C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The End Of Power Mods With C7/LT1 PCM? (Serious Question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default The End Of Power Mods With C7/LT1 PCM? (Serious Question)

I can't help wonder that with cylinder-deactivation and other tighter PCM controls over the C7 LT1, that anything requiring a new tune will be trouble for the C7. Bad news for Corvette tuners? Will race teams avoid this LT1 engine?

No Long-Tube Headers
No Cams
No Superchargers

Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nobody knows. Nobody...including all the people on the other threads about this.

We're DOOMED! DOOMED! DOOMED! DOOMED! DOOMED! DOOMED! DOOMED!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nah... Just likely the end of requiring dyno tuning for the majority of the mods you can do.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Race teams will not run the same pcm as the production car.

If the pcm really uses public key encryption, it will be un-breakable / tunable.

The white paper I read was written by Texas Instruments oem group; the standards for using public key encryption would call for a different key for each ecu, meaning even if you hacked one, it would not be repeatable.

So you could still tune it, but you would need a 5-10k standalone to do it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Cylinder shut off can be removed from the current motors that have it. I don't see why the same couldn't be done here. I am sure the PCM will be flashable like any other that GM has put out.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't GM offer an LT1 to LT5 conversion kit for the old LT motors? If tuning is going to be a major PITA, maybe they'll do that again. Heads, cam, intake and ECU kit would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRTA
Cylinder shut off can be removed from the current motors that have it. I don't see why the same couldn't be done here. I am sure the PCM will be flashable like any other that GM has put out.
If it encrypted, you will not be able to flash it.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I read somewhere in the past year an interview with one of the corvette engineers, where they felt the performance aftermarket was kinda symbiotic, helped overall with selling vettes. The C7 will have headers, cams, intakes, blowers - just like the C6, because its good business, so why not?

Last edited by v26278; 02-09-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak3150
Didn't GM offer an LT1 to LT5 conversion kit for the old LT motors? If tuning is going to be a major PITA, maybe they'll do that again. Heads, cam, intake and ECU kit would be awesome.
This is what I am thinking as well. When the LT1 engine becomes available as a crate engine, it will need to come with an open ECU so the customers can adapt the engine to the car it will be implanted into. Now, even that kind of an ECU could come locked and require certain hardware to work properly (or adapt to any common configuration), but that is less likely in my opinion. If and once such an ECU is out, I'm sure some would put it into a C7 and see what it does
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
This is what I am thinking as well. When the LT1 engine becomes available as a crate engine, it will need to come with an open ECU so the customers can adapt the engine to the car it will be implanted into. Now, even that kind of an ECU could come locked and require certain hardware to work properly (or adapt to any common configuration), but that is less likely in my opinion. If and once such an ECU is out, I'm sure some would put it into a C7 and see what it does
Not really...stand alone ecu would likely not be compatible to communicate with other computer modules in the car and definitely wouldnt allow traction/stability control to remain functional.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Nah... Just likely the end of requiring dyno tuning for the majority of the mods you can do.
What?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Or you could select sport or track mode, which turns it off, and save all that money. Plus, keep your warranty intact.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
What?
I think he is implying the ECU will adapt to the mods but then again, he made the statement, not me.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the same concerns, which I voiced in the days before the release. I'm content to sit and wait until EFILive and HPTuners have their hands on the e92 PCM.

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Or you could select sport or track mode, which turns it off, and save all that money. Plus, keep your warranty intact.
Or not. Thanks for being so very helpful.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
I think he is implying the ECU will adapt to the mods but then again, he made the statement, not me.
Yeah that's completely false and wishful thinking was my point.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Entirely possible. I would think it would be just a matter of programing a wider variety of paramiters in the stock tune. If the ECM recognizes more air intake flow, it adjusts A/F accordingly, for example. While maintaining proper emission standards for those in "sniff test" states? I really don't know for sure, just kinda talkin out my ....

But I could see the possibility, at least for the simple bolt ons. Now cams and internals might be a whole different story.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
I can't help wonder that with cylinder-deactivation and other tighter PCM controls over the C7 LT1, that anything requiring a new tune will be trouble for the C7. Bad news for Corvette tuners? Will race teams avoid this LT1 engine?

