where some colors can help is the size and level of pigmentation or solids content vs. the amount of liquid (surfactants, cleaners and water)

The process has some variation in it. At the end of the day if you look long enough and close enough you will find the orange peel condition in every Corvette (and current production vehicle from GM or other marques) that you see.
Paul,
One correction....Ferrari is notorious for bad paint jobs (even now), go to Ferrarichat.com and check out threads about folks who have taken delivery of new 458's and then spent THOUSANDS getting the paint cleaned up. The local Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin dealer is very close to my office and I stop in often to check out cars I can't afford. The level of scratches (from over zealous polishing at Ferrari) and orange peel on a new Ferrari is SHOCKING. Maserati is similar to Ferrari, Aston is quite good but in the show room, you can still see orange peel.

I think we all should get used to some level of orange peel, with today's paint/clear coat compositions, literally every car has at least some orange peel. Folks that claim they have NO orange peel have never seen their cars under flourescent lights (like a showroom) or they don't know what orange peel is.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I have not seen a perfect paint job on a C6 and I have seen many. I am sure the same will be true of the C7. If you believe you have a flawless paint job you are not looking hard enough.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

The process has some variation in it. At the end of the day if you look long enough and close enough you will find the orange peel condition in every Corvette (and current production vehicle from GM or other marques) that you see.
True ... guess the question is, can GM minimize the amount of orange peel to make the paint look like it should be on a high end sports car instead of a 10K econobox? With today's technology and years of painting experience, I'd hop they can.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

My 2013 white 427 has very good paint on it! I mentioned this in the other thread regarding the C7 that the paint at 1:27 in the video looks horrible. Of course no one responded for we can't criticize the C7 w/out getting lambasted on here! Check it out, looks like lots of orange peel to me!

That doesn't look bad to me ... about as good as paint gets on a production line vehicle. You might be seeing some body panel "waviness" (not paint "orange peel") going on at 1:27.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 01-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
C7's seen at the shows.... are they not being built at Bowling Green and if so the painting is done is the same shop/equipment as the C6. Could be wrong of course
I'd bet the C7 at the shows have also had some extra hand buffing, etc done to the paint. Doubt it is in the same shape it was coming out of the spray booth.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Hmmm....paint looks "horrible" on a compressed video shown on a computer moniter. There's a shocker.

I am glad you like your 427, but jeez, can you give it a rest? WE GET IT, you don't like the C7. You have made that AMAZINGLY clear in every post. Frankly, now you are just sounding jealous that you didn't wait.

BTW, white is a very good color to conceal orange peel, go fill your car up at night (them gas station lights REVEAL ALL IMPERFECTIONS!), and you will see that it (OP) is there.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Paul,
One correction....Ferrari is notorious for bad paint jobs (even now), go to Ferrarichat.com and check out threads about folks who have taken delivery of new 458's and then spent THOUSANDS getting the paint cleaned up. The local Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin dealer is very close to my office and I stop in often to check out cars I can't afford. The level of scratches (from over zealous polishing at Ferrari) and orange peel on a new Ferrari is SHOCKING. Maserati is similar to Ferrari, Aston is quite good but in the show room, you can still see orange peel.

I think we all should get used to some level of orange peel, with today's paint/clear coat compositions, literally every car has at least some orange peel. Folks that claim they have NO orange peel have never seen their cars under flourescent lights (like a showroom) or they don't know what orange peel is.

Jimmy
Thanks. I tend to gravitate towards Ferrari for my "high end example" because I recall from the Factory show about Ferrari that they talked about paint post processing.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have not seen a perfect paint job on a C6 and I have seen many. I am sure the same will be true of the C7. If you believe you have a flawless paint job you are not looking hard enough.
Truer words never spoken.

Certain lighting conditions will bring out obvious orange peel but nothing will do it like flourescent lights. I generally challenge anyone to go in to any dealership for any marque and find a perfect paint finish on all panels of any car. Porsche, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini can all be found in the wild with varying degrees of orange peel on their surfaces.

There is only so much that can be done in a manufacturing process to offset the complications that today's paints and today's materials bring in to the equation. Less solvents, more water, different pigments and different cleaning materials all conspire against the perfect paint finish in standardized manufacturing.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'd bet the C7 at the shows have also had some extra hand buffing, etc done to the paint. Doubt it is in the same shape it was coming out of the spray booth.
Vehicles at car shows are largely hand assembled and detailed in the extreme. Production versions rarely show anything close to this level of detail expecially in fit and finish.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Thanks. I tend to gravitate towards Ferrari for my "high end example" because I recall from the Factory show about Ferrari that they talked about paint post processing.

Truer words never spoken.

Certain lighting conditions will bring out obvious orange peel but nothing will do it like flourescent lights. I generally challenge anyone to go in to any dealership for any marque and find a perfect paint finish on all panels of any car. Porsche, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini can all be found in the wild with varying degrees of orange peel on their surfaces.

There is only so much that can be done in a manufacturing process to offset the complications that today's paints and today's materials bring in to the equation. Less solvents, more water, different pigments and different cleaning materials all conspire against the perfect paint finish in standardized manufacturing.
Amen. I don't think there is ANY modern car from ANY maker that doesn't have orange peel. A friend of mine just got a new 911 (silver) and I went over to see it. It was in his garage (with flourescent lights) and the level of OP was amazingly high.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
That doesn't look bad to me ... about as good as paint gets on a production line vehicle. you might be seeing some body panel "waviness" (not paint "orange peel") going on at 1:27.
I would love to see that exact car in person, it just appears very cloudy to me but I could be wrong! You are right about the production line apsect although you'd like to think that the launch car would be flawless! Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, I've had the fortune of owning some real high end build muscle cars and street rods and they were always darn close to perfect. Quick pics of my Camaro with a 572/720 motor, see I am a GM guy!!! Hopefully you car guys will appreciate this!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Hmmm....paint looks "horrible" on a compressed video shown on a computer moniter. There's a shocker.

I am glad you like your 427, but jeez, can you give it a rest? WE GET IT, you don't like the C7. You have made that AMAZINGLY clear in every post. Frankly, now you are just sounding jealous that you didn't wait.

BTW, white is a very good color to conceal orange peel, go fill your car up at night (them gas station lights REVEAL ALL IMPERFECTIONS!), and you will see that it (OP) is there.

Jimmy
I appreciate your words Jim and who knows maybe someday I'll buy a C7 but it won't be a coupe or a base model.

Get notified of new replies

To Orange Peel & the new C-7

Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I would love to see that exact car in person, it just appears very cloudy to me but I could be wrong! You are right about the production line apsect although you'd like to think that the launch car would be flawless! Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, I've had the fortune of owning some real high end build muscle cars and street rods and they were always darn close to perfect. Quick pics of my Camaro with a 572/720 motor, see I am a GM guy!!! Hopefully you car guys will appreciate this!

Very cool car, great paint! But - how much did that paint job cost, and how long did it take?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

The car in total cost almost 100k to build and had the best of everything! The 572 by itself was around 16k, a street/strip 1200 Lenco, full tube chassis and on and on! I would say the paint was around 10k, the air brush work is the working insides of the Lenco, if you look close enough you can see the gears and the curved blade looking items are supposed to be the shift levers! Very talented man did the work! Thank you for the comment tuxnharley!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...The panels are composite, the paint process is an electrostatic process and you must concern yourself with grounding, gravity and paint viscosity. The paint technician must find the right balance of a thick enough paint that won't run off the panel vs a paint that will flow out smooth as it is dried...
So they are not painted by robots?

Quick Reply: Orange Peel & the new C-7