Tadge specifically addresses DCT in the C7

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by bluemax750
Speed did a spot on the DCT transmission that the GM Corvette team was running. Had 14ms shift times. It also handled all the torque of the racing motor.
For what it's worth, look here to understand your mistake regarding transmissions. The unit in the C6R is an Xtrac square-cut gear sequential transaxle that just happens to be actuated by paddles. It's NOT a DCT. At all. Not even in the least. It's big, heavy-duty, noisy as all get-out, and would serve as a good road transmission for.. um.. maybe a pick-up?

That and it costs at least half of what a new C7 would.

As for the third item, that is BS too. A DCT is not any different than a regular manual tranny other than the clutches and pushbutton shifting. So I can't think of any reason why AFM would be a problem other than vibration and feeling the engagement/disengagement,
Which 4-cylinder-equipped car has a DCT in it? Are there any?

jas
Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Which 4-cylinder-equipped car has a DCT in it? Are there any?

jas
Volkswagen, Audi, Ford, Mitsubishi...

The only thing is that those are all I-4s. A V4 probably needs very hard work to control vibrations.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Kappa
The only thing is that those are all I-4s. A V4 probably needs very hard work to control vibrations.
I probably should have clarified my leading question to include the fact that it's a V4.

jas
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenRod

The one thing I would point out is that the SMG in the C6R is a purpose built race unit. I looked at one in Carlisle a few years back (I think Katech was offering one for the C5/6 if I remember correctly) and it retailed for around $27,000. Perhaps it was just a bean counter decision. I doubt we would have a base model that costs under $52k if they had gone that route. The cost would obviously be distributed over more units, but it would still be an increase.
Besides, just like with any model, you can't show all your cards the first year...
Its not an SMG. Its a sequential box that would never see the light of day on any OEM street car.

I wish people would do more research before spouting off wrong information.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
For purposes of this discussion, the Veyron has a DCT and makes 1000 lb-ft. It is obviously modified to handle that much torque and I am not suggesting that the development cost associated with the Veyron apply to the Corvette, but the point is that DCTs can be made to handle more torque than the Corvette will ever need.

The issue is not the torque. Saying it won't fit is a better reason. If they did not develop the C7 with the intention of using a DCT, they can't just drop one in after the fact because they are bigger and heavier so the current packaging may not allow for it.

No DCT is fine as long as the Corvette has a comparable offering. GM really has no choice but to put their new 8 speed in the Vette when it's ready but it will never shift as fast as a DCT. We can only hope it's close.
Maybe that is the reason: "...because they are bigger and heavier..."
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Silly boy; that would require people to actually, you know, look. Or do some small amount of work. Or, I dunno, perhaps think critically?

Your expectations are far too high.

jas
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL pwned.

-Alex
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If that was the case, half of the members here on CF wouldn't be able to post anything.

It amazes me how many people are 'enthusiasts'.. but know so little.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
This hits the proverbial nail on the head. All manufacturers made similar claims as GM when they didn't have DCT. When GM will be done building, and I guarantee they are working on one, then it will be the new fantastic DCT. Until then it will be it can't be done, or it's too heavy, or it doesn't fit.

GM will finish theirs after everyone develops one. That's just the truth, it's cheaper to walk on a beaten path and GM wants the bargain vehicle. The GM costumer wants the bargain vehicle, so he/she will have to wait.

If the C7 had a DCT but cost $5,000 more, people would be howling.
A few years from now when GM gets one that can be used or adapted for most of their cars, then it will appear.

Remember, this is a company that was in bankruptcy a few years ago.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,372 Likes on 2,065 Posts

So you DCT guys would be OK if GM put a DCT in the Stingray with the LT1, but when they come out with the LT5 and/or the L88 it did not have one because it would not fit and handle the torque?

I would guess that they are trying to get a DCT transmission that will work for all levels of the Corvette, and potentially the trucks, including the diesel. It would be nice if they had a transmission lighter than the Allison for that.

Which of the Corvette transmissions didn't shortly go into a truck or other higher volume car in the GM line?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
He has owned several Audis, his disappointment was visible, traded his S5 for a M5. I didn't say he was self proclaimed, that was my view of him, no need to make things up. Those magazines never mentioned the many catastrophic Porsche M96 engine failures either, or weren't they real?
And LS7 failures were also real, but what's the point? You will not likely experience an M96 or LS7 failure during the course of a test drive. You WILL experience cylinder deactivation during the test drive of an S6/S7. These guys hardly noticed.
I could claim "a friend" said this or that all day long. Individual anectodal evidence doesn't amount for much in the face of a wealth of independent 3rd-party evaluations that have no interest in settling online debates.

