Sponsored by:

CAGS Eliminator for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
You can always cut the wire of the solenoid which prevents the gear stick from moving when CAGS is active.
That will set a CEL and a code. The ECM wants to see a resistance at the end of that circuit (i.e. the resistance of the solenoid coil or a CAGS Defeat resistor).
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
That will set a CEL and a code. The ECM wants to see a resistance at the end of that circuit (i.e. the resistance of the solenoid coil or a CAGS Defeat resistor).
OK then just replace it with similar resistance like you said.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

If I wanted a computer to tell me what gear to be in, I would buy an automatic transmission.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
If I wanted a computer to tell me what gear to be in, I would buy an automatic transmission.
Absolutely!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
OK then just replace it with similar resistance like you said.
This still will trip CEL on 09-10 viper. Before you and others jump on corvette not being a viper, please try to understand viper example is only used to demonstrate this can be done by the manufacturer. Until someone gets a C7 and successfully disables CAGS, this can go either way since GM has not made any statements at all regarding making encryption publicly available or CAGS on C7 being defeat friendly.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom/99
Computer already tells the engine, brakes and suspension what to do. Unless you switch to old car, you just have no choice.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petermj
This still will trip CEL on 09-10 viper. Before you and others jump on corvette not being a viper, please try to understand viper example is only used to demonstrate this can be done by the manufacturer. Until someone gets a C7 and successfully disables CAGS, this can go either way since GM has not made any statements at all regarding making encryption publicly available or CAGS on C7 being defeat friendly.
Any reason the Viper can't be defeated by putting in a blown smart fuse for the solenoid, like I did and many do on the Corvette?

But even so, how about a simple solution.. unbolt the solenoid from the transmission, so when it actuates it does not interfere with the shift lever.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hig4s
Any reason the Viper can't be defeated by putting in a blown smart fuse for the solenoid, like I did and many do on the Corvette?

But even so, how about a simple solution.. unbolt the solenoid from the transmission, so when it actuates it does not interfere with the shift lever.
Once again, you cannot do this without tripping off the CEL (Torque Management ECU feature). The ECU encription was never released by Chrysler and apparently never will be. However, you can readily purchase a 1500 bucks worth of TRACK ONLY performance ECU sold through your Chrysler dealer that will eliminate CAGS, among other things. Pretty handy way for SRT to make extra profit.

As I said, hopefully GM will not copy Chrysler with this approach while trying to please the environmental regulators.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

120k miles on Manual transmission skip shift equipped vehicles and clearly I never activate it on my cars. I believe shifting out of first gear after 21 mph or 19mph does not allow the skip shift to activate..

(when at proper operating temperature)

Its such a non event for me...I have for years wondered why CAGS is so hated...

I never shift out of first at such a speed so CAGS never activates..

JMO and I wonder if anyone else out there never sees ..or so rarely sees CAGS activate in their cars its a non event as long as it helps the General avoid gas guzzler taxes etc..
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
120k miles on Manual transmission skip shift equipped vehicles and clearly I never activate it on my cars. I believe shifting out of first gear after 21 mph or 19mph does not allow the skip shift to activate..

(when at proper operating temperature)

Its such a non event for me...I have for years wondered why CAGS is so hated...

I never shift out of first at such a speed so CAGS never activates..

JMO and I wonder if anyone else out there never sees ..or so rarely sees CAGS activate in their cars its a non event as long as it helps the General avoid gas guzzler taxes etc..
That depends on how the electronic throttle and CAGS itself are set up. On C6 Corvette, it is very inobtrusive, however, on the viper, it is truly aweful. As I said, until the cars are available to test it, this can go either way.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If you purchased a spare solenoid and mounted it to the car's superstructure near the transmission, and then unplugged the solenoid in the transmission and then plugged in the spare solenoid, wouldn't you defeat the CAGS yet would have a solenoid in the circuit to prevent CEL's?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If you purchased a spare solenoid and mounted it to the car's superstructure near the transmission, and then unplugged the solenoid in the transmission and then plugged in the spare solenoid, wouldn't you defeat the CAGS yet would have a solenoid in the circuit to prevent CEL's?
Interesting idea. Not sure how the solenoid is wired up though?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I HOPE I'M WRONG... but here is my prediction:

#1 - Like AFM, CAGS on the C7 will not be straightforward to defeat.

#2 - CAGS defeat devices will not be available as aftermarket equipment.

