Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
LS3_E85_Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
LS3_E85_Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Default C7 Z51 Weight

Hello All,

I know we have had a lot of buzz on the final weight specs for the Base C7 of 3290lbs. Myself, and I'm sure many of you would like to know the weight of the Z51. Does anyone have a educated guess, or real knowledge on this subject? If so, let's start sharing it here moving forward.

Known Z51 options that should add weight:

  1. 19/20" wheels
  2. Larger Brakes
  3. Rear sway bar
  4. Fan coolers
  5. Wing
  6. E-LSD

Anything else?


My prediction: 3,333lbs



Thanks!

Last edited by LS3_E85_Corvette; 04-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.
LS3_E85_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
sam90lx
CF Senior Member
 
sam90lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Ventura CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3_e85_corvette View Post
hello all,

i know we have had a lot of buzz on the final weight specs for the base c7 of 3290lbs. Myself, and i'm sure many of you would like to know the weight of the z51. Does anyone have a educated guess, or real knowledge on this subject? If so, let's start sharing it here moving forward.

known z51 options that should add weight:

  1. 19/20" wheels
  2. larger brakes
  3. rear sway bar
  4. fan coolers
  5. wing
  6. e-lsd

anything else?



Thanks!
3399?
sam90lx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
LS3_E85_Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
LS3_E85_Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Default

I don't see it being that high however, it's really up in the air.

I'm thinking 3350lb's with a full tank
LS3_E85_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Default

I have the Canadian order guide and it shows the base at 3,208lbs and the Z51 at 3,311lbs. This differs (lower) from what some saw at the Bash so I don't know which is correct... the Canadian guide or the Bash info.

Regardless, it looks like Z51 is 103lbs heavier than the base car.

Attached the page...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf _0430155858_001.pdf (15.0 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by gthal; 04-30-2013 at 03:00 PM.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I have the Canadian order guide and it shows the base at 3,208lbs and the Z51 at 3,311lbs. This differs (lower) from what some saw at the Bash so I don't know which is correct... the Canadian guide or the Bash info.

Regardless, it looks like Z51 is 103lbs heavier than the base car.
I think you're looking at a 2013 order guide for a C6.

The C6 base coupe is 3208 lbs and the C6 GS is 3311 lbs
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette View Post
I don't see it being that high however, it's really up in the air.

I'm thinking 3350lb's with a full tank
I'm also going with the 3350 as that was the weight that was on a display when C&D was interviewing the GM engineers.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Bill17601
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill17601's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania
Default

With me in it..3513 lbs.
Bill17601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I think you're looking at a 2013 order guide for a C6.

The C6 base coupe is 3208 lbs and the C6 GS is 3311 lbs
They may not have updated the weight from the C6 version of the document... I would bet the differential would be similar though.

Last edited by gthal; 04-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
LS3_E85_Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
LS3_E85_Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
They may not have updated the weight from the C6... I would bet the differential would be similar.
I think the GS will net more weight than the C7 Z51 for many reasons.


The base C7 for starters, already has said brake upgrade when compared to C6 base along with a few other things. I know I'm really reaching but, but i feel like they can do this within 70lbs. that would be a great goal at least.

They are either proud or embarrassed of the numbers, because they specifically left those details out at the bash.
LS3_E85_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Hot Rod Todd
CF Senior Member
 
Hot Rod Todd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa
Default

Let's all worry about every pound, then load the car up with every option we can find. Unless you are a drag racer, the weight provided by the Z51 is all useful towards performance and track reliability. Don't forget to add the NPP and FE4 magnetic ride, they will also add some weight but will make up for it in performance. It's easy to list the 2013 Grand Sport at 3311 lbs, but how many 1LT's have you seen? Many estimate 40-50 lbs. from 1LT to 3LT.

Current high performance cars are saddled with safety considerations and the C7 goes one step further with stuff like cylinder deactivation (economy).

Maybe GM will come out with a track package comparable to the new Z28 Camaro. Reduced noise insulation, thin glass, one speaker (for warning signals) and other low weight at all costs measures. Nice on the track, but I don't want it.
Hot Rod Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
LS3_E85_Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
LS3_E85_Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd View Post
Let's all worry about every pound, then load the car up with every option we can find. Unless you are a drag racer, the weight provided by the Z51 is all useful towards performance and track reliability. Don't forget to add the NPP and FE4 magnetic ride, they will also add some weight but will make up for it in performance. It's easy to list the 2013 Grand Sport at 3311 lbs, but how many 1LT's have you seen? Many estimate 40-50 lbs. from 1LT to 3LT.

Current high performance cars are saddled with safety considerations and the C7 goes one step further with stuff like cylinder deactivation (economy).

Maybe GM will come out with a track package comparable to the new Z28 Camaro. Reduced noise insulation, thin glass, one speaker (for warning signals) and other low weight at all costs measures. Nice on the track, but I don't want it.

