Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the tacky mods stop with the C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Edited: I deleted the crude remark about the "Stuck in the mud" club.

I should really appauld their efforts to maintain "purity" like so many virgins. I expect an Abstinence Club to pop up anytime. Good luck with that!

I'll be here in a few years with my modded C7.

Be sure to keep them stock and treat them well, I want mine in superb condition.

Last edited by sfc rick; 02-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

It's going to be funny to watch the gold chain set fitting those ridiculous chrome louvers over these new style taillights. But they will find a way I am sure, along with every other piece of chrome crap they can stick on there. As long as it makes them happy and keeps the economy going, it's cool. Sure does look like azz though IMO.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
It's going to be funny to watch the gold chain set fitting those ridiculous chrome louvers over these new style taillights. But they will find a way I am sure, along with every other piece of chrome crap they can stick on there. As long as it makes them happy and keeps the economy going, it's cool. Sure does look like azz though IMO.
You know there will be a resurgence of the chrome Z51 emblems all over the C7 by their owners trying to prove their car is as good as a Z06.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've been a Corvette owner for many years and I'm still waiting for the "Official Book of Approved Corvette Modifications" so I can make sure I don't **** anyone else off while I enjoy my Corvette.

I really wish more people would simply enjoy their Corvette(s) instead of not enjoying others peoples Corvettes.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
As long as there is an Auto Zone or J.C. Whitney catalog nearby the mods won't stop..
Add mid america motorworks to that list.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Add mid america motorworks to that list.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
I'm sure the aftermarket suppliers will find all manner of tasteless gee-gaws to take some $$$ from your wallet.

For me, the first "mod" will be to remove the "stingray" badges. I might find someplace else inside the car to put 'em, but I don't like the placement - they just look like an afterthought.
stingray badges = tasteless gee-gaws
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

Interesting view. There are those of us who view most of the electronic crap on cars today as needless clutter to. Give me a nice simple analog Vette that has 500 hp and weighs under 3000 lbs. I dont really care what it looks like. I cant see it when I am driving it anyway.

I view all the so called high tech to be no different than the chrome brigade. If it does not contribute to performance you dont need it.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
My first mod will be a license plate frame that reads:

"My other car is a double wide"
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Interesting view. There are those of us who view most of the electronic crap on cars today as needless clutter to. Give me a nice simple analog Vette that has 500 hp and weighs under 3000 lbs. I dont really care what it looks like. I cant see it when I am driving it anyway.

I view all the so called high tech to be no different than the chrome brigade. If it does not contribute to performance you dont need it.
There are 69s for sale all over the world. I think that'll meet your criteria. You'll probably also get dusted by a C7.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
There are 69s for sale all over the world. I think that'll meet your criteria. You'll probably also get dusted by a C7.

A GT-R will dust your C7. Why are you buying a C7 & not a GT-R? BTW, do you make a living with your track time, will you track your C7, or simply endanger others by reckless driving on the street.? In the big picture, the things you are thinking are so important may matter very little as far as performance.

The bottom line is black wheels, carbon fiber trim that really changes little in the overall performance of your car are just as much a fad & bling as chrome or an emblem.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
My first mod will be a license plate frame that reads:

"My other car is a double wide"
I think a popular frame will be "my other car IS a Camaro"
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will the tacky mods stop with the C7?

Not if I have anything to do with it. Going to load mine up with everything the market comes out with and some of my own invention. Can't wait.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I've been a Corvette owner for many years and I'm still waiting for the "Official Book of Approved Corvette Modifications" so I can make sure I don't **** anyone else off while I enjoy my Corvette.

I really wish more people would simply enjoy their Corvette(s) instead of not enjoying others peoples Corvettes.

Oh please!! Let's say you lived in a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood and you had a new neighbor move in next door. And let's say that neighbor painted their house hot pink and put a neon green roof and astro turf on the lawn would you still say this????

These cheap add-ons are mostly tacky and don't belong in a car such as the Corvette.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Oh please!! Let's say you lived in a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood and you had a new neighbor move in next door. And let's say that neighbor painted their house hot pink and put a neon green roof and astro turf on the lawn would you still say this????

These cheap add-ons are mostly tacky and don't belong in a car such as the Corvette.
Florida HOAs don't allow that!

The other extreme would be to move into a neighborhood with all the houses the same design, same color and same landscaping. It would get pretty boring if all Corvettes were silver with black interiors. (Even though I like that combo)

Believe me, I laugh at tacky mods as much as the next guy, I just don't obsess over it like some owners. I'm no purist and I modified my current C5 Corvette to my liking, however I also had another Corvette owner at a local show literally whine like an 8 year-old brat who didn't get his way in a toy store because my LED tail lights were modified and were "tacky" because they were not OEM, even though his OEM tail lights had SS skull and crossbone covers! That's why I can't understand why people get so upset over what other people do to their cars.

I can't visualize the C7 with as many aftermarket mods that the C5 and C6 generations had, however I know there are creative vendor minds already at work...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Not my point. What one man sees as needed another will see as fluff. I dont need heated seats to go fast and handle well. Why not make a true base car?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Florida HOAs don't allow that!

The other extreme would be to move into a neighborhood with all the houses the same design, same color and same landscaping. It would get pretty boring if all Corvettes were silver with black interiors. (Even though I like that combo)

Believe me, I laugh at tacky mods as much as the next guy, I just don't obsess over it like some owners. I'm no purist and I modified my current C5 Corvette to my liking, however I also had another Corvette owner at a local show literally whine like an 8 year-old brat who didn't get his way in a toy store because my LED tail lights were modified and were "tacky" because they were not OEM, even though his OEM tail lights had SS skull and crossbone covers! That's why I can't understand why people get so upset over what other people do to their cars.

I can't visualize the C7 with as many aftermarket mods that the C5 and C6 generations had, however I know there are creative vendor minds already at work...

I wished there was a similar type of HOA, let's say COA that wouldn't allow cheap and tacky add-ons lol. Btw, your add-ons do not seem cheap or tacky, but you know what I'm talking about?

Get notified of new replies

To Will the tacky mods stop with the C7?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Not my point. What one man sees as needed another will see as fluff. I dont need heated seats to go fast and handle well. Why not make a true base car?
Try a Modded Miata!

It's called progress. Look at almost every other Sports car/Super car out there and they have a lot of "fluff". Times have changed and most people want the complete package now.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a clue...make all the mods you want but if you bring them here to CF asking for 'approval' or comments, be ready with some thick skin.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I'm doing the remove the rear license plate mod. I havn't decided what to replace it with, but it will be lit up at night!!!! Sting ray emblem maybe?

Quick Reply: Will the tacky mods stop with the C7?