Sponsored by:

Is anybody worried about the LT1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
You nailed it....for those who need an excuse to NOT buy the new c7 right away....this one is socially acceptable.....

I say buy when the time is right for you and forget all the excuses.....

Nobody cares anyway.

Warranties are great ...if you really want the lt1...then just figure out how long you'll keep it..the mileage you'll use it and for pennies you can add a gmpp warranty..

I'll buy when the time is right for me...
Yes but ...

1. Some of you may be paying a premium price to be a beta tester
2. Dealer server techs will not have any real world experience on the new engine
3. Changes could be made to the second year production to fix performance and reliablity issues

Those reasons alone are enough for me to sit this one out. After the C7 has been around for a year they may have regained my confidence. I don't have any assurance that they did their homework on this engine especially since it is totally new. But thats just me. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Yes but ...

1. Some of you may be paying a premium price to be a beta tester
2. Dealer server techs will not have any real world experience on the new engine
3. Changes could be made to the second year production to fix performance and reliablity issues

Those reasons alone are enough for me to sit this one out. After the C7 has been around for a year they may have regained my confidence. I don't have any assurance that they did their homework on this engine especially since it is totally new. But thats just me. YMMV.
Hard to say...lots of new tech and lots of expectations. It wouldn't just be the Corvette that would suffer. It would also be a concern for all the new trucks.

I just can't believe that an engine platform with this much riding on it could go that wrong. I do agree that the service training is a critical issue but every generation of new tech requires that also.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Hard to say...lots of new tech and lots of expectations. It wouldn't just be the Corvette that would suffer. It would also be a concern for all the new trucks.

I just can't believe that an engine platform with this much riding on it could go that wrong. I do agree that the service training is a critical issue but every generation of new tech requires that also.
I agree with what you are saying but I just can't get comfortable after that LS7 debacle continues to play out in the Z06 section. GM had 8 years to fix those problems and they have been very quiet possibly to keep from having a recall and great expense. As much as I like the C7 I am very aware of this company.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I agree with your concern about the LS7. The problem is no matter when you buy, no matter what you buy, there is a chance that there will be a problem.
My 1998 C5 had cast pistons and was a great quiet car. My 2002 had those forged pistons and clattered like a diesel. Go figure. It may be the first C7's are better then the one they make two years later.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

yes.. of coarse..., it is a GM motor, you NEVER buy the first generation of ANYTHING that GM makes.

GM has a long and reliable history of F'n up the first generation of everything, to include the LS1... which in it's first implementations was a pile of crap.

I have no doubt that the LT1 will be good once they fix all it's issues, but the first round or two are going to be problematic.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I'm currently very happy with my C6 GS, however, I may want to sell/trade it in, for a new C7.

If I do, it will definitely not happen during the first introductory year. I wouldn't buy any entirely new car in it's first year of production. But, that's just me. I can wait for the 2015.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I agree with what you are saying but I just can't get comfortable after that LS7 debacle continues to play out in the Z06 section. GM had 8 years to fix those problems and they have been very quiet possibly to keep from having a recall and great expense. As much as I like the C7 I am very aware of this company.
I certainly understand your thoughts but this isn't one 'special' engine in one car like the LS7 has been until 2013.

Personally, I'd be very wary if I was buying any LS7-equipped car like the new Camaros unless and until I heard specifics that these issues had been addressed and corrected. I do find it hard to believe that team Camaro has gone with the LS7. Great engine, but apparently somewhat flawed.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is possible to have a nearly flawless launch while problems are introduced later in production. There will be ongoing updates and improvements which will generally be positive but there is also likely to be "cost engineering" both by GM and its suppliers which often result in less desirable outcomes. So you MIGHT improve your odds with a later purchase but there is certainly no guarantee.

I have purchased several GM platforms with newly introduced engines and transmissions with good results but I have also been irritated at some of the changes/deletions when I "upgraded" to a later production year of the same model.

I am waiting for the second year C7 but primarily because it would be a garage queen if I purchased it now given work and consulting projects stretching out over the next 18 months. I am also leaning towards the automatic transmission but delaying purchase gives me more time to stress over that choice-particularly if the second year brings an 8 speed auto
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I look at the reports of LS7 issues and think "no reason to avoid a first-year engine -- it's not like they're going to fix stuff in the second year." Or third, or eighth...
Thats an excellent point.

