C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else in same boat as me? (the type of C7 I will have)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,551 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Anyone else in same boat as me? (the type of C7 I will have)

Hi all,

Really asthetically love the z51 car over the 'base' car... however, can't justify 5K (projected cost) over base car for things I really won't use for the street only..

The z51 wheels look great but also don't want 20s for street driving especially where I live and drive to (NJ and NY). So aftermarket will definitely have these in OEM base sizes and probably offer competition gray as well which will be nice option as well as black and alloy.

I really do not like the baby spoiler/lip on the base car either. The z51's rear spoiler genuinely completes the rear and I love it. Luckily aftermarket will have one that I assume fits around the OEM / OEM can be removed and insert this.

Figure $850 or so for wheels, and $200-300 for spoiler and you are at $1000 give or take.

To me that will really complete the look of the car and make it more aggressive. Like I said for my use I don't see the justification for the rest of the z51 package. If I tracked it I would get it but I don't. Asthetically though it looks much better than the base car, and what I just said above seems to be the only external differences.

Anyone in the same boat as me?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO If you're going into the base C7 from a C6 Z06 you will notice a big enough difference in the over all performance such that you may not appreciate your decision to forgo on the Z51 option.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

I gotta have the Z51 package....Its a must have for me
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Hi all,

Really asthetically love the z51 car over the 'base' car... however, can't justify 5K (projected cost) over base car for things I really won't use for the street only..

The z51 wheels look great but also don't want 20s for street driving especially where I live and drive to (NJ and NY). So aftermarket will definitely have these in OEM base sizes and probably offer competition gray as well which will be nice option as well as black and alloy.

I really do not like the baby spoiler/lip on the base car either. The z51's rear spoiler genuinely completes the rear and I love it. Luckily aftermarket will have one that I assume fits around the OEM / OEM can be removed and insert this.

Figure $850 or so for wheels, and $200-300 for spoiler and you are at $1000 give or take.

To me that will really complete the look of the car and make it more aggressive. Like I said for my use I don't see the justification for the rest of the z51 package. If I tracked it I would get it but I don't. Asthetically though it looks much better than the base car, and what I just said above seems to be the only external differences.

Somewhat. I'm between DC/Baltimore and drive frequently back to NJ/Philly on the same crappy roads & I-95 so 20" are overkill in my case as well. I'm going to have wait and see what the base suspension is like - hopefully compliant enough to allow real world driving. I love the full width Z51 spoiler and definitely would spring for it. Wheels should be easy enough to get.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Seems like a rational approach.

Will be interesting see just how big the incremental cost is from standard coupe to Z51. The re-sale market will likely value the Z51 higher, but you'd probably not get the full up-front increment back in any event on re-sale.

Nothing wrong with getting the standard coupe and making it like you want for a 1k bump rather than a 5k bump.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the same boat as you. Love the look of the Z51, but if they price is at the $5k mark then I don't think I can justify that cost.

$2500-3000 and they would have my money.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I gotta have the Z51 package....Its a must have for me
Z51/MSRC/VTPE - This is the trifecta of performance must-haves for me…

Now, about that L88 engine & some carbon ceramic brakes…
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

The base will suck *****, spend the extra!
I saw the Z51 at BJ and it looks 10 times better than the base cars.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't see the justification for the rest of the z51 package.
that's where I was with my C5 as well; and one reason I ordered the 1SA non-Z51.

My days of taking every curve as if it's the last lap of the Indy 500... are long gone. I prefer the base "softer" suspension.

As far as the Z-51 spolier; I like the C7 rear in both configurations - equally well. I don't need the Z51 style spolier.

For me, about the only "must have" element of the Z51 package is the rims. And there's toooooo many aftermarket options available; so that I don't have get nicer rims from the GM assembly line.

I seriously doubt I will order the Z51 for my base C7.

Although, I completely understand & support those that think the Z51 is a must. Different boats for different strokes...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Go fast or go home. Z51 for me. Waiting with bated breath to see what the halo model holds.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tires on the Z51 will be way to expensive to replace, as the C7 will be my daily driver... I agree with the OP without a doubt.

1. Base care will be lighter, and will be a much better application for the drag strip. I'm not a huge fan of taking turns fast; more of a strait line performance kinda guy.
2. I LOVE the Z51 wing... i will be buying one
3. oil changes will be much cheaper in the base care

assigned from the z51 wing, i really have no needs for the other performance upgrades.

I will be going for "Performance exhaust, and 2lt" with my money savings!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Hi all,

What is the difference/downside of having larger wheels/tires for street driving? Besides replacement cost!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,551 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by harley2
What is the difference/downside of having larger wheels/tires for street driving? Besides replacement cost!!
THe ride quality is compromised. Also, when you infact hit a pot hole which you do in this area of the USA, the 19s have more sidewall and in return have a greater chance of sustaining less or no damage vs what would happen with a 20" that has probably a /20/20 or /25/20
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe ride quality is compromised. Also, when you infact hit a pot hole which you do in this area of the USA, the 19s have more sidewall and in return have a greater chance of sustaining less or no damage vs what would happen with a 20" that has probably a /20/20 or /25/20
I've been going over the same situations over and over in my head especially since I use the car as a daily driver and came up with this...

Buying the Z51 and keeping the 19's and 20's for fun and then buying some discarded base wheels wrapped in a set of all season tires for normal everyday driving. The only thing I worry about is the base wheels clearing the larger brakes. If that ends up being an issue, I'll have another set of Z51 wheels with all season tires and be forced to scout all roads before I drive on them.

When buying the car, get the wheel and tire insurance. It'll pay for itself after the first inevitable bent wheel.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

The big attraction to me in the Z51 is the bigger brakes and MSRC. This is going to be my commuter so I don't need the larger or stickier tires. I'll work a couple track days in, but I'm not trying to break any records, just out to blow off some steam and have a little fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will wait for the (rumored) L88 package to come out...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

All I really want from the Z51 package is the wheel options (but not necessarily the size increase,) the spoiler, the gear ratios, and the ability to get MRC. I'm hoping GM will allow more of a mix-and-match selection when final production begins.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else in same boat as me? (the type of C7 I will have)

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I'm betting the diameter of the tire and wheel will be virtually the same (19" and 20"). The difference will we the side wall width. The 20" will have a skinner sidewall, equals virtually no sidewall flex in turns.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

One other thing to consider is without the Z51 and magnetic ride you will not have the five suspension settings (should be really neat). I want the suspension settings and will sacrifice things like optional wheels, performance exhaust, brake caliber colors and go with a no extra cost exterior color, to keep the cost within reason.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My thoughts are this: if anyway possible get the options you want because there's nothing worse than getting your brand new car and later regretting not getting an option you wanted.

Quick Reply: Anyone else in same boat as me? (the type of C7 I will have)