No Long-Tube Headers
No Cams
No Superchargers

Guys, AFM won't activate while in sport or track mode. Just an FYI. Here's a quote from a video with one of the Corvette engineers explaining this:

...especially now that you can have the active fuel management system. And that is one thing that... it's really in control of the driver; talking to customers, you know people; you know, "I want the V8 all the time." Again, depending on what mode you're in. If you're in the, you know, the track mode or the sport mode - or whatever - you can have the V8 mode all the time. You put it in the eco mode and you get the... So the driver still remains in control of that; even though all you have to do is hit the accelerator and it will... and it will... it will change. But you know when you're cruising around, 70... 65... whatever...
Here's the video I found that quote in. He starts talking about this at 43 minutes in.

Originally Posted by gatti-man
What?
Read below.

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Entirely possible. I would think it would be just a matter of programing a wider variety of paramiters in the stock tune. If the ECM recognizes more air intake flow, it adjusts A/F accordingly, for example. While maintaining proper emission standards for those in "sniff test" states? I really don't know for sure, just kinda talkin out my ....

But I could see the possibility, at least for the simple bolt ons. Now cams and internals might be a whole different story.
I'm a software engineer myself. I can tell you that when I write software, I never write it with specific parameters that can't be fully adjusted to work on any platform at any time, even during run-time.

In the past, this would have been difficult due to hardware resource limitations. But these days, computer and IC hardware is so good and inexpensive that software can be written to handle situations where parameters can change dynamically and chain reactions of "child" processes and "forked" threads can be updated/modified to continue to work properly and in an optimal fashion.

While I'm a pretty good programmer, I'm sure the software engineers GM hires for ECU development are far better than I am in software development. That being said, and considering GM has already described the ECU's hardware as fully modern and able to handle millions of operations per second now, I would venture a guess that the GM engineers didn't write their software with fixed or "static" hard-coded variables, but rather, every engine's ECU learns from the ground up and builds its parameters dynamically. So in theory, no matter what mods you do to your motor, it will be able to work with those mods as if they were dyno-tuned in.

After all, if a motor's ECU knows the basics of what makes the engine run (and run efficiently) and has all the sensors (data input) to effectively manage 100% of the base life-support variables for the engine, there's no reason the ECU can't effectively tune itself for any mod under any fuel type and in any environment dynamically. Doing so would ALWAYS yield the most efficient results no matter what day it is.

Get notified of new replies

To The End Of Power Mods With C7/LT1 PCM? (Serious Question)

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

In the past, this would have been difficult due to hardware resource limitations. But these days, computer and IC hardware is so good and inexpensive that software can be written to handle situations where parameters can change dynamically and chain reactions of "child" processes and "forked" threads can be updated/modified to continue to work properly and in an optimal fashion.

While I'm a pretty good programmer, I'm sure the software engineers GM hires for ECU development are far better than I am in software development. That being said, and considering GM has already described the ECU's hardware as fully modern and able to handle millions of operations per second now, I would venture a guess that the GM engineers didn't write their software with fixed or "static" hard-coded variables, but rather, every engine's ECU learns from the ground up and builds its parameters dynamically. So in theory, no matter what mods you do to your motor, it will be able to work with those mods as if they were dyno-tuned in.

After all, if a motor's ECU knows the basics of what makes the engine run (and run efficiently) and has all the sensors (data input) to effectively manage 100% of the base life-support variables for the engine, there's no reason the ECU can't effectively tune itself for any mod under any fuel type and in any environment dynamically. Doing so would ALWAYS yield the most efficient results no matter what day it is.
I'm not all that computer savvy, but this looks like it could be some really cool stuff. The one thing that keeps hitting me about this car, between the chassis and now this, is that they seem to be making the C7 one single foundation for the future models. When the LT4 powered car comes out, it's just a matter of the putting in the upgraded motor and supporting pieces, and the rest of the car is set. No more making two or three completely different cars. A very cost effective move on GM's part if this is the case.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Dynamic tuning is very possible, and probable, however when making major changes such as a cam upgrade or FI, the real question becomes how far will the nannies let the motor drift? Will it change valve timing or spray duration to fully take advantage of the upgrades, or retain some sort of factory profile with respect to emissions, to dumb down the mods?
I think at least one of the tuners has already announce their intention to buy an early model to start trying to crack the code. Like anything, there certainly will be some point where they get in, but the question really becomes how soon?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
well if it can be turned off , then thats a VERY good thing for the c7 !

Quick Reply: The End Of Power Mods With C7/LT1 PCM? (Serious Question)