Sponsored by:

GM - come on with the info already!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
So they know from the engineering drawings how much an A-Arm weighs? And if they hollow cast it or make it from magnesium....

And then they have a person in charge of adding up all those individual parts and the weight of lubricants, grease, foam rubber in the seats, carpet, bolts and nuts so they can provide an exact weight.

Right. That makes sense. Until they scale a production vehicle and give that certified weight to the EPA for federal classification, everything is an estimate.
You are correct. They spend tens of millions of dollars in production molds/tooling etc with no weight in mind for the completed vehicle. Then after they get all the production equipment installed and up and running, they build a vehicle and weigh the vehicle and then start redesigning the parts(spending millions more) to get the weight down to a number that they had no idea of what they wanted, when they started designing the vehicle.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Probably Still Tweaking It!

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
I've yet to see another auto manufacture release a new car that they don't give ALL the specs for, makes no sense.

All the hipe of the reveal and in some aspects it was a let down. Yes the pics say it almost looks great, but the design does still has have some issues, but the important things, like product transmission, engine data, car weight are no where to be found, it's an incomplete story.

The only thing, I wonder if they really don't know until they actually get a production car off the new line? Just a thought, but that doesn't make sense either.

How do you market a product that the customer doesn't really get to know what they are buying until you buy it? I should have known - EBAY

GM - the public / the BUYERS would like to know - how about telling us all the specs on the production car.
Recall Wagoner at the first ZR1 show mentioning the heat issues. And they never got it completely handled!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
do you have any idea what the lead time is for production molds, all that fancy welding equipment for the frames, etc is?

You don't order production equipment/tooling etc without having the design pretty well pinned down.

"Oh wait a minute guys. I think we can shave a pound off this fender. I know it's only a month before we are scheduled to go into production, but don't you think we can have a new set of $500,000 fender molds made in time?. How about this new modification in the frame's design? Can't we get new stamping dies done in a month and then get the welding fixtures modified. Come on guys, you can do it. We have a whole month."
I know that some things change. Otherwise, why bother to test and retest? Better to change something now than when actual production starts. Of course the design is "pretty well pinned down" but that sure doesn't mean they cannot change something.

They aren't a month from going into production. If you think they can't change some things with months to go, you don't know manufacturing. Obviously they can if they feel it is important enough.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I know that some things change. Otherwise, why bother to test and retest? Better to change something now than when actual production starts. Of course the design is "pretty well pinned down" but that sure doesn't mean they cannot change something.

They aren't a month from going into production. If you think they can't change some things with months to go, you don't know manufacturing. Obviously they can if they feel it is important enough.
They will be installing new equipment in the plant starting next month. The equipment/tooling to build the frames in completed and installed. If they don't have any idea what the final design is going to be, how do design the equipment used to build the stupid car. Do you have any idea of the lead time required?

Have you ever heard of manufacturing and industrial engineering? They are different from the design engineers. They don't design/build/purchase the equipment/tooling to build a vehicle before the vehicle is designed and have the plant layout done before they know what they are going to be building.

You first design the product, then you design the equipment/tooling/work stations, etc to build it, not the other way around.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Yes they do but that doesn't mean they can't/won't change their minds about things at this point. They could be shaving weight, changing their minds about components or what those components are made of, moving things, etc.

It's still 6 months till they build one for the public on the line. They just aren't ready to tell you everything yet and they will when they feel like it. That's ok by me.
?When they finalize and are ready for production, then we will know. Relax and enjoy the anticipation.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will decide when you need to see it, just like every manufacturer out there does.
Yeah ... I din't know what all da Hezbullah'bout?
When it comes, you'll know.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
They are still testing the first trial (read half hand built) cars off the production line - hot weather testing and cold weather testing. Results could effect changes in engine management systems, possible gear ratio changes and newly designed parts could even fatigue or fail in extreme weather testing, necessitating a redesign, which could change weights.

Remember this is a car that's not for sale. Final production models do not exist. Surely you're not suggesting they weigh and measure a Mule?

Minus one blue one ..........
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

You mean they built all those new parts for the C7(except for the two carryover parts from the C6) without any engineering drawings.

