C7 design info, criteria, pre-production photos, demographics, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust and tail lights

Originally Posted by MikeG37
RC, thanks for keeping us informed of the goings on in BG!

I'm looking at these pictures on my phone, so I may just be seeing things.. are the exhaust pipes stacked in this slide you caught?

The tail lights (openings) look exactly like the ones used on the Corvette Grand Am car. I had heard that GM supplied those tail lights and asked that they be used on the Can Am car because they were to be used on the up coming Vett. I wonder if the Can Am car tail lights predated the change to rectangular tail lights. By the by, in All Corvettes Are Red, there's a photo of a C5 proposal that has rectangular tail lights executed before the led era. There's also a C5 proposal by the current C7 designer that was rejected for the C5. Also, the winning C5 proposal, the famous black Vett, is pictured next to an F-16 much like the C7 is pictured next to the F-22. Gee, I wonder if the C7 is invisible to speed trap radar guns? Actually the faceted design of stealth aitcraft is horrible from an aerodynamic point of view. It wasn't until the B2 with the rounded surfaces that stealth and aerodynamics made an uneasy peace.

Talk about rectangular exhausts - Callaway uses a sort of rectangular/ rounded exhaust. I expect after market offerings of rectangular exhaust openings.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C7 book?

RC has there been any talk of a new book about the development of the C7 Corvette. There was a book produced for the C6 which had some great photographs by Richard Prince as I recall.
Even the development of the new Viper was featured in a 150 plus page hardcover book that was recently published.
Looks like there are lots of good C7 development pictures available for a book and Kirk is always good for a story or two as well!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
RC,
I've learned more about the C7 from your posts over the last couple days than I have learned collectively from both this forum and GM.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to document the wealth of information and thank you especially for sharing it here with us! Your posts have been great and your efforts are by far some of the best contributions regarding C7 information that any member has shared on the C7 forum!

Thank you again!
I appreciate it. I'm a car guy and a builder through and through man. My life is cars, and has been cars since I was 8 or 9. If I am watching tv, its car related, on the net...car related, in my shop working...car related. Its my life, so transferring this information is easy for me to do. Sometimes people need someone to digest and re-distribute the info...plus they need someone to fill in blanks. Thats what I do...lol.

Originally Posted by Minkster
RC,

Did GM give a reason they went with a dual mass flywheel?
Like prior vettes it was in...to reduce gear noise, but to also absorb the transition when afm is activated and deactivated.

Originally Posted by keagan
Thanks RC, I am much interested as to where they were when those pics were taken. The woods??
Well, I was talking to two engineers and didnt have a seat, so I had to step in from the side, block everyones view, click the pic with my *** ipad camera, then jump back. Better than nothin man.

Originally Posted by tome
RC000E;

THANKS!!!! for all the info and remembering what us "unable to attend" asked you to find out. Excellent retention or note taking to report back with such detail.
Knowing cars like I do, as a builder, it makes retention easy. The design seminar was the only one I took notes....just figuring it was easier to copy/paste my notes to the forum than type it all out at once like I did prior...time savings...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Didnt ask about a book...sh*t!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Like prior vettes it was in...to reduce gear noise, but to also absorb the transition when afm is activated and deactivated.
I didn't know there were dual mass flywheels in previous Vettes, I'll have to do some research. Interesting that there would be that much driveline shock on afm activation/deact. I need to do more research there too.

Thanks, you really provided a great service for those of us who couldn't be there to collect and collate all this info. !
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Its just like when you start and shut off your engine...it shakes everything. Same deal when you shut off half...your going from two combustion events at once to one...think of it as two v4 engines running at once...shut one off...you'll get some shuck and jive if you know what I mean...lol....start one back up...same thing

C4's had dual mass because the zf trannies were noisy and it dampened that out. Dual mass is nothin new...cars using for decades.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Its just like when you start and shut off your engine...it shakes everything. Same deal when you shut off half...your going from two combustion events at once to one...think of it as two v4 engines running at once...shut one off...you'll get some shuck and jive if you know what I mean...lol....start one back up...same thing

C4's had dual mass because the zf trannies were noisy and it dampened that out. Dual mass is nothin new...cars using for decades.
I could see that happening. I went from C3 to C5 then C6, so never came across that type flywheel until I purchased a 2005 SSR 6/sp a couple years ago (which has one). Also just learned a lot of luxury European cars (BMW, AUDI, MB) also use them. Learn something every day.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Well, I was talking to two engineers and didnt have a seat, so I had to step in from the side, block everyones view, click the pic with my *** ipad camera, then jump back. Better than nothin man.

:
Not knocking the quality of picture here RC, I am just curious as to where the car actually was during those stages like where was the picture of the concept taken.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
dznr723
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Not knocking the quality of picture here RC, I am just curious as to where the car actually was during those stages like where was the picture of the concept taken.
those photos were taken on the GM Design "patio"
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Gotcha keagan...my bad. Yeah, outside their design studio. Its closed off so they can see models in natural light. Funny thing is, in pic#4, you see that old gm bus? Tadge said they sit in side and drive around a clay model looking at it...lol.

Quick Reply: C7 design info, criteria, pre-production photos, demographics, etc