C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why complain when you could just buy something esle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Lets be realistic for a minute. Nobody is bringing up affordability because we are measuring each others bank accounts. We are bringing it up because the list of cars with all those features were running in the $200,000 range.

If that many people on Corvette Forum could afford $200k cars.. why are driving $50-60k Corvettes. The OP point was that technology is not free. If you want all of these features on a $50k Corvette you are living a pipe dream. You can easily have all of these features on several vehicles today (500+hp, DCT, AWD, Exotic design). The problem is the price is $200k or more.

So the answer is pretty easy. Either become alot more realistic about what you can expect on a $50-60k car. Or stop complaining about what it doesn't have and go spend $200k on the cars that do have it.
ON POINT!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Yes, I stand by it. There are two kinds of people who are mostly in this forum. The complainers and the people who will buy the car. Personally, I don't care what people say about the C7. I'm buying it. But if your on this forum then that means you like Vettes. If you like them, you already own or have owned one or maybe wanting to buy one for the first time. But if you do nothing but complain about the backend of the car, not enough hp, not this or that, go to another forum for the cars you like. GM is not going to change the way the car is because a few people are complaining. My motto is put up or shut up....
OK, now I see where you are coming from. You only want to hear from people who agree with you - and have a bank account at least as big as you. I do agree with you that there some here who, for whatever reason, spew endless drivel without adding anything. I just don't equate it to their earning potential. I wish you the best with your new C7, I'm sure I'll have one sometime in the future - once I get past that awful rear end
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Naw, I think I get it.

Really, think about it for a second. This car was originally slated to be introduced in what, 2010? The C7 Discussion forum has been here since, I believe 2006, or something close to that?

The build up and anticipation of this car has building for over a half decade. This is the Corvette afterall, not your typical, run of the mill Cadillac or Buick or Malibu. 60 years and this is only the seventh generation of design. So it's big for alot of people. Many of us grew up either around Corvettes or wishing we were. There is alot of passion involved with this American Icon. If I worked as a designer, and GM said, okay, you design the next Corvette, I would probably faint under that pressure.

Our first clue, real or fancied, was the "Stingray" from the Transormers movie. Y'all remember those days around here? That was around the time we thought we were going to see a new Corvette. I'd bet, that much of this design was already on the table at that time, until it got delayed. If you really look at this car, and the concept, you can clearly see that the concept was the base form this car was designed from. Down to those beautiful tail lights. If this car had been revealed then, at the peak of the concept hype, it would've been much more well received, IMO.

So, for about a half decade or more, the expectations, hopes, dreams and fears of the next Corvette have been building up. Then it finally comes out, and for some, well, there's just no way it could meet some of these expectations. For others, it exceeded them. But, yes, this car envokes passion. I can understand that many are dissapointed. So they vent their frustration in the one place they know. Look, we gotta take the good with bad. I like it, but really, I can understand where some wouldn't. I don't mind them saying so, it's nothing personal to me when they do. Even if they try to make it personal.

But if this car performs the way GM preaches, this will turn around, I believe. As more and more are out in the streets, frustrations will fade, acceptance will set in, and perhaps turn into appreciation. So vent, this is the Corvette Forum, the one thing we share is the passion for this great American Car. And they're all beautiful in their own unique way, IMHO.
Great post.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ed1
I have read many threads complaining about what the 2014 corvette does not have and what GM should have included to make it perfect. Can any of these complainers explain why don't you just buy a car that has everything you want vs complaining about a car that doesn't.

Most common complaints I've seen are:
-Needs at least 500HP
-Needs All-wheel drive
-Needs Dual Clutch Transmission
-Don't like the design
-And the one that made me make this thread---Needs more safety features, wtf!

Here is a list of cars that complainers could buy that would meet 3-4 of the most common complaints:

-Audi R8 V10 525HP/391lbTQ 11 city MPG MSRP $161k
-Porsche GT3 475HP est. 14 city MPG MSRP 130k
-Nissan GTR 545HP 16 city MPG
-MB SLS65 583HP 0-60 in 3.6 secs 13 city MPG MSPR 199K
All MSRP listed are starting and can jump up quick when adding options.
There are a few other others but the price jumps beyond 300K

-2014 Corvette base V8 est. 450HP/450TQ 0-60 under 4secs, over 20 city MPG MSRP 50(something)K!

Is there a reason why the complainers don't just buy one of these cars instead of complaining about the C7? My guess is that it has something to do with the 100K plus starting price tag vs mid 50's for a vette!

