Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
marcussoori
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Default CAGS Eliminator for C7?

According to this link, the C7 will have skip-shift:

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...oeing-for-you/

How long do you think it will take after C7s are delivered for this part to be sold?
marcussoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Send a message via AIM to jvp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussoori View Post
How long do you think it will take after C7s are delivered for this part to be sold?
I'll bet you a dollar the existing CAGS eliminators can be used. If not, it'll take precisely 2 seconds for a new one to be built.

jas
__________________
"It's not a car, it's a Superman suit. You don't drive your Corvette, you wear it. And when you're wearing your Corvette, nothing can hurt you." All Corvettes are Red
jvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
petermj
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
I'll bet you a dollar the existing CAGS eliminators can be used. If not, it'll take precisely 2 seconds for a new one to be built.

jas
You may want to look at the 09-10 and current viper-CAGS cannot be defeated in these cars without actually replacing the controller by track only OEM performance part (about 1500 and illegal on the street).
petermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
-CM-
CF Senior Member
 
-CM-'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: . Wyoming .
Default

How does one have to drive to keep the skip shift from engaging?
-CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Raitzi
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Espoo, Finland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CM- View Post
How does one have to drive to keep the skip shift from engaging?
Like a mad man. You won't notice in on a track.
If there is CAGS in Euro-version that can not be disabled easily, automatic C7 is the only option for me or another make altogether.
Raitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Dave@Kerbeck.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Dave@Kerbeck.com's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Atlantic City NJ
KerbeckCorvette KerbeckCorvette davesalvatore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CM- View Post
How does one have to drive to keep the skip shift from engaging?
CAGS only kicks in if you are shifting from 1st to 2nd at a low RPM which you should never do to begin with. This is why I've never understood the fascination with this mod. You can actually get to 50 MPH in 1st gear without red-lining your car so why do people insist on shifting all the way to third before they get to 40 MPH?

Dave
Dave@Kerbeck.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Send a message via AIM to jvp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com View Post
This is why I've never understood the fascination with this mod.
I'm with you 100% on this one Dave. Over the years, GM's done so much work to tighten down the actual parameters (RPMs, speed, engine temps, etc) that CAGS actually kicks in, that it's very difficult to run into it. I have to actually try to on my 2010.

There exist a lot of people that don't like the car's computers telling them what to do. Those folks generally don't understand that CAGS is a gift to us from GM. It's easy to get around, and it saves us all a bunch of money at purchase time. It's really nothing but a win for everyone.

jas
__________________
"It's not a car, it's a Superman suit. You don't drive your Corvette, you wear it. And when you're wearing your Corvette, nothing can hurt you." All Corvettes are Red
jvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
AFVETTE
CF Senior Member
 
AFVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Swansea IL
Default

Rat's and I thought the C7 M7 with AFM/DOD wouldn't need the CAGS to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Bummer, but easily py-passed with a $20 gizmo. That was my first mod on my 99, 03, 06 and 07 M6 vette's.
AFVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Those folks generally don't understand that CAGS is a gift to us from GM. It's easy to get around, and it saves us all a bunch of money at purchase time. It's really nothing but a win for everyone.

jas
Are you saying that it saves us money because it prevents the gas guzzler tax from being added?
Corgidog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
NYC-Style
CF Senior Member
 
NYC-Style's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
I'm with you 100% on this one Dave. Over the years, GM's done so much work to tighten down the actual parameters (RPMs, speed, engine temps, etc) that CAGS actually kicks in, that it's very difficult to run into it. I have to actually try to on my 2010.

There exist a lot of people that don't like the car's computers telling them what to do. Those folks generally don't understand that CAGS is a gift to us from GM. It's easy to get around, and it saves us all a bunch of money at purchase time. It's really nothing but a win for everyone.

jas
The car actually goes from 1st to 3rd...without the CAGS installed. The car would then bog down...which I would hardly call a gift from GM. The CAGS completely eliminatd that nuisance...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
NYC-Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Send a message via AIM to jvp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidog1 View Post
Are you saying that it saves us money because it prevents the gas guzzler tax from being added?
Correct. Or in the case of the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1, reduces the GG tax. CAGS first appeared on the '89 C4s to avoid the GG tax, and was spread to a few of the other 6-speed manual-equipped cars (F-bodies, etc). Starting in '96, it was integrated with ODB-II, making it impossible to just disconnect the plug and NOT light the CEL. But, folks quickly realized that a small resistor attached to the right plug would do the trick.

GM's always known that, too. It's a gift.

jas
__________________
"It's not a car, it's a Superman suit. You don't drive your Corvette, you wear it. And when you're wearing your Corvette, nothing can hurt you." All Corvettes are Red
jvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
slief
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
slief's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Simi Valley Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidog1 View Post
Are you saying that it saves us money because it prevents the gas guzzler tax from being added?
It's a combination of things that result or at least resulted in a lack of Gas Guzzler tax. In order to avoid that Tax, a car has to average 22.5 miles per gallon as of 2012. The Corvette on the highway has no issues exceeding that number however, in the city that is a different story. In order to raise city fuel efficiency and increase the overall average fuel efficiency, CAGS was implemented as it helps to keep RPM's down thereby lower fuel consumption when putting around town.