My reasoning (and again; I HOPE I'M WRONG): Like AFM, CAGS activates during EPA fuel economy test cycles, and therefore it affects the GM CAFE. The EPA is increasingly alert to OEMs "gaming" emissions and FE tests (e.g., by employing anything that can be easily deactivated) and aftermarket equipment equipment companies selling "defeat devices" (the legal term used in lawsuits that have cost OEMs $100 million in one case, and aftermarket equipment companies $6 million in another case).
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Interesting idea. Not sure how the solenoid is wired up though?
I didn't say spare solenoid but I did say move it not disconnect it, so it wouldn't throw a code but wouldn't interfere with the shifter.

here is the connection.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I didn't say spare solenoid but I did say move it not disconnect it, so it wouldn't throw a code but wouldn't interfere with the shifter.

here is the connection.
The point of my post about the spare solenoid was...there seems to be simple way to circumvent the Vipers computer and not get a CEL yet still not have the CAGS operating.

Of course, as we all know, the 2.2K ohm resistor in place of the Corvette's solenoid(aftermarket CAGS eliminator) fools the computer into believing the solenoid in still in the circuit, when it isn't. The electrical connector is nothing more then a two wire waterproof connector. I find it hard to believe the Viper does not have something similar to connect the transmission solenoid to the computer via a couple of wires. Disconnect the electrical connector on the Viper's Tremec TR6060 transmission and connect a cheap resistor(or an expensive solenoid) across the two wires and you have defeated the computer throwing a CEL.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

The point of my post about the spare solenoid was...there seems to be simple way to circumvent the Vipers computer and not get a CEL yet still not have the CAGS operating.

Of course, as we all know, the 2.2K ohm resistor in place of the Corvette's solenoid(aftermarket CAGS eliminator) fools the computer into believing the solenoid in still in the circuit, when it isn't. The electrical connector is nothing more then a two wire waterproof connector. I find it hard to believe the Viper does not have something similar to connect the transmission solenoid to the computer via a couple of wires. Disconnect the electrical connector on the Viper's Tremec TR6060 transmission and connect a cheap resistor(or an expensive solenoid) across the two wires and you have defeated the computer throwing a CEL.
K, maybe I did not make it clear, you can use the bypass module/resistor on the viper and it will work defeating CAGS. However, after about 6 starts and 100 miles, CEL will come on. Torque Management system configuration in 09/10 is responsible for this part. MOPAR offers a replacement ECU that I am guessing reconfigures TM to eliminate CAGS input altogether. This is why the only way you can defeat CAGS is through software. Since the software is locked and Chrysler will not release it, there is nothing anyone can do, breaking down the encription code can be very expensive and time consuming.

Now, I have seen indications that GM may disallow aftermarket tuning on C7, if GM does this, the CAGS may not be defeatable anymore. We shall see what actually will happen.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

K, maybe I did not make it clear, you can use the bypass module/resistor on the viper and it will work defeating CAGS. However, after about 6 starts and 100 miles, CEL will come on. Torque Management system configuration in 09/10 is responsible for this part. MOPAR offers a replacement ECU that I am guessing reconfigures TM to eliminate CAGS input altogether. This is why the only way you can defeat CAGS is through software. Since the software is locked and Chrysler will not release it, there is nothing anyone can do, breaking down the encription code can be very expensive and time consuming.

Now, I have seen indications that GM may disallow aftermarket tuning on C7, if GM does this, the CAGS may not be defeatable anymore. We shall see what actually will happen.
That sounds as if the Viper looks at 6 cycles to see if the car was shifted into 4th gear when the computer engaged the CAGs and somehow looked to see if the engine was lugged down(or seeing the corresponding drop in engine RPM when shifting 1st to 4th after the shift was completed) vs just seeing if there is current flow through the solenoid(or CAGS eliminator resistor) as with the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS Eliminator for C7?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

That sounds as if the Viper looks at 6 cycles to see if the car was shifted into 4th gear when the computer engaged the CAGs and somehow looked to see if the engine was lugged down(or seeing the corresponding drop in engine RPM when shifting 1st to 4th after the shift was completed) vs just seeing if there is current flow through the solenoid(or CAGS eliminator resistor) as with the Corvette.
I am guessing here but I think there is a set of parameters used to arrive at the condition warranting CAGS to kick in that was included in TM, this is why bypass trips off the CEL (other conditions are not met, like input from throttle control). So yes, this is not a simple voltage drop solution that could be used. You actually have to reprogram the puter. If I knew that, I would be thinking harder about buying the viper.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

1st has anyone actually tried with a second solenoid, or removing and letting the solenoid hang? Perhaps the computer does not see a current/voltage spike of a solenoid engaging.

2nd How does the computer know the car did not skip shift or not once the solenoid is defeated?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

1st has anyone actually tried with a second solenoid, or removing and letting the solenoid hang? Perhaps the computer does not see a current/voltage spike of a solenoid engaging.

2nd How does the computer know the car did not skip shift or not once the solenoid is defeated?
Two words: Torque Management. Not just CAGS kicking in but also results of CAGS kicking in that are expected and monitored.

Quick Reply: CAGS Eliminator for C7?