I think it is unreasonable for people to demand GM to put technology from a 100k-500k car in a car the they sell for 50-60K.

Regardless of what GM puts in the corvette it needs to continue its tradition which is dollar-4-dollar the best sports car money can buy. America Sport Car! The sports car that middle and upper class alike can afford. The car that the manager at Best Buy can afford as will as the CEO of Best Buy. The corvette fills a gap that foreign sports cars overlook!
Well said!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Lets be realistic for a minute. Nobody is bringing up affordability because we are measuring each others bank accounts. We are bringing it up because the list of cars with all those features were running in the $200,000 range.

If that many people on Corvette Forum could afford $200k cars.. why are driving $50-60k Corvettes. The OP point was that technology is not free. If you want all of these features on a $50k Corvette you are living a pipe dream. You can easily have all of these features on several vehicles today (500+hp, DCT, AWD, Exotic design). The problem is the price is $200k or more.

So the answer is pretty easy. Either become alot more realistic about what you can expect on a $50-60k car. Or stop complaining about what it doesn't have and go spend $200k on the cars that do have it.
I won't say all, however, I think alot of folks that buy $200K cars, do so to show that they can. This is not a criticism of such, more power to ya. But realistically, many of those cars spend their time in the garage and only come out on "special" occasions so to speak. Mainly because, the cost of ownership and maintence on many of these cars is very high.

Many of these folks probably have a Corvette in their stable as well, because it can be driven anywhere, anytime. If something goes wrong, the repair is reasonable and quick, in comparison. And the performance of the car is very close, considering the price tag of ownership. Corvette is a great value in a sports car.

But at the end of the day, "Self worth and net worth are two completely different things".
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The Corvette is actually a nice sales/profit car for GM. Figuring $60,000 average (which is probably a little low) per car and 13,000 annual sales, you are looking at $780 million on the Corvette. That is NOT an insubstantial sum. Now, go back to the glory years of the C6 (2005 - 2008) and you are looking at a car with nearly $2 BILLION in sales per year!!! (based on $55,000 per car and 35,000 units per year). Obviously, my numbers are based on MSRP but you get the point.

Jimmy
GM had 2012 sales of 152B. $780 million is just a tad more than a rounding error, not enough to make a difference.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
henrik2960
Intermediate

ed1.

You have clearly not understood the passion for vette!

Why do parents complaint about their children... well the answer is: We care and want the best for them!

For my part I have "loved" corvette since I was a teenager - I was 24 when I bought a '75 T-top back in 1984.

For me PART of the attraction are the curves (why I never liked C4) for me the vette is an Icon - also the round tail lamps and the very destingt expression - in my world a vette should be know to people outside the crazy "brotherhood" of passionated owners. ( like the 911 looks almost the same since way back)

Some will buy a corvette once - comparing the corvette to other sportscars... others are very passionated about it - joins fora like this... and express their views.

You will find two set of views... from the "non vette people" and from the hard core long time fans (like me)

I reserve to right to express my concerns as I have been a vette fan for over 30 years... much longer than some of those chevy employees messing up the Icon.

Being called a "hater" by some ignorant people is a laugh - but that is part of a internet forum... all sorts of people can express what they want - in almost any form.

You see... Sometimes a Brand is best protected by the loyals over some newcommers... a lesson successful Brands have learned.

ohh... and by the way - I hold an MBA in Marketing and have worked with Global marketing for many years... just for the record :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by henrik2960
ed1.

ohh... and by the way - I hold an MBA in Marketing and have worked with Global marketing for many years... just for the record :-)
I hope that was meant to be funny - I laughed!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
henrik2960
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KM1959
I hope that was meant to be funny - I laughed!
Then somethig good came out of it for you - I'm happy for you despite you clearly did not understand

Last edited by henrik2960; 04-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Then somethig good came out of it for you - I'm happy for you despite you clearly did not understand
Perhaps it was your awful grammar, poor spelling, or lack of organized thought. My bad.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

GM could have easily debuted the car with 500hp at no additional cost - based simply upon the gains from DI on other motors they currently made the change on. So if this is in fact the OP's argument here then it has a gaping hole in it

You will find two set of views... from the "non vette people" and from the hard core long time fans (like me)

I reserve to right to express my concerns as I have been a vette fan for over 30 years... much longer than some of those chevy employees messing up the Icon.

Being called a "hater" by some ignorant people is a laugh - but that is part of a internet forum... all sorts of people can express what they want - in almost any form.