If you are truly that concerned about LT1 reliability. What you makes you think they would EVER fix it. Hell you might as well wait forever or buy another LS3 C6.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I agree with your concern about the LS7. The problem is no matter when you buy, no matter what you buy, there is a chance that there will be a problem.
My 1998 C5 had cast pistons and was a great quiet car. My 2002 had those forged pistons and clattered like a diesel. Go figure. It may be the first C7's are better then the one they make two years later.
All production car LS series engines had/have cast pistons except for the C6 ZR1 which has forged pistons. (GM does build some crate engines with forged pitons, but they don't go into production cars)

Actually, around 2000, GM started using pistons with plastic coated skirts in order to make the piston to cylinder a slight interference fit(at build) in order to make the LS series engine quieter at startup(eliminate piston slap).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I certainly understand your thoughts but this isn't one 'special' engine in one car like the LS7 has been until 2013.

Personally, I'd be very wary if I was buying any LS7-equipped car like the new Camaros unless and until I heard specifics that these issues had been addressed and corrected. I do find it hard to believe that team Camaro has gone with the LS7. Great engine, but apparently somewhat flawed.
You forget that that one "special" engine was designed to go into 20% of the C6's production. 20% isn't a nano number.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You forget that that one "special" engine was designed to go into 20% of the C6's production. 20% isn't a nano number.
Oh, it's 'nano' now, is it?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

All production car LS series engines had/have cast pistons except for the C6 ZR1 which has forged pistons. (GM does build some crate engines with forged pitons, but they don't go into production cars)

Actually, around 2000, GM started using pistons with plastic coated skirts in order to make the piston to cylinder a slight interference fit(at build) in order to make the LS series engine quieter at startup(eliminate piston slap).
Well it didn't work in my car..
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Thats an excellent point.

If you are truly that concerned about LT1 reliability. What you makes you think they would EVER fix it. Hell you might as well wait forever or buy another LS3 C6.
Numbers.

the LS7 is a low volume motor, it is cheaper to pay the warranty claims out than it is to fix the issue.

The LT1 is going to be made, and sold in much larger numbers extending far outside of just the Vette platform. It will be in the Camaro, the SS, the Holdens, likely trucks, and whatever else they decide to throw it in.

So they will fix issues with the LT1, even if you have to wait until the LT2 for them to do it, as it is cheaper to fix them than pay out warranty claims.

GM does not give 2 ***** about you, or me, or doing the right thing, they only care about the dollars. The LS7 is proof that they will loose no sleep about screwing the loyal followers over to save a few bucks.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Z06vetteforums which specialize in z06 s doesn't have the rant and rave fear over what went wring with a small percentage of LS7s...

The way it's spoken about on this forum people who don't even have the problem are talking as if it already happened to them....

It's like a game of telephone....the story stretches and stretches...till it becomes a huge story...

There might be a few teething issues but nothing that can't be corrected if it goes wrong....

I wonder when the c7 z06 comes out how many who "have been waiting " for the higher performance version will suddenly have to wait yet another year because GM build quality etc ...

It's good to wait for whatever reason works for you.

To those who buy first year.....you do get a cool @SS ride! WOW!

JMO
Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

GM's *** is on the line with repairs for the Z-28, it is going to be tracked alot and they know it.

Last edited by sam90lx; 04-30-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anybody have concerns about the new LT1 engine ? At least with the old LS engines going from LS2 to LS3 there was a lot of experience in making these engines and the parts were proven out over many years. Since this LT1 is brand new what is the chance that there will be problems and potential revisions to the engine after the first year of production ? I can't remember if GM has ever had a flawless engine launch but I have my doubts.
The LT-1 Is just an LS-3 with a different injection system and some tweaks nothing really new at all. Oh there will be revisions for sure thats why I no longer buy first year GM products. You my dear are the paying beta tester.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 04-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anybody worried about the LT1 ?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh, it's 'nano' now, is it?
One day you two need to meet up.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by B-Myster
One day you two need to meet up.

I doubt we ever will as I don't cruise around Sonic at 10 MPH and BlueOx doesn't cruise around Talladega at 160+ MPH.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I doubt we ever will as I don't cruise around Sonic at 10 MPH and BlueOx doesn't cruise around Talladega at 160+ MPH.

Which, in both of your cases, cruising must be 2% of your time because 98% of it is spent blogging on Corvette Forum

Last edited by michaelinmech; 04-30-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Is anybody worried about the LT1 ?