Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 8 speed?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
shep29
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New 8 speed?

Noticed today on leftlanenews that GM is investing heavily in building two new transmissions, one being an 8 speed to be rolled out by 2016. Wonder if an offshoot of this willbe a high performance DCT (ie an answer to Porsches PDK)?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shep29
Noticed today on leftlanenews that GM is investing heavily in building two new transmissions, one being an 8 speed to be rolled out by 2016. Wonder if an offshoot of this willbe a high performance DCT (ie an answer to Porsches PDK)?
Probably not. GM is rumored to be working on an 8 speed auto (conventional torque converter unit). ATS, ATS-V and CTS-VSport (?!?) slated to receive for 2014 models if I'm up to date on the grapevine correctly. Will the C7 get it? Up to Tadge, Harlen and the rest of the boyz @ BG. Is the C7 getting an honest to God dual clutch transmission sans torque convertor? Not anytime soon seems to be the consensus.

You could of course ask 427 C5 how he feels about it........

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by dmporter31
Probably not. GM is rumored to be working on an 8 speed auto (conventional torque converter unit). ATS, ATS-V and CTS-VSport (?!?) slated to receive for 2014 models if I'm up to date on the grapevine correctly. Will the C7 get it? Up to Tadge, Harlen and the rest of the boyz @ BG. Is the C7 getting an honest to God dual clutch transmission sans torque convertor? Not anytime soon seems to be the consensus.

I doubt a Stingray will get a dct, but a C7 Z06/ZR1 replacement without afm could.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,425 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Yeah, I wonder if he might take the opportunity to state his opinion. Wonder if he ever has. . . . . . . .
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Yeah, I wonder if he might take the opportunity to state his opinion. Wonder if he ever has. . . . . . . .
Lol, here we go again...

"GM and the C7 is a failure"

"Stop making excuses"

"DCT and AWD is a must if the C7 has any chance of competing"
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

What happened to 2015? Fail!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Looks like the third generation CTS is coming out with an Aisin 8 speed at least for the first year until the GM product is available. I have been on the fence as to what will replace my 08 CTS but the 2014 with a TT 3.6 is looking pretty appealing. The downside is owning what will probably be an "orphan" transmission within the GM supply network. Time to research Aisin reliability.

I still plan on waiting until late 2015 to place a C7 order to see what new goodies are introduced.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Looks like the third generation CTS is coming out with an Aisin 8 speed at least for the first year until the GM product is available. I have been on the fence as to what will replace my 08 CTS but the 2014 with a TT 3.6 is looking pretty appealing. The downside is owning what will probably be an "orphan" transmission within the GM supply network. Time to research Aisin reliability.

I still plan on waiting until late 2015 to place a C7 order to see what new goodies are introduced.
See also "Lexus"
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 AM
david999
6th Gear

What is 8 speed would you like to tell me????????
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone here actually stated the reasons why a DCT would be beneficial to the C7 over a high performance torque converter based auto (aside from marketing reasons)?

I haven't read any real reasons, other than "to keep up with..." from anyone. They both can shift just as fast and they both can be just as efficient. They could both be just as heavy. The DCT is more expensive and requires a lot more computer control. DCTs are also physically larger.

I'm still not clear as to why we need a DCT. Someone care to elaborate?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Has anyone here actually stated the reasons why a DCT would be beneficial to the C7 over a high performance torque converter based auto
There would be a small fuel consumption difference but I think mostly people think DCT is the only good option as there has not been a high performance torque converter based auto previously with corvette. Aisin 8-speed would have been sweet.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a bit of related old news...not sure how it affects Corvette yet.
http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-ford-si...#axzz2PgBfOjuI
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Just a bit of related old news...not sure how it affects Corvette yet.
http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-ford-si...#axzz2PgBfOjuI
Relevant bit: " Ford will head up development on 10-speed automatic transmissions designed for use in rear-drive applications such as performance and luxury cars"
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
Relevant bit: " Ford will head up development on 10-speed automatic transmissions designed for use in rear-drive applications such as performance and luxury cars"
Well, considering how specific the form factor of a Corvette transmission is, one has to wonder how that would work.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
There would be a small fuel consumption difference but I think mostly people think DCT is the only good option as there has not been a high performance torque converter based auto previously with corvette. Aisin 8-speed would have been sweet.
Sure. Maybe not in a Corvette, but that's like saying "Turbos have never been in a Corvette, so we want Nitrous!"

AFM, VVT, Auto-Rev-match, eLSD, etc have never been in a Corvette. Yet this time they will be. I imagine that a high performance torque converter auto is on its way. I'm pretty sure they're not going to drop the ball on the auto since - in the non-Z06/ZR1 form - the auto sold far more than manuals.

Also, with the torque converter and lock-up technology now, the only fuel savings there might be is on the streets. There'd literally be no difference on the freeway. Some will argue that the torque converter adds rotating mass to the drive train. I have bad news for them if they do... DCTs have two clutches that spin at the same time. And the entire setup is heavier. LOL

I'm not saying that I don't want a DCT. In fact, it wouldn't matter to me since I drive manuals. But I do think it's silly to kick and scream about adding a DCT just because it's new technology and just because some other premium car has it. Torque converter autos also have a better off-the-line performance and better low-speed feel. I guess nobody seems to recognize that.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

DCT = DOHC = coilovers

Get notified of new replies

To New 8 speed?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I was hopeful for a Mercedes style MCT for the corvette as it would have been relatively easy for GM to continue to use it's plantary gearbox production facilities offering a cool lower cost production alternative to a DCT transmission."

I'm sure the upcoming high performance 8 speed automatic will be a cool ride with interesting performance...

Till I get to test drive one though I'd be in for the rev matching M7

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Has anyone here actually stated the reasons why a DCT would be beneficial to the C7 over a high performance torque converter based auto (aside from marketing reasons)?

I haven't read any real reasons, other than "to keep up with..." from anyone. They both can shift just as fast and they both can be just as efficient. They could both be just as heavy. The DCT is more expensive and requires a lot more computer control. DCTs are also physically larger.

I'm still not clear as to why we need a DCT. Someone care to elaborate?
Just much better feel and control. I've owned both the Ferrari 458 coupe and spider and the DCT is truly a marvel. Instantaneous shifting up and down, no power loss, and complete flexibility to shift at any time up or down, including into 1st at high RPMs.

If the car came with DCT, I would order it over a manual. As it is, I am ordering the manual but would buy a new one with DCT.

I think the big disadvantage... and why the base will not come with one... is cost, size, and complexity.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if you knew this or not but the rumors of an 8 speed automatic (not a DCT/PDK/F1/SMG style though) making it's debut in the 2014 Corvette were running wild for MONTHS until the info about them actually using a 6 speed auto arrived.
I think there's still a possibility that we will see an 8 speed in future C7 models though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 8 speed?