C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cool would it be if the Z51 option came with a higher HP engine!What are the Odds

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default How cool would it be if the Z51 option came with a higher HP engine!What are the Odds

After seeing all the speculation, I figured why not add some more with a little wishing! What if the Z51 option could come with a higher HP engine! Say 500hp for the Z51 and 465hp for the base. This could be accomplished by upgraded exhaust (manifold/mufflers), air intake and manifold, cam specs and tuning. 35hp is not too crazy to find with minor tweaks to the above.

If the Z51 has so many more handling benefits why not give it a little more punch!

I know the Z51 option will be punched on my order form as soon as I get a call from the dealer. How cool would it be to find I also get an extra few ponys!

With everyone saying the C7 Z06 will carry 600hp and the C7 ZR1 700hp+, why not have an entry level performance model more people can afford.

Ps. This would also start the aftermarket buying frenzy from GM Performance for those non Z51 owners who could potentially bolt on some power adders such as different muffler, air intake, etc that are upgraded on the Z51.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? What are the Odds?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boweryboy
After seeing all the speculation, I figured why not add some more with a little wishing! What if the Z51 option could come with a higher HP engine! Say 500hp for the Z51 and 465hp for the base. This could be accomplished by upgraded exhaust (manifold/mufflers), air intake and manifold, cam specs and tuning. 35hp is not too crazy to find with minor tweaks to the above.

If the Z51 has so many more handling benefits why not give it a little more punch!

I know the Z51 option will be punched on my order form as soon as I get a call from the dealer. How cool would it be to find I also get an extra few ponys!

With everyone saying the C7 Z06 will carry 600hp and the C7 ZR1 700hp+, why not have an entry level performance model more people can afford.

Ps. This would also start the aftermarket buying frenzy from GM Performance for those non Z51 owners who could potentially bolt on some power adders such as different muffler, air intake, etc that are upgraded on the Z51.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? What are the Odds?
It would be a great idea for the Z51 option, because I plan to order that as well. As for the rest of your wish list, NOT gonna happen. First, there will be no ZR1 (you can bank on it)!!! The GS is replaced by the C7 coupe Z51 option. The only HP model that will make it to production is the Z06. The reason is simple - The ZR1 was a very limited production model that was priced at $110k and above. No real market for GM to make money on so very few cars. The Z06 however, was a different story. A lot were sold and for the track, it was a better preforming car. It was lighter by a few hundred pounds. of course it didn't have FI but for a NA engine, it could get you from point a to b in a hurry. IMO, look for a Z06 at 600hp/550tq when in comes out probably in 15'.....
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Third year it will happen if not at launch.

Dry sump LT1 should make more ponies than base non dry sump system.

The peak numbers we don't know yet but the power under the peak numbers will be like the 427 vert version of the c6.

I'm sure Carmen and Dennis will help you in your power goals if you want more.

How has the cts v treated you? Will you keep it in addition to the c7 ?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

This will never happen. If GM started down this road it would cause problems for marketing of the Z06 and ZR1 cars. They want to keep these as higher profit vehicles.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The last year c4 had automatic lt1 s with 300 hp and manual transmission LT4 s with I believe 330hp..

Anythings possible
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
TroyPyles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The odds are zero for 2014. There will be only one engine.

Search for my post from yesterday were I give the details of my meetings this week in Bowling Green.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ldepalma
It would be a great idea for the Z51 option, because I plan to order that as well. As for the rest of your wish list, NOT gonna happen. First, there will be no ZR1 (you can bank on it)!!! The GS is replaced by the C7 coupe Z51 option. The only HP model that will make it to production is the Z06. The reason is simple - The ZR1 was a very limited production model that was priced at $110k and above. No real market for GM to make money on so very few cars. The Z06 however, was a different story. A lot were sold and for the track, it was a better preforming car. It was lighter by a few hundred pounds. of course it didn't have FI but for a NA engine, it could get you from point a to b in a hurry. IMO, look for a Z06 at 600hp/550tq when in comes out probably in 15'.....
Are you 100% positive that the next high performance car will be a Z06? As for there sales in the first 4 years of the C6 Z06 production were somewhere around 20% of all Corvette's sold. In 2010 with the introduction of the Grand Sport the sales dropped to around 5% and have remained at the figure ever since.
I am not saying that the next high performance model to be released will not carry the Z06 badge, what I am also saying it may not. It could be called the LT4, or the LT5 or even the L88, althoung I think if that gets used it will most likely be an RPO as it was in the past. Let's face it the Z06 was always attached the the LSx engines (not counting the Mid Year version). I don't see an LS7 in a C7, that horse has left the barn for the Camaro.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I doubt the HP number will be different. It's not a different model, it's an option package. But performance will be increased, considering the coding is tweaked, there are enhanced gear ratios and the eLSD & dry sump. It includes performance suspension, but if you add MSRC, things should be even better.

