C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Can't say I have and I've had a drivers license since 1956. A lot of cars under the bridge since then.
I've seen at least 8 cars with that problem over the years including a truck of mine. Locked up or total breakage of the cable.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Just more tech stuff to go wrong and make the car un-affordable to future owners.
Which could be a boom to older vettes without all the tech. Tech is neat so long
as it works.
Wow.. I can only imagine how difficult the migration was for you going from the old rotary telephone to non roatary phones. The transition to coardless phones must have been equally as daunting for you.

Did you have an issue adapting to HD TV or migrating from your beloved CRT to the newer plasma and LCD TV's?

I hope you realize that I am just playing around with you! I know sometimes it's hard accepting new technology but I don't think there is a car manufacturer that isn't adopting new technology whether it's LCD displays in the console or leverless emergency brakes. It's a sign of the times and its a trend that has continued since the beginning of time. As hard as it may be, this trend is for the better and you will learn to embrace it or accept it at the very least. Fortunately, for the most part, new technology has not let us down and I expect that the new electronic parking brake with prove to be very reliable. It's not really like it's new technology anyways. It's been used for years in cars like BMW. My wife has it in her car and it works just fine.

Last edited by slief; 02-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens when you're cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and your 4 year old grandson has his hand resting on the center console and pulls up the E-brake button?
#1 why is a 4yr old in a corvette
#2 why are you driving 75mph w a kid in the car
#3 how long is that kids arms
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
BillyK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=

We'll have to see if GM's since reprogrammed the controller to disallow activation while the car is in motion.

jas[/QUOTE]

I would think that this would be the case. That thing is to easy to pull up.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PUREVOL
Is there a law against 4 year old kids in a Corvette(in the passenger seat) if they are buckled in? Isn't the air bag automatically turned off if a light weight kid is in the passenger seat?

Speed limit in many places is 75 MPH. Will a 4 year old kid die of some mysterious disease if they travel at 75 MPH?

Kid sitting in the passenger seat can rest his left arm on the center console, thus can reach the P-Brake button located on the center console.
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by texvette2
Just more tech stuff to go wrong and make the car un-affordable to future owners.
Which could be a boom to older vettes without all the tech. Tech is neat so long
as it works.
I think the days of electronics going to hell with age is over.
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PUREVOL
#4 what if he shifts into reverse at 75MPH???
#5 what if he opens the door????
#6 what if this happens in an even numbered month that ends in a "Y"?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Is there a law against 4 year old kids in a Corvette(in the passenger seat) if they are buckled in?
In most states, YES - a child of that age has to be in some kind of booster seat. That would make it pretty difficult to reach the console (I would hope).
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happens when you're cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and your 4 year old grandson has his hand resting on the center console and pulls up the E-brake button?
Nothing at all, since it has an electronic interlock to prevent it from engagement while moving. It does not work like an old school parking brake. From what I undertsand, and it may have been preproduction information, since the regular brakes have active real time information on performance, they will give you a warning before failure. AND the two ends may be operated together but are physically seperated by an electronic valve/circuit that is monitored. It would be almost impossible to lose the entire system all at once. I have never heard of that in a Vette in recent memory, but the C7 is eons ahead of my memory...

Last edited by 81pilot; 02-06-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
In most states, YES - a child of that age has to be in some kind of booster seat. That would make it pretty difficult to reach the console (I would hope).
http://www.ehow.com/list_6776611_fro...hild-laws.html

I live in Missouri which has no such law,as do the majority of the other 49 states.

What about those millions of trucks that only have a front seat. Are kids not allowed to ride in those either?

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81pilot
Nothing at all, since it has an electronic interlock to prevent it from engagement while moving. It does not work like an old school parking brake.
Read post # 18. It seems GM hasn't been paying attention to you in the past.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
wdurham
Advanced

Basic GM vehicles like the Chevy Equinox have this electronically controlled P-brake. I had a rental with one over a year ago. If you have the engine off, you can hear the electric actuating motor for 2 - 3 seconds while it engages.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
wdurham
Advanced

Basic GM vehicles like the Chevy Equinox have this electronically controlled P-brake. I had a rental with one over a year ago. If you have the engine off, you can hear the electric actuating motor turning for 2 - 3 seconds while it engages.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm. Let's see. Maybe cut his hand off! Then again, that is what I have an SUV for. All kidding aside, as I understand it, that won't be an issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
C7envy
Racer

Why are you people arguing over something so silly? I just wanted to see where the parking brake was now thats all lol. Thanks for answering the question.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The 4 year old scenario if it happened would be your fault...4 year olds should still be in a car seat...and if so there would be no way they could reach the e-brake button.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
The 4 year old scenario if it happened would be your fault...4 year olds should still be in a car seat...and if so there would be no way they could reach the e-brake button.
For your amusement, take a 4 year old(okay to borrow one from a neighbor) and put him in the front seat of your Corvette and fasten the seat belt. Place a piece of candy in the approximate location of the P-Brake button(used in the C7) on your Corvette's console. See how long it takes the 4 year old to grab the candy.

Now put him on a stack of phone books(approximately 4-5" high, to represent a booster seat) and fasten the seat belt, and repeat with the candy.

I bet you will find that the booster seat actually made it easier for the 4 year old to reach the candy.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-06-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, is there ANYTHING that doesn't cause a pissing match on the C7 forum....

Wanna see old men bitch and moan and act like old women, just visit the C7 forum. it;s getting old.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by C7envy
Why are you people arguing over something so silly? I just wanted to see where the parking brake was now thats all lol. Thanks for answering the question.
I'm sure the engineers and GM's lawyers have it all figured out.

Michael
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

http://www.ehow.com/list_6776611_fro...hild-laws.html

I live in Missouri which has no such law,as do the majority of the other 49 states.

What about those millions of trucks that only have a front seat. Are kids not allowed to ride in those either?
No, not saying they can't ride in front. Just saying they're required to be in a booster seat. For your state, the law is as follows:

Missouri's Child Restraint Law
(RSMo 307.182)

• Children less than 4 years old or less than 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat.

• Children ages 4 through 7 who weigh at least 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat or booster seat unless they are 80 pounds or 4'9" tall.

• Children 8 and over or weighing at least 80 pounds or at least 4’9” tall are required to be secured by a safety belt or buckled into an appropriate booster seat.

Back on topic, I hope 81pilot is correct. The redundancies built into modern braking systems make using a handbrake for an "emergency" obsolete. It is now more correctly called a "parking" brake.

Last edited by MidLifeinMI; 02-06-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?