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
I love it when people compare cars costing 2 - 6 times the price of the vette in question.....
Did Tadge mention price? Some of those cars are only 1/10-1/400th the volume. Their prices have more to do with their market positioning, rather than any real cost in developing a DCT.

Last edited by Guibo; 05-02-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I TRULY don't know what you people want....
Tadge was asked about DCT and he ANSWERED the question. Since none of you internet engineers are ACTUAL engineers, can you just LET IT GO! ALL of you who keep spouting off about this have ZERO idea what is involved in engineering a transmission...ZERO. Reading a tech article doesn't make you an ENGINEER. Calling the man a liar, pointing to what other makers do, etc, doesn't change anything. THERE'S NO DCT IN THE C7. Either buy a PROPER manual or the 6 speed automatic. Those are your choices. If you don't like them, go buy something else. And please let us know how you found the car that satisfied EVERY one of your wants and desires.

Jimmy

PS. I want FE4 available on the base car, they don't offer it. Maybe I should start hundreds of threads about what a jerk Tadge is for MAKING me buy a Z51 equipped car to get what I want.
I could call it: "No FE4 in base car...EPIC FAIL"

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
2014 GT-R - 463 lb-ft
SLS AMG - 479 lb-ft
BMW M5 - 500 lb-ft (from 1500 rpm)
Ferrari F12 - 509 lb-ft
Porsche 997 Turbo S - 516 lb-ft (from 2100 rpm)
Panamera Turbo S - 553 lb-ft (590 with overboost)
LaFerrari - 663 lb-ft
McLaren P1 - 664 lb-ft

Various Audis have both dual clutch and cylinder deactivation.

Of course it's not going to fit if you don't design it to fit from the start. And of course it's not going to fit from the start if you have no viable DCT plan to begin with.
Maybe the guys who gripe so much about the Corvette not having this DCT should just unload their wallets and get one of those cars.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
madonna
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed that the Bugatti Veyron DCT was mentioned as an example for a box for a road car that can handle a lot of torque.

That is correct, but that box was designed from ground up for the Veyron, and has a cost of $172,000.- ( not a "modified" standard box)

So might be a bit hard to fit something like that into the C7 design budget and keep it in a realistic price range
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for making me Google "DCT."
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Maybe the guys who gripe so much about the Corvette not having this DCT should just unload their wallets and get one of those cars.
Yes, that's always the answer when people try to justify why the Corvette shouldn't have features found on other cars:
"Go buy a [insert foreign manufacturer car]!"
This is roughly equivalent to the schoolyard retort "If you love it so much, marry it!" Not very mature, nor even relevant to the discussion, which is looking only at the technical merits of what was said.

The sad part is, too often too many people do take them up on that offer.
BigThreeDecliningMarketshare.jpg
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by drmustang
Save your breath.
That very scenario (buy something else) has been suggested about a million times, but these boys just like to read themselves bitching, while impressing all the rest of us with their engineering acumen and ability to use Google.

Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To Tadge specifically addresses DCT in the C7

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There's two reasons why the C7 has the old automatic and not a new DCT

1) Cost

2) Cost

The rest is BS.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"There's two reasons why the C7 has the old automatic and not a new DCT

1) Cost

2) Cost

The rest is BS."

And this gentleman, is directly from GM.

-Alex
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guibo
Yes, that's always the answer when people try to justify why the Corvette shouldn't have features found on other cars:
"Go buy a [insert foreign manufacturer car]!"
This is roughly equivalent to the schoolyard retort "If you love it so much, marry it!" Not very mature, nor even relevant to the discussion, which is looking only at the technical merits of what was said.

The sad part is, too often too many people do take them up on that offer.
BigThreeDecliningMarketshare.jpg
The retort to "buy something else" is entirely relevant. NO car is perfect, every car is compromised in some way. As a consumer (and a realist), you make your choice on which car meets your wants/needs while having the compromises that aren't an issue to YOU.
DCT is a sticking point to you, so buy a car with DCT. Maybe to someone else, maintenence costs are a big deal and because of that, they won't buy a GT-R. There's no right or wrong here, it's your money, buy what best meets your needs/wants. This never ending discussion is like saying "If a Corvette had back seats, I'd buy one". It doesn't, so rather than bitching about Chevrolet not meeting YOUR set of needs, look elsewhere.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tadge specifically addresses DCT in the C7