C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New perspective from the Brits...fun read!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses

He kinda liked it here to, in his own way. "You'd have to be bonkers to buy the Corvette, and that is why you should."

Hopefully the fit and finish will be tight and the seatbelt loop won't fall off when he drives the C7.
he is hilarious. Made of teeth and jelly. hahaha
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The growing number of comments on this article are pretty entertaining too.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang1999
I tried watching that show but it seems to be geared to 10 year olds with its simplistic humor. I guess the type of people who are entertained by all those fully scripted shows pretending to be reality shows can find top gear entertaining.
Since you're so sophisticated I guess you can go back to watching Masterpiece Theater and let the rest of us knuckle draggers continue to enjoy Top Gear.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
onedaydreamcar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As one would expect the comments are all terrible...

"WAHHH LEAF SPRING"

"WAHH PLASTIC"

"WAHH LOW HP"

Such uninformed comments. The car doesn't need 600hp to perform, leaf springs allow the car to outperform their expensive automobiles, and plastics are used on their cars too! It's weight reduction...
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM
CuzzinJack
Race Director

Allow me to give you another Brit. perspective ..

Most people here in the UK know next to nothing about American cars .Most still think of them as gas guzzling ,land barges dripping with huge dollops of chrome ..

The comments on the article are ignorant because US cars are very rare in the UK and very few have first hand experience with them ..
Hellz; i've never even seen a live C6..

Regarding the C7 .. I think it looks brilliant .. ..It harkens back to an era when US auto makers/designers had confidence and didn't give a damn what the rest of the world thought ..It's effin American - -deal with it ...

I think Brits are snobs when it comes to cars but one good thing for the Corvette is the price here for the C6ZO6 and the ZR-1 ..The ZR-1 is currently about £100k ($160k) which makes the Porsche ,Jaguar and Aston buyers take notice and investigate ...

The C7 at £50k (nearly $80k) is an absolute bargain ..

If the base C7 came here with the steering wheel on the correct side GM would make a fortune ..

P.S . The new series of Top Gear airs in the UK tomorrow ..

Edit: oops i nearly forgot ...For a couple of posters earlier in this thread-------

Last edited by CuzzinJack; 01-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I tried watching that show but it seems to be geared to 10 year olds with its simplistic humor. I guess the type of people who are entertained by all those fully scripted shows pretending to be reality shows can find top gear entertaining.
Please, top gear is far from reality tv. I do not like the vast majority of what is called "reality tv". But this show is entertaining. Even though their opinions may be scripted, the details about the car are true and you still get to see some flaws/high points of vehicles. Most of the people who are watching will never get to see al of the cars in person, yet alone drive them. Its entertainment.

Most 10 year-olds don't even know a fraction of what is going on, so that point doesn't even make sense.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
mustang1999
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Please, top gear is far from reality tv. I do not like the vast majority of what is called "reality tv". But this show is entertaining. Even though their opinions may be scripted, the details about the car are true and you still get to see some flaws/high points of vehicles. Most of the people who are watching will never get to see al of the cars in person, yet alone drive them. Its entertainment.

Most 10 year-olds don't even know a fraction of what is going on, so that point doesn't even make sense.
The humor is very simple. Maybe the brits are just not good at being funny. Maybe I am spoiled by the superior American humor. Also its very tiresome watching their totally scripted reaction to the totally scripted scenarios they find themselves in when out driving the cars. If you are able to suspend disbelief and find their over fake over acting to situations in an attempt to be humerous funny and entertaining then good for you.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Racer
Wow, Top Gear actually really liked it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

The humor is very simple. Maybe the brits are just not good at being funny. Maybe I am spoiled by the superior American humor. Also its very tiresome watching their totally scripted reaction to the totally scripted scenarios they find themselves in when out driving the cars. If you are able to suspend disbelief and find their over fake over acting to situations in an attempt to be humerous funny and entertaining then good for you.
Superior American humor? You mean like Two and a Half Men or Broke Girls? Give me a break! Ever watched the original version of The Office? Probably not because you almost surely wouldn't get it. You can't even spell humorous right so I seriously doubt you have the market cornered on figuring out what's funny and what isn't.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by BMadden
Superior American humor? You mean like Two and a Half Men or Broke Girls? Give me a break! Ever watched the original version of The Office? Probably not because you almost surely wouldn't get it. You can't even spell humorous right so I seriously doubt you have the market cornered on figuring out what's funny and what isn't.
I watched 5 min of Two Broke Girls and instantly regretted it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I watched 5 min of Two Broke Girls and instantly regretted it.
That's 5 more minutes than I've ever tried watching of it.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
Don't worry that dope Geremy will still talk utter rubbish about live rear axles and ox carts whatever. Doubt he would know a live rear axle if it bit him on the bum. And he certainly knows nothing about unsprung weight either.

Top Gear is for non car people to watch to see just how stupid the poor ol poms can be at times - it is everything but a car review show.

Obviously ol Geremy is not a dope but a savvy guy who knows the masses watch rubbish because amazingly the show rates high - but then so does other trashy stuff.

Anyhow I can just see him pretending to chase some European car around the track in the C7 but ensuring he has foot flat to the floor trying his best to make the tail spin away then claim it doesn't handle lol. What a tool. But a funny tool at times.
You give "Geremy" way to much credit. I think he is actually as stupid as he sounds on the show.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

While I was on the fence about buying a C6, one of the things that pushed me over was finding out that Clarkson purchased a ZR1 himself. He had always approved of the C6, but had complaints about its "plastic" inside & out. While he picked on the car, he loved it enough to buy one.. and we all know people pretty much spend their money on what their hearts truly desire.

He may be a pompous British azzhole who seemingly picks & complains about everything. But you know what.. I like that. And the fact that he was impressed enough with the C6 to choose it. Was one of the final vettings I needed to know the car would impress me. Well atleast enough to make 5 years of payments on one. I applaud Clarkson's attitude because 1) he holds back no punches and 2) he's generally right. While I love the enthusiasm of a carnut like Jay Leno, reality is Jay is going to like everything and almost never complain. That does little to help when Im trying to spend my hard earned money.

I have no doubt.. some iteration of the C7 will also be in parked in Clarkson's garage in the near future. And that sooner or later.. a C7 will also be parked in mine.

Quick Reply: New perspective from the Brits...fun read!