All great points, and suggestions and to answer one of your questions, over 50% of all corvettes made are 1LT

My build will be the following.

1lt, Z51, Mag ride shocks
LS3_E85_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
OHV4LIFE
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Default

Here are the weight adders between the C6 and C7. Tadge didn't say if these figures are applicable to the base or Z51.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by OHV4LIFE; 04-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.
OHV4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Davidl81
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Default

I agree. Z51 will add a litte weight, but I can't see if adding 100lbs
Davidl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
LS3_E85_Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
LS3_E85_Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullius View Post
Here are the weight adders between the C6 and C7. Tadge didn't say if these figures are applicable to the base or Z51.

Click the image to open in full size.
You are correct if you are only judging the picture however, in the video he said a specific sound track that made it sound like this was the Base 1LT stingray figures

however, if this is the Z51 weight... we are actually talking about some seriously awesome figures.
LS3_E85_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Hemi Dave
CF Senior Member
 
Hemi Dave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island New York
Default

Z51 wheels are forged

.......the non Z51 wheels are cast......so the bigger wheels may be lighter.
Hemi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
miroad
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Default

A Ferrari 458 Italia has a curb weight of 3274 lbs. The C7 is in good company. A Bugatti Veyron's curb weight it 4162 lbs, despite all the carbon fiber. There's a price to pay in weight for all the technology in modern sports cars. How about a Lotus Exige at 2015 lbs?
miroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
OHV4LIFE
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullius View Post
Here are the weight adders between the C6 and C7. Tadge didn't say if these figures are applicable to the base or Z51.

Click the image to open in full size.
One thing about the curb weight versus dry weight is that it appears that curb weight seems to be based on more gas in the tank than in previous measurements for the C6. I read in a forum somewhere that that GM establishes the curb weight for a vehicle based on 2 gallons of gas in the tank. For the C7 I calculated:

111 lbs - 18.5 gallons of gas
19 lbs - 10.5 quarts of 10W30 oil
26.5 lbs - 12 quarts of antifreeze
7.1 lbs - 4 quarts of transmission fluid
0 lbs - power steering fluid (C7 has electric power steering)

All together that's 163.6 lbs of fluid. According to the photo above there is a 138 lb delta between the curb weight and the dry weight. Therefore, it appears that the estimated curb weight for the C7 is based on 14.25 gallons of gasoline. If my numbers and assumption are accurate, the equivalent "curb" weight based on the C6's weight determination methodology is 3224.6 lbs.

Last edited by OHV4LIFE; 04-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
OHV4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
b4i4getit
CF Senior Member
 
b4i4getit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Default

Actual C7 Z51 will be advertised as 3318 pounds.
b4i4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullius View Post
One thing about the curb weight versus dry weight is that it appears that curb weight seems to be based on more gas in the tank than in previous measurements for the C6. I read in a forum somewhere that that GM establishes the curb weight for a vehicle based on 2 gallons of gas in the tank. For the C7 I calculated:

111 lbs - 18.5 gallons of gas
19 lbs - 10.5 quarts of 10W30 oil
26.5 lbs - 12 quarts of antifreeze
7.1 lbs - 4 quarts of transmission fluid
0 lbs - power steering fluid (C7 has electric power steering)

All together that's 163.6 lbs of fluid. According to the photo above there is a 138 lb delta between the curb weight and the dry weight. Therefore, it appears that the estimated curb weight for the C7 is based on 14.25 gallons of gasoline. If my numbers and assumption are accurate, the equivalent "curb" weight based on the C6's weight determination methodology is 3224.6 lbs.
On the 2013 Z06 GM says the dry weight is 3041 and the curb weight is 3199, which leaves room for 158 pounds of fluids.

Base car should have slightly lower fluid weights as it does not have the larger 10.5 qt oil capacity, or the transmission cooler.

I believe the chart you showed is for a base C7, not the Z51 with the dry sump or transmission cooler.

That said, 20 pounds is a lot of fluid that went somewhere.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
RC000E
CF Senior Member
 
RC000E's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Dave View Post
Z51 wheels are forged

.......the non Z51 wheels are cast......so the bigger wheels may be lighter.
We discussed this...basically the forging cancels its weight savings due to size, but you get a larger/stronger wheel for the same weight essentially. So, no real savings, but more or less bigger size and strength for free...
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page C7 Z51 Weight
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing Brake 2PC rotors 10lbs lighter than Z51! Ben@WeaponX C7 Tech/Performance 26 08-14-2014 10:36 PM
My C7 Z51 corner weights and curb weight descartesfool C7 Tech/Performance 21 07-30-2014 01:32 PM
Another Question About Weight Gearhead Jim C7 General Discussion 55 10-02-2013 02:14 PM
Z51 added weight Achmed C7 General Discussion 1 07-26-2013 02:45 PM
Curb Weight RedC7AZ C6 Corvette General Discussion 14 07-30-2006 12:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Emails & Password Backup