Moving into 2014 models years, fuel efficiency requirements have increased and have forced manufacturers to go even further with their efforts to increase average MPG year after year. As such, we are going to see cylinder deactivation along with CAGS.

CAGS kind of bugged me because I get stuck in a bit of traffic every morning on my way to work and that skip shift just seemed unnatural. I suppose I could have gotten used to it or increased my RPM but that can be hard to do in stop and go traffic. As such, I eliminiated it.

Personally, I think anything they can do to increase MPG is a good thing. If I have to get used to CAGS because it can't be blocked out, then so be it. I also think cylinder deactivation will be a good thing provided it's not intrusive and can be disabled via the mode settings via sport mode if I want.

I remember buying a new BMW and paying gas guzzler tax which wasn't cheap. When I bought my first C6, I was thrilled and even shocked to not see that on my invoice. I was even more thrilled to get the kind of fuel economy on a high HP car and reap the rewards everytime I fill up. Living in So. California, our fuel prices are off the charts compared to most states and when you fill up with super unleaded it really hurts if you care about that stuff. Thus in my mind, if I can have a great performing sports car that gets exception gas milage and avoids extra taxes as a result, I am all for it.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
John_R
CF Senior Member
 
John_R's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Default

Okay this article got me confused some what, probably due to lack of sleep (21 hour work day) and my concentration is nil this morning.

In the article it states,

Quote:
Simply grab the paddles as you turn on the twisting back roads. Or, you could even shift for yourself through the sections of a track that you have nailed, and then grab the paddles for Active Rev Matching on the trickier corners.
So from my understanding it means whenever I upshift or downshift I must grab the paddles?

I was led to believe the paddles was an on/off type of switch, as in you click on it, to turn it on, and click on it again to turn it off, but this article makes it sound I must constantly grab the paddles whenever I shift if I want to Rev match.
John_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
John_R
CF Senior Member
 
John_R's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Correct. Or in the case of the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1, reduces the GG tax. CAGS first appeared on the '89 C4s to avoid the GG tax, and was spread to a few of the other 6-speed manual-equipped cars (F-bodies, etc). Starting in '96, it was integrated with ODB-II, making it impossible to just disconnect the plug and NOT light the CEL. But, folks quickly realized that a small resistor attached to the right plug would do the trick.

GM's always known that, too. It's a gift.

jas
Learn something new everyday, had no idea cags existed in the C4 back in 89.
John_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermj View Post
You may want to look at the 09-10 and current viper-CAGS cannot be defeated in these cars without actually replacing the controller by track only OEM performance part (about 1500 and illegal on the street).
I bypassed the CAGs on my 2009 Z06 using the same identical aftermarket $20 eliminator that is used on the C6's built before it. I did not purchase a $1500 OEM part to bypass my CAGS.

Unplug the electrical connector at the transmission, insert dummy plug into the transmission to keep dirt out, and plug the eliminator into the wiring harness from the computer. The eliminator is nothing more then a 2.2k ohm resistor mounted in a GM connector, so it is a "plug-and-play" unit.
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com View Post
CAGS only kicks in if you are shifting from 1st to 2nd at a low RPM which you should never do to begin with. This is why I've never understood the fascination with this mod. You can actually get to 50 MPH in 1st gear without red-lining your car so why do people insist on shifting all the way to third before they get to 40 MPH?

Dave
You have to go above 2200 RPM(19 MPH) to keep the CAGS from forcing you to shift from first gear to fourth gear.

In traffic, I prefer to shift in to second gear at around 1700 RPM, and since I'm shifting into second gear, my LS7 does not lug down.
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Aaron Keating
CF Senior Member
 
Aaron Keating's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Default

What RPM does CAGs kick in on the current vettes? Is it still 1800 or lower, like it is on the Gen 4 F Bodies and C4 vettes?

If so... man I can't think of anytime, ever that I had to worry about CAGs... but then I do kind of drive spiritedly.. I don't shift till 2k minimum!

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 02-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Aaron Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Wow, hard to believe we are even talking about this now...
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Raitzi
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Espoo, Finland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_R View Post

I was led to believe the paddles was an on/off type of switch, as in you click on it, to turn it on, and click on it again to turn it off, but this article makes it sound I must constantly grab the paddles whenever I shift if I want to Rev match.
That quote was wrong. He meant to drive without auto-revmatch.
Raitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Kappa
CF Senior Member
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_R View Post
Okay this article got me confused some what, probably due to lack of sleep (21 hour work day) and my concentration is nil this morning.

In the article it states,



So from my understanding it means whenever I upshift or downshift I must grab the paddles?

I was led to believe the paddles was an on/off type of switch, as in you click on it, to turn it on, and click on it again to turn it off, but this article makes it sound I must constantly grab the paddles whenever I shift if I want to Rev match.
Its an on/off switch.
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page CAGS Eliminator for C7?
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Emails & Password Backup