Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
michaelinmech
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
michaelinmech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania
Default The movers and shakers behind the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...n=awdailydrive
michaelinmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. Fun to see Maximum Bob in there.
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
matthewelle
CF Senior Member
 
matthewelle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: PTown CA
Default

Spin, Spin, Spin.....
The car is now more european, and therefore avant-garde .
Becuase we all know that europeans like it avant-garde not vanilla american old school.

Whateverrrr...

Bob says it's more international now... Bob knows cars.

Last edited by matthewelle; 02-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.
matthewelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer
 
BWF07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Harbor not far from Sebring Florida
/jack.tipton.16
Default

Here is an issue and I think it is the issue that has me a little on the fence with the new design. Bob Lutz said "it is a much more international in design, and I think that is a good thing" next "it is still very much American in proportion and detail" finally he says, "but it is not so overtly American that it would offend people that prefer European design".

Why are we so worried that it looks European and that it does not offend anyone that like the European designs over American design. I have owned at least one of every generation except the C1 and the Corvette has always been known as an American Icon. Does this now mean that is not the case any longer, that for some reason we now have to be more of a European style.

Sorry, but that is one of the reason I am on the fence, it has nothing to do with the tail lights, or the Stingray on the side, or the black vents and the amount of black on the diffuser, it is the European flare that the Corvette now carries. A side view especially say Ferrari F12. I would have much preferred a new design that still said American and we can still kick your butt.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Kappa
CF Senior Member
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
Here is an issue and I think it is the issue that has me a little on the fence with the new design. Bob Lutz said "it is a much more international in design, and I think that is a good thing" next "it is still very much American in proportion and detail" finally he says, "but it is not so overtly American that it would offend people that prefer European design".

Why are we so worried that it looks European and that it does not offend anyone that like the European designs over American design. I have owned at least one of every generation except the C1 and the Corvette has always been known as an American Icon. Does this now mean that is not the case any longer, that for some reason we now have to be more of a European style.

Sorry, but that is one of the reason I am on the fence, it has nothing to do with the tail lights, or the Stingray on the side, or the black vents and the amount of black on the diffuser, it is the European flare that the Corvette now carries. A side view especially say Ferrari F12. I would have much preferred a new design that still said American and we can still kick your butt.
I think this car says we can kick your butt a lot aggressively than the original C6 did.

Let's not forget that the C6 was supposed to more Euro than the C5 because of its more angular looks and small dimensions.

In the end, it still looks like a Corvette IMO.
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewelle View Post
Spin, Spin, Spin.....
The car is now more european, and therefore avant-garde .
Becuase we all know that europeans like it avant-garde not vanilla american old school.

Whateverrrr...

Bob says it's more international now... Bob knows cars.
Bob was also the mover and shaker behind the Solstice and the Sky. I wonder how many of them were sold last year in Europe? or in the US?
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer
 
BWF07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Harbor not far from Sebring Florida
/jack.tipton.16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

In the end, it still looks like a Corvette IMO.
My point exactly, it was still the all American icon.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Turbooo2u
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Providence RI
Default

You have to wonder what the car would have been if GM was flush with cash during its gestation period.
Turbooo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
I think this car says we can kick your butt a lot aggressively than the original C6 did.

Let's not forget that the C6 was supposed to more Euro than the C5 because of its more angular looks and small dimensions.

In the end, it still looks like a Corvette IMO.
And the "original" C6 was effectively replaced by the larger more aggressive looking GS, Z06, ZR1 and the 427 Convertible.

You think the 2014 C7 will kick the Z06's or the ZR1's or the 427 Convertible's butt. It will be lucky to run even with the "old fashion" C6 GS or the "original" C6 with the Z51 option.

