Sponsored by:

Orange Peel & the new C-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Many non-metallic red cars didn't have a clear coat. If you simply waxed them you could see red stains on the waxing rags. So if GM is using clear coat on non-metallic colors, then that's all good. But in the not too distant past, plain red never got a clear coat on a lot of vehicles.
My non-metallic Bright Red 1985 had clear coat.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, this is one, informative thread! I like Mike (Swiftrider), Paul, (talon) and Racer responses. I also hope that someone makes a not-so-short little Q&A thing on paint.

It could go something like this:

Q. What is orange peel?

A. talon/swiftrider/racer answer(s)

Etc. I think this would be a very helpful reference. I learned a lot just from this thread.

I still won't go out and sand down: A) my clear coat, B) my base coat of C) my primer!

Thanks guys for contributing!
I second this idea!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Has no one brought up all the swirls you could see on the red C7 in pictures? That was more shocking that the orange peel
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Many non-metallic red cars didn't have a clear coat. If you simply waxed them you could see red stains on the waxing rags. So if GM is using clear coat on non-metallic colors, then that's all good. But in the not too distant past, plain red never got a clear coat on a lot of vehicles.
You are right, many cars never had clear coat, not getting into which years, because I cannot be specific, but we used to get them come to our dealership to be painted (because of accidents, or whatever) and these cars that were once Red are now Orange from oxidization and fading from no UV protection. made trying to match them quite fun.

Quick Reply: Orange Peel & the new C-7