You see... Sometimes a Brand is best protected by the loyals over some newcommers... a lesson successful Brands have learned.
Right on target
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM
henrik2960
Intermediate

Perhaps it was your awful grammar, poor spelling, or lack of organized thought. My bad.
English is my 3th language and this is not business - hence I type and do not care to edit - trust you understood the content... Magister
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

English is my 3th language and this is not business - hence I type and do not care to edit - trust you understood the content... Magister
Well then it is a whole lot better than even my second language. I do see what you mean, just having fun, sorry if I offended you.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
henrik2960
Intermediate

Well then it is a whole lot better than even my second language. I do see what you mean, just having fun, sorry if I offended you.
No problem... the MBA was there just to clerify my statement on Branding

You see... loving corvette is not only a US "thing"

Have a nice day
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

No problem... the MBA was there just to clerify my statement on Branding

Have a nice day
Nice to hear that! Shows like Top Gear has many of us believing otherwise.

And have a nice day to you as well!!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

BTW, is that what pants look like where you live?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
ed1
Instructor

Because they cant afford it.

Money talk, BS walks. And theres ALOT of walking going on in the C7 forum.

Excellent point btw the way. If you want all these technology, then go buy it. Nothing is stopping you but the cash. People like me, on the hand, are realistic about what we can afford and see a $55k C7 for exactly what it is. The best bang for the buck performance car of any new model. I cant name another car within a $50,000 margin to the 2014 Stingray that offers the same or better amount of technology, performance & looks. GTR is about as close as it gets, but it costs $100k and is MUCH uglier.

Expect alot of haters to turn into C7 owners when the Stingray finally hits the streets. It will be much harder to deny the truth when it pulls up beside whatever you are currently riding in.

Get notified of new replies

To Why complain when you could just buy something esle?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I am so happy new members keep joining and telling the rest of us how this site should run, and what our conduct should be, after being a part of the forum for 72 hours.

Thank you so much. We where so lost without you guys for the past 10+ years. If only we could stop all on point discussion (positive and negative) about the design and focus in on how much money people make, how old they are, and how there should be no negative opinions of a car no one has even sat in much less driven. The Corvetteforum would be so much better.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Another stupid daily whining thread. Mods, please lock this crap.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
ed1
Instructor

Originally Posted by vant
Hmm, complaining about complainers. Ironic.
Hmm, thats not the case. I asked a question in my OP that only 1 member as answered thus far.

Originally Posted by 427 C5
I complain because:
I am hoping GM will read these posts and realize that they need to offer the OPTIONS of AWD and DCT ASAP.
I love the LSx and Corvette.
I don't want to buy an import.

Thanks for your honest answer to the OP the only one so far!

I'm a loyal Corvette buyer for almost 20 years who keeps being told to spend $100k+ on a foreign car.
And people wonder why their neighbors are under/unemployed and their 401k is in the toilet.
Originally Posted by tdb
So what you must be saying is you can't really afford the Lamborghini and really want to eat at Denny's.
I think his point was his dollar is better spent on a Corvette that he can drive worry free vs a Lambo that he is scary to take out of the garage.

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Stupid thread by OP who seems butt hurt due to all the critisicm the C7 is getting. This is a forum where car discussion is allowed. Stop being a baby
That's your opinion but you still haven't answered the question. Why complain when you can buy something that has everything you want? I ask the question because the only answer I can think of is its has something to do with the MSRP of these other cars.

Originally Posted by ldepalma
I like Lambo's and was going to buy a used one, BUT, maintenance costs are sky high and the cars are really not DD's. They are strictly weekenders... The C7 fills the needs of most people. Could it have 500-600 hp? Yes, but not in the base car 1st year, later years most likely... It's ok to dream of what you think should be in the C7, but you have to keep your feet on the ground if you want to buy one and not bitch about what the car doesn't have. If you don't like it, your free to buy something else......
GM has only announced the base model and people saying it should have had, 500+HP, AWD, DCT, etc. This leads me to believe that these people think that all that should be in the base model which I know is unrealistic. People have been saying for years that the iphone needs at least a 4.3" screen if it wants to compete but Apple has maintained their 3.5/4" screen which competes just fine with any smart phone on the planet.

My point is you don't need to do what everybody else is doing to complete. All you need is the end result! That is what GM has done. They did it with the Z06 AND AGAIN WITH THE ZR1 and I think the C7 will do it again!

Quick Reply: Why complain when you could just buy something esle?