Maybe the new C7's aggressive exhaust will win the "sonic" race over the "original" C6. LOL
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer
 
BWF07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Harbor not far from Sebring Florida
/jack.tipton.16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
I think this car says we can kick your butt a lot aggressively than the original C6 did.
Well except there are only a few cars out there right now that the C7 will be competitive with of the European cars such as the Cayman and the Boxster, base 911, Audi TTR, and maybe a few others. Until such time as they produce the next high performance model (s) where they can be compared to the Viper, Ferrari 458, F12, Porsche Turbo, Lamborghini it is not going to do well in the automotive publications.

I realize that the Cars I mentioned that the C7 is not ready to take on cost a lot more more then the Stingray, but the Corvette is always judged by how it stacks up against those cars, and after all GM made that statement that they want to have the European flare.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

It is so fun to read some of these posts. It seems like everyone just thinks this euro influence is so new. It isn't and it goes back to why the Corvette came to be just as surely as the Corvette is the reason why the Cobra (made directly from an AC) came to be.

European sports cars were the entire influence. NOT American...and that is why it was so special at the time, to appeal (in part) to the U.S. Forces who were now home who had been around sports cars in Europe. It needed the V8 to really take off but the two-seat sports car form is NOT American.

Believe it or not, it isn't the 1950's anymore and just selling to Americans isn't enough. GM has to be a global company and it has to have a bit more european styling to appeal to those audiences.
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer
 
BWF07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Harbor not far from Sebring Florida
/jack.tipton.16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOx View Post
It is so fun to read some of these posts. It seems like everyone just thinks this euro influence is so new. It isn't and it goes back to why the Corvette came to be just as surely as the Corvette is the reason why the Cobra (made directly from an AC) came to be.

European sports cars were the entire influence. NOT American...and that is why it was so special at the time, to appeal (in part) to the U.S. Forces who were now home who had been around sports cars in Europe. It needed the V8 to really take off but the two-seat sports car form is NOT American.

Believe it or not, it isn't the 1950's anymore and just selling to Americans isn't enough. GM has to be a global company and it has to have a bit more european styling to appeal to those audiences.
I thing the majority of Corvette owner/drivers realize how the Corvette came to be. However what I and I am not trying to say what anyone else thinks, but I was trying to make the point that event though the idea of the Corvette came about as you say, it has evolved in to a truly American sport car, not a European knock off. It always said Made i n the U.S.A. As we are all aware it is also known as an American Icon.

What I was trying to make a point of was the reference that this design was much more European and should not offend those that like the European designs better than the American.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
speedlink
CF Senior Member
 
speedlink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
I think this car says we can kick your butt a lot aggressively than the original C6 did.

Let's not forget that the C6 was supposed to more Euro than the C5 because of its more angular looks and small dimensions.

In the end, it still looks like a Corvette IMO.
speedlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOx View Post
It is so fun to read some of these posts. It seems like everyone just thinks this euro influence is so new. It isn't and it goes back to why the Corvette came to be just as surely as the Corvette is the reason why the Cobra (made directly from an AC) came to be.

European sports cars were the entire influence. NOT American...and that is why it was so special at the time, to appeal (in part) to the U.S. Forces who were now home who had been around sports cars in Europe. It needed the V8 to really take off but the two-seat sports car form is NOT American.

Believe it or not, it isn't the 1950's anymore and just selling to Americans isn't enough. GM has to be a global company and it has to have a bit more european styling to appeal to those audiences.
The European sport cars never sold in America as well as the Corvette either.

It's funny, but the Japanese learned very quickly that the American had different taste then the Japanese home market and if they wanted to go head to head with the American car companies they were going to have to design versions of their cars for the American market. They did, and they whipped the American car companies on their own turf.

I'll take a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Aire hardtop any day over a 1955 BMW sedan or a 1955 Datsun or a 1955 Fiat sedan, or(punch my eyes out)---- a 1955 Citroen.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-12-2013 at 03:46 PM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
I thing the majority of Corvette owner/drivers realize how the Corvette came to be. However what I and I am not trying to say what anyone else thinks, but I was trying to make the point that event though the idea of the Corvette came about as you say, it has evolved in to a truly American sport car, not a European knock off. It always said Made i n the U.S.A. As we are all aware it is also known as an American Icon.

