Sponsored by:

Have we seen ingress/egress?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Have we seen ingress/egress?

I cannot recall seeing any video that shows a person getting into or out of the Stingray. The Munich video cuts away just at that second. Jay's Garage shows him in the car, but not the process of getting in.

I am really interested in seeing whether there is more body-bend and effort needed to enter and exit, given the new lower roof line. I'm not talking about the headroom or legroom once you are in the driver's seat, I'm talking about the action of getting in and out.

Some of us "traditional demographic" guys have to worry more about our poor old aching backs and knees now. I'm not ready for a Lincoln Town Car, but this is just another area of interest for me.

If you can point me to a video showing entry or exit, I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that video from Munich that was around a few days ago had a shot of someone getting in or out. They only dropped the height about a half inch from what I have read.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

C7 coupe's height is .1" lower at 48.6" then my C6 Z06's 48.7". I doubt if many will notice that.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Buy a convertible and get a hoist. There is no problem that can't be overcome. As an old guy I work hard at stretching and other work outs.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Yes there was the one with Tadge and the reporter, where Tadge tells him he is the first non-GM employee to sit in the C7. It looked a little difficult to get in to it, but in all fairness it did have the Competition seats. They did not show then getting out of the car.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

This footage was taken during the Detroit media preview. Fast forward to the 1:00 and 3:18 marks to see the camera man enter the car.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw one a few weeks ago. When Jay Leno had a video with Ed Welburn going over the new C7.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's another clip from a different thread.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
C7 vert short video at Geneva - turn up volume. Car being backed up and put into pre-reveal position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNh66-WfCs
Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Based on the videos and what I have seen of both seats the correct way to enter the car will be the same as it has been since the 84 came out. Open door, turn around and face away from the car, sit down with left hand on the seat bolster to keep your butt off the bolster and then swivel legs into car. The one video showed the guy getting into the Vert the way you would get into a normal size and height car and having trouble while getting hung up on the seat bolster. The new more supportive seat designs make it more likely the bolster will wear rapidly if people don't get into the car correctly.

Bill
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think those with ample butts will be wearing out a lot of seats.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Based on the videos and what I have seen of both seats the correct way to enter the car will be the same as it has been since the 84 came out. Open door, turn around and face away from the car, sit down with left hand on the seat bolster to keep your butt off the bolster and then swivel legs into car. The one video showed the guy getting into the Vert the way you would get into a normal size and height car and having trouble while getting hung up on the seat bolster. The new more supportive seat designs make it more likely the bolster will wear rapidly if people don't get into the car correctly.

Bill
I drove a '91 for 6 years, and I have the right leg mid-shin scar to prove it.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Wow! I never knew there was a proper way of getting into my Corvette. Me: (follow the bouncing ball now...) "You put your right foot in, you put your sweet ars down (on the seat bottom, not the side bolster), you swivel a bit around, then you put your left foot in, and that’s what it’s all about!".

So you're telling me I am supposed to put most of my weight, using my left arm, on the bolster before sitting? That surely won't cause wear and tear on the seat prematurely. (Insert sarcasm here.) Plus, it'll look like I'm preparing to take a dump! (No sarcasm intended here.) Sounds/looks goofy. And that is the correct way since 1984? I guess I am OLD SCHOOL and PROUD of it!

Scar? What do you speak of, scar?

Last edited by mazurekd; 03-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
I drove a '91 for 6 years, and I have the right leg mid-shin scar to prove it.
I know the feeling all too well. My dad's 96 Convertible has bit me a couple of times.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
I cannot recall seeing any video that shows a person getting into or out of the Stingray.

Beginning with the C7 series of Corvettes, and as a further service to all it's Corvette customers, Chevrolet will be producing a series of how to videos for C7 owners. This series will include proper ingress/egress procedures.

Quite naturally there will be drop down screen options under the ingress/egress section with TIPS selected by Age Group:

20 to 30. Telescoping the steering wheel closer & removing seat belt slack
30 to 40. Proper seat positioning for performance driving on track, on street & taking the wife to the grocery
40 to 50. Untangling your gold chains from the paddle shift levers & the best posture for trying to look as young as you think you are
50 to 60. You're earned your way - plop in, buckle up and focus on drive thru services and planned bathroom stops
60 to 70. Be happy you got in - call ahead for assistance getting back out. Smile, you're the demographic we expect to see behind the wheel
70 & Above. Today's driving tip is mirrors, mirrors, mirrors - cuz you sure can't turn your head to look anymore.

:
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Beginning with the C7 series of Corvettes, and as a further service to all it's Corvette customers, Chevrolet will be producing a series of how to videos for C7 owners. This series will include proper ingress/egress procedures.

Quite naturally there will be drop down screen options under the ingress/egress section with TIPS selected by Age Group:

20 to 30. Telescoping the steering wheel closer & removing seat belt slack
30 to 40. Proper seat positioning for performance driving on track, on street & taking the wife to the grocery
40 to 50. Untangling your gold chains from the paddle shift levers & the best posture for trying to look as young as you think you are
50 to 60. You're earned your way - plop in, buckle up and focus on drive thru services and planned bathroom stops
60 to 70. Be happy you got in - call ahead for assistance getting back out. Smile, you're the demographic we expect to see behind the wheel
70 & Above. Today's driving tip is mirrors, mirrors, mirrors - cuz you sure can't turn your head to look anymore.

:
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing is going to be hard to see out of to the rear. The camera man was just
pushing buttons. Like some kid playing with the etch a sketch
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Have we seen ingress/egress?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by mazurekd
Wow! I never knew there was a proper way of getting into my Corvette. Me: (follow the bouncing ball now...) "You put your right foot in, you put your sweet ars down (on the seat bottom, not the side bolster), you swivel a bit around, then you put your left foot in, and that’s what it’s all about!".

<snip>
I do it exactly the same way you do and have done so for the 23 years and 600,000+ miles that I've been driving Corvettes.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sports car implies physically fit people driving it.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mazurekd
Wow! I never knew there was a proper way of getting into my Corvette. Me: (follow the bouncing ball now...) "You put your right foot in, you put your sweet ars down (on the seat bottom, not the side bolster), you swivel a bit around, then you put your left foot in, and that’s what it’s all about!".........

I guess I am OLD SCHOOL and PROUD of it!

Scar? What do you speak of, scar?
I agree. I don't see why some have such a problem getting in and out of a C4. I drove my 95 as a year round DD for 6+ years getting in and out 3 times a day and I've never had any issue. The fact is after you put your right foot in ....getting into the car is just one fluid movement and I'm 60 yrs old & overweight

Quick Reply: Have we seen ingress/egress?