I'm impressed.
Lego's ......
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The car hasn't been released yet. It has been revealed. In automotive parlance that means we've let you see it so we can finish our testing of the car out in the open. Keeping the car under wraps precludes them from doing all of the testing that they want to do (specific to drivability) under all the conditions and circumstances they want to evaluate.

To your point for example, the Lexus 2013 LFA was revealed during the Detroit Autoshow and some of it's specifications (weight distribution, ground clearance, etc. are all listed as TBD.) It's just the way it is. Lot's of manufacturers release some, not all in the form of preliminary specifications.

I really wish people would realize that some of these numbers are still being refined. They aren't released because they aren't final. God knows if they put something preliminary out there some on this forum would tear them a new one if it changes by one gram or millimetereter and they will be called liars.

It's not a conspiracy, it is development. When the numbers are done, they will be released and this will be prior to anyone being able to officially order one. Notice you can't buy one yet....because it isn't available for sale.

Last edited by talon90; 02-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I've yet to see another auto manufacture release a new car that they don't give ALL the specs for, makes no sense.

All the hipe of the reveal and in some aspects it was a let down. Yes the pics say it almost looks great, but the design does still has have some issues, but the important things, like product transmission [we know 7spd manual (with released ratios both Z51 and base) and 6speed auto], engine data [they've released tons of engine info, including estimated power and economy numbers], car weight are no where to be found, it's an incomplete story.

The only thing, I wonder if they really don't know until they actually get a production car off the new line? Just a thought, but that doesn't make sense either.

How do you market a product that the customer doesn't really get to know what they are buying until you buy it? I should have known - EBAY

GM - the public / the BUYERS would like to know - how about telling us all the specs on the production car.
Some responses in bold.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed , but GM could care less about you
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They will be installing new equipment in the plant starting next month. The equipment/tooling to build the frames in completed and installed. If they don't have any idea what the final design is going to be, how do design the equipment used to build the stupid car. Do you have any idea of the lead time required?

Have you ever heard of manufacturing and industrial engineering? They are different from the design engineers. They don't design/build/purchase the equipment/tooling to build a vehicle before the vehicle is designed and have the plant layout done before they know what they are going to be building.

You first design the product, then you design the equipment/tooling/work stations, etc to build it, not the other way around.

My goodness, you know everything about everything about the total process. All other thoughts and opinions CF members express seem to be pure dribble to you. Perhaps we all should just sit quietly at our computers and wait for your next posting to enlighten our poor uniformed souls . . . . the wrath of offering any of our original thoughts is just too much to bear
Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

My goodness, you know everything about everything about the total process. All other thoughts and opinions CF members express seem to be pure dribble to you. Perhaps we all should just sit quietly at our computers and wait for your next posting to enlighten our poor uniformed souls . . . . the wrath of offering any of our original thoughts is just too much to bear
Probably got a little better idea how the process works then you do.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

All the hipe of the reveal and in some aspects it was a let down. Yes the pics say it almost looks great, but the design does still has have some issues, but the important things, like product transmission, engine data, car weight are no where to be found, it's an incomplete story.

Have to agree..I know I would never order a car on looks alone/put a freaking deposit on one..jmho
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Never in the history of the planet has an individual strung together so many correct statements, and yet so completely missed the point being made by the individuals with whom he is arguing.

I salute you sir for this singular accomplishment.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh Joseph - it's not how much one knows - it's how kindly one treats others in sharing and transferring information that distinguishes oneself. Those of us who are otherwise or less informed are not second class citizens and do not deserve to be belittled for our thoughts and opinions. It wouldn't be much of a Forum if only your knowledge counted . . . .
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup...

Get notified of new replies

To GM - come on with the info already!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

For some reason the C7 reminds of a mixture of the Subaru BRZ/FRS and politics...

Way too much of hype and beating around the bush with no real answers or results.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

the way automotive components are designed, prototyped, tested and made ready for production has changed just a little in the last 30 years.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of the cars out right now are current production. Why give out data that isn't 100% concrete of what the consumer is going to get? I'm sure GM knows how much each mule Corvette weighs. I'm sure some things might change before production..

Weight going up? Give it more power, etc.

Quick Reply: GM - come on with the info already!