What I was trying to make a point of was the reference that this design was much more European and should not offend those that like the European designs better than the American.
Well, I was a little surprised by Bob's point. 'Offend' was certainly the wrong word for him to use and I'm betting he would probably take that one back if he could.
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
speedlink
CF Senior Member
 
speedlink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOx View Post
It is so fun to read some of these posts. It seems like everyone just thinks this euro influence is so new. It isn't and it goes back to why the Corvette came to be just as surely as the Corvette is the reason why the Cobra (made directly from an AC) came to be.

European sports cars were the entire influence. NOT American...and that is why it was so special at the time, to appeal (in part) to the U.S. Forces who were now home who had been around sports cars in Europe. It needed the V8 to really take off but the two-seat sports car form is NOT American.

Believe it or not, it isn't the 1950's anymore and just selling to Americans isn't enough. GM has to be a global company and it has to have a bit more european styling to appeal to those audiences.
We also need to understand, when it comes to styling, aerodynamics play a huge part of design. So it's no small coincidence that the best aerodynamically designed cars will have some resemblance to one another.
speedlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
BlueOx
CF Senior Member
 
BlueOx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
The European sport cars never sold in America as well as the Corvette either.

It's funny, but the Japanese learned very quickly that the American had different taste then the Japanese home market and if they wanted to go head to head with the American car companies they were going to have to design versions of their cars for the American market. They did, and they whipped the American car companies on their own turf.

I'll take a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Aire hardtop any day over a 1955 BMW sedan or a 1955 Datsun or a 1955 Fiat sedan.
Most of them didn't have V8's in them!
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlink View Post
We also need to understand, when it comes to styling, aerodynamics play a huge part of design. So it's no small coincidence that the best aerodynamically designed cars will have some resemblance to one another.
Well, for one, I'm thankful my .34 Cd Z06 doesn't look like the .26 Cd 2005 Prius.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
alanhang
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewelle View Post
Spin, Spin, Spin.....
The car is now more european, and therefore avant-garde .
Becuase we all know that europeans like it avant-garde not vanilla american old school.

Whateverrrr...

Bob says it's more international now... Bob knows cars.
well, it is more european now. It doesnt have the wide fenders anymore that dont fit into the much more crowded europe landscape. It looks miles sleeker.
alanhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
alanhang
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
Here is an issue and I think it is the issue that has me a little on the fence with the new design. Bob Lutz said "it is a much more international in design, and I think that is a good thing" next "it is still very much American in proportion and detail" finally he says, "but it is not so overtly American that it would offend people that prefer European design".

Why are we so worried that it looks European and that it does not offend anyone that like the European designs over American design. I have owned at least one of every generation except the C1 and the Corvette has always been known as an American Icon. Does this now mean that is not the case any longer, that for some reason we now have to be more of a European style.

Sorry, but that is one of the reason I am on the fence, it has nothing to do with the tail lights, or the Stingray on the side, or the black vents and the amount of black on the diffuser, it is the European flare that the Corvette now carries. A side view especially say Ferrari F12. I would have much preferred a new design that still said American and we can still kick your butt.
no way. I like that it looks more european, and slicker. It looks so much better. It looks 21st century now.
alanhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page The movers and shakers behind the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 spied - Autoweek michaelinmech C7 General Discussion 88 09-28-2013 04:09 AM
A Car Carrier of Stingrays, headed for????????? Callaway Chris C7 General Discussion 20 08-15-2013 04:29 PM
Autoweek ZO ZICK Off Topic 4 01-13-2013 10:21 PM
Autoweek Link With More images NemesisC5 C7 General Discussion 0 01-13-2013 07:49 PM
Autoweek video report on the C7 engine along with link to detailed report Carver Electrics C7 General Discussion 0 10-25-2012 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Emails & Password Backup