The HP should go up if you add the variable tuned performance exhaust, as it did with MPP, but that's not specific to the Z51 package.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

I've owned 6 Z51's over the years. It never cost much and never really added resale value. If you crave performance it is indeed frustrating to think about ordering an expensive 2014 Z51 with a base LT1 when a year later the supercharged LT4 car arrives with all the Z51 upgrades as standard equipment. Might be a better investment.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The odds are zip.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BWF07
Are you 100% positive that the next high performance car will be a Z06? As for there sales in the first 4 years of the C6 Z06 production were somewhere around 20% of all Corvette's sold. In 2010 with the introduction of the Grand Sport the sales dropped to around 5% and have remained at the figure ever since.
I am not saying that the next high performance model to be released will not carry the Z06 badge, what I am also saying it may not. It could be called the LT4, or the LT5 or even the L88, althoung I think if that gets used it will most likely be an RPO as it was in the past. Let's face it the Z06 was always attached the the LSx engines (not counting the Mid Year version). I don't see an LS7 in a C7, that horse has left the barn for the Camaro.
C6 to C7 is apples to oranges. The GS is now the C7 w/Z51 option so throw away that one. The question really comes down to ZR1 AND Z06 OR just Z06? Logically, there is no need to build both. GM's problem comes down to which one has more sales AND is economically more feasible? If they would decide to build a ZR1 even at a 10% markup by the time it would be built that puts the price at more then $132k? Way out of the league for many people. The Z06 on the other hand, at $80k give or take a few dollars is more in line of where most people who would be buying it comfort level is. You would have a premium of $50k difference between the two. It just doesn't make sense now as the economy is no where near where it once was back when GM was tinkering with being the king of the hill over the Viper IMO anyway....
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

You are aware depalma that at one point there were more than 200 days worth of Z06s on the ground while at the same time the ZR1 supply was below 50 days? Also the ZR1s development was almost entirely pre-paid by the models preceding it and it was in fact very profitable per unit.

As to the OP, I seriously doubt a higher HP engine option will happen and if it did I would guess not until they figured they needed it to move cars. My crystal ball says that it would be a stand alone up charge that required Z51 with it.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
They need a Z06. Its the natural evolution of this car. If they bring out a ZR1 it will be because they sensed that the Z06 market is satiated and they want to spur sales to the next king of the C7 lineup.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crabman
You are aware depalma that at one point there were more than 200 days worth of Z06s on the ground while at the same time the ZR1 supply was below 50 days? Also the ZR1s development was almost entirely pre-paid by the models preceding it and it was in fact very profitable per unit.

As to the OP, I seriously doubt a higher HP engine option will happen and if it did I would guess not until they figured they needed it to move cars. My crystal ball says that it would be a stand alone up charge that required Z51 with it.
Again, apples to oranges. There is a lot that is different now. They began planning for the ZR1 long before the economy tanked AND GM was in financial crises mode. IMO, 2 HP cars are not needed in the immediate future of C7. When you get into C8, different story. The ZR1 isn't in every generational model. GM stated there won't be a long run of C7. Since C6 was 9 years, look for a shorten at the most 6 or 7 years. My money would be on 6 years. The reason we had so many mods with C6 was the length of the production run. Crystal ball says, Base now and Z06 probably in 2015. After that they start working on C8 in 2016...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The odds of the Z51 having more horsepower than the non Z51 equipped Stingray falls some where between zero and nada.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't really understand why anyone that doesn't track their car would want a Z51 unless it in fact adds hp. If you are a drag racer for sure you don't want it. It has to add weight with the larger tires, brakes and additional cooling options that are only needed for track. I'm a drag racer only so I would want a lighter base with HPP exhaust and an option for lower gearing and of course all the power available for an automatic tranny car.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by crabman

excellent points. I do think, however, that the recession and planned products being produced had some small impact (or larger) on cars sitting, and cars selling well. but in the main, I'd say this might explain what and why Corvettes will be a little "slower" in producing alternative, higher hp engines.

and regardless of what we would like to have, there is a lot of new tech packed into this one engine developed probably over a period of 5+ years. but there is nothing like testing a car on the streets and tracks, in the hands of owners, month after month, to see how it will hold up. an added six months, or more to see how it all holds together might be prudent and wise. that would be BEFORE an option tune, or hp upgrade for a Z51 option.

Get notified of new replies

To How cool would it be if the Z51 option came with a higher HP engine!What are the Odds

Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I don't really understand why anyone that doesn't track their car would want a Z51 unless it in fact adds hp. If you are a drag racer for sure you don't want it. It has to add weight with the larger tires, brakes and additional cooling options that are only needed for track. I'm a drag racer only so I would want a lighter base with HPP exhaust and an option for lower gearing and of course all the power available for an automatic tranny car.
It would be nice if it weren't coupled with other options. I don't need the dry sump oil system or most of the other stuff, but I want the MSRC and the wheels that are only available with the Z51 package. The other stuff doesn't hurt, but if I could get what I want without the whole package, I probably would.

We'll see tomorrow if there has been a change in the option combinations.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I can think of a few reasons. One is that the Z51 options can help with handling and cooling...IF you really need it. Secondly, some folks simply want to have that track option just in case. Another plus is that you have to have the Z51 option if you want MSRC, which is a great option for general performance driving.

The Z51 options could also possibly help to sell the car in the future when/if you want to move on.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I can think of a few reasons. One is that the Z51 options can help with handling and cooling...IF you really need it. Secondly, some folks simply want to have that track option just in case. .
Don't really need it. I'll never track the car so don't need the extra cooling features either.
Originally Posted by BlueOx
Another plus is that you have to have the Z51 option if you want MSRC, which is a great option for general performance driving.

The Z51 options could also possibly help to sell the car in the future when/if you want to move on.
Don't need the Magnetic Ride Control for 1/4 mile. But yes, probably would be a good selling feature when it comes time to sell the car.

I want the lightest car available with the most power and the right gearing.

Quick Reply: How cool would it be if the Z51 option came with a higher HP engine!What are the Odds