C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Someone making 60k a yr afford the base c7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
There is no way any knowledgeable person can give you sound financial advice without seeing a photo of your fiance.
How did the rest of us miss this?!

D'oh.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
vexC7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes 60k is just me household we make 100k...I forgot to add I live in a part of Wisconsin that cost of living is pretty low..I built a brand new house for 125k 5 yrs ago..my insurance would be around 65-80 a month..in 2011 my 2010 camaro ss was 55 a month
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vexC7
Yes 60k is just me household we make 100k...I forgot to add I live in a part of Wisconsin that cost of living is pretty low..I built a brand new house for 125k 5 yrs ago..my insurance would be around 65-80 a month..in 2011 my 2010 camaro ss was 55 a month
And no kids?

I would think you could safely afford one. Only problem is that your savings are a bit on the low side. Did you just recently pay off some student loans or something? Otherwise in your position, I would think you should have saved more by now.

... I guess I'm getting pretty personal now, but hey, you asked.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

some of the best advice I have ever received:

Never finance anything that depreciates in value. (House being only exception).

If your household income is 100k per year, you should be able to buy it cash relatively quickly. Exercise some patience, don't be a typical U.S. CONSUMER, and you should be sitting pretty within a few years.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 01-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

So you buy all your cars cash?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
vexC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
And no kids?

I would think you could safely afford one. Only problem is that your savings are a bit on the low side. Did you just recently pay off some student loans or something? Otherwise in your position, I would think you should have saved more by now.

... I guess I'm getting pretty personal now, but hey, you asked.
No kids and yes it should be.more but I had a spending habit when I was younger...but I saved 10k in a yr and half ....I just paid cash for a 2005 4wd suv so I will drive this car full time till I'm ready for the c7
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never finance anything that depreciates in value. (House being only exception
I disagree. The value of financing depends entirely on the terms of the loan.

If you can finance at a low interest rate, then it is worth it, even if you have more than the necessary amount of cash to buy it outright.

No kids and yes it should be.more but I had a spending habit when I was younger...but I saved 10k in a yr and half ....I just paid cash for a 2005 4wd suv so I will drive this car full time till I'm ready for the c7
Well then as long as you're confident in your ability to be financially responsible from this point forward, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you'll still be able to save money even while paying for the Vette.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pittperson
Long story short, sure, it's possible... you're going to get a thousand different answers here.

- A financial advisor will say you're nuts.
- A gear head will tell you to put a down payment on one TODAY
- A level headed person will tell you to think about your future, retirement and unexpected expenses
- A cheap *** will tell you a used pinto will get you from point A to point B just as well as a C7

Edit: I'm a financially well off level headed cheap ***, but a specific event lead me to buy my C6 based on the "you only live once" motto.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
vexC7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I disagree. The value of financing depends entirely on the terms of the loan.

If you can finance at a low interest rate, then it is worth it, even if you have more than the necessary amount of cash to buy it outright.

Well then as long as you're confident in your ability to be financially responsible from this point forward, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you'll still be able to save money even while paying for the Vette.
I saved 10k in a yr making a $400 a month payment on my camaro..I just sold camaro 2 more.this ago
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
So you buy all your cars cash?
Yes. Don't ask for the details. I am not going there on this forum. That is my advice to the man, I don't expect everyone to agree.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
There is no way any knowledgeable person can give you sound financial advice without seeing a photo of your fiance.
lol, and even then the financial advice would probably be innaccurate unless the photo was nude.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

If your household income is 100k per year, you should be able to buy it cash relatively quickly. Exercise some patience, don't be a typical U.S. CONSUMER, and you should be sitting pretty within a few years.
Yes. Don't ask for the details. I am not going there on this forum. That is my advice to the man, I don't expect everyone to agree.
on all accounts!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by VADanno
You can also get a GM credit card, and 5% of your purchases over the next couple of years will reduce the price of a new C7. ALWAYS pay off the bill every month and avoid the late charge/interest fees. Right now the max discount on a Vette is $3000; that's $60,000 in purchases. Gas/food/cable...all your standard expenses will add up. If you do any business travel, use your card and get reimbursed for it. I'm waiting until I can get a C7 for less than MSRP. That will likely be a 2015, which means most of the new design bugs will be cleared up. I'm also interested in a DSG for my Vette, so I will wait to see when that option is available. My target is $50,000 for a DSG 1LT. I might dig a little deeper for a Z51 package, as long as it's less than $5000. My financial advisor told me many years ago never to borrow money for a car. Save your money until you can pay cash.
I thought there were no GM credit cards anymore? Can you let me know which bank offers them today? If there is a way of getting one I'm going to get one asap.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Achmed
Drifting

I'd disagree in cases where one is certain that their future income will be greater. For example, say person A is married and his wife is in school, not working and needing tuition money from person A. Now Person A knows his combined income will be great in a few years and sufficient to pay the car off + save for retirement, I'd say he's in a good spot to finance.

Another example, person B chose a career that has a relatively level salary range for the next few years, but is likely or almost certain to get a promotion with a significant pay increase by putting in 2-3 years of time. I think this person woudl be in a good position to finance it now so he can drive his dream car for the next 2-3 before inevitably having the income needed to buy one with cash.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

My financial advisor told me many years ago never to borrow money for a car. Save your money until you can pay cash.

ABSOLUTELY!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

When I was kid making a lot of money and living at home (dotcom days) I had no problem making a big payment.

Now that I'm much older, a home owner and still doing quite, I'm still very hesitant about pulling the trigger on a C6Z due to 50k costs.

At your yearly, you COULD but I would never do it. Absolutely no way.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my situation ...my mortgage payment is $755 and my fiancé pays for all other expenses like electricity water Internet cable and groceries...I have 1 cc in which will be paid off once I decide to get a vette...I know people say only spend 20-30% of your yearly income..but if I take out a 6 yr loan at 2.9% with 7000 down payment will be around 500-550 a month...and looking to get a used c7 not a new one...thoughts?
When was something as nice as a Corvette EVER AFFORDABLE? When I bought my first Corvette in 1972, it stickered for $6,100 - the same amount as a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. At that time, you could buy a very nice '72 Monte Carlo for around $3,500. After putting my wife's '67 Cougar and $500 down, my payments were still $138.50 a month. To put that into perspective, my house payments at that time were $197.00 a month.

World Class anything is never "affordable". Price a good bottle of Champagne. Just sayin' . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Can Someone making 60k a yr afford the base c7?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
chiromed0
Advanced

Afford? NO> Buy? YES.

It always pays to wait but it hardly ever satisfies. Do you want a good deal or a great big smile on your face?

Make sure your job is stable b/c the second it's gone that Vette ain't going to matter much. Believe me I know!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

This is more relationship advice than car buying advice, but I'm going to say it anyway.

It's a mistake to think of your income as $60K and your expenses as $755/mo. Your income is whatever you and the fiance make together, your expenses are whatever the both of you are spending, and you need to negotiate what you spend the remainder on, or at least how much of that remainder is yours to spend on your own.

.Jinx
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
This is more relationship advice than car buying advice, but I'm going to say it anyway.

It's a mistake to think of your income as $60K and your expenses as $755/mo. Your income is whatever you and the fiance make together, your expenses are whatever the both of you are spending, and you need to negotiate what you spend the remainder on, or at least how much of that remainder is yours to spend on your own.

.Jinx

I'll add this (more good advice I was given):

when a saver marries a spender, the saver is poor in marrage AND poor in divorce.

Quick Reply: Can Someone making 60k a yr afford the base c7?