Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you think you ordered a C7, think again

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

My dealer explained that GM is accepting orders, but they won't begin to be processed for awhile. And it doesn't matter if GM had the order on 4/18, the car will be built in accordance with the dealer's allocation schedule.

The advantage to us for placing the orders now is to get a spot on the dealer's list. The big advantage is to GM, though. From all these early orders, they can see what people are going to want. If a majority of people are going with Z51, they know they will need to have all those components. But if hardly anyone orders the CF dash, they know they don't have to have a lot of those made.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
My dealer explained that GM is accepting orders, but they won't begin to be processed for awhile. And it doesn't matter if GM had the order on 4/18, the car will be built in accordance with the dealer's allocation schedule.

The advantage to us for placing the orders now is to get a spot on the dealer's list. The big advantage is to GM, though. From all these early orders, they can see what people are going to want. If a majority of people are going with Z51, they know they will need to have all those components. But if hardly anyone orders the CF dash, they know they don't have to have a lot of those made.

The point now is to know your dealer has allocations. If you have an order number and can find it on Chevy.com, you know your dealer has allocations. The formula GM will use to decide when dealers get to order their allocations is a mystery.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

this whole order process seems like one big huge f'k up if you ask me, really now, how difficult is it to take orders and produce the what was ordered, I mean it's not like they're making 100 million Civics.

I went to my dealership (same one that I bought my last Corvette from) and they didn't even have it in their system, I mean c'mon, don't unveil the f'kn car until you have all the ordering kinks worked out and it's possible for EVERYBODY in North America, you know, your largest customer base, to walk in, slap down a deposit, customize the car they want and wait patiently until the car arrives maybe 2 months tops later. This whole maybe you can order, maybe you can't and if you do you still might not be eligible because the dealer that you went to wasn't the largest volume dealer is bull$hit and while we're on the subject of delivering, who the hell releases a sports car in the fall, great, I'll have a month of driving it before it sits for 5 months of winter and early spring.

IMO GM totally dropped the ball in the release of the C7 and as much as I like the car and will buy one I'm certainly not a happy camper, oh and GM, you're welcome for my tax dollars that bailed you out.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
this whole order process seems like one big huge f'k up if you ask me, really now, how difficult is it to take orders and produce the what was ordered, I mean it's not like they're making 100 million Civics.

I went to my dealership (same one that I bought my last Corvette from) and they didn't even have it in their system, I mean c'mon, don't unveil the f'kn car until you have all the ordering kinks worked out and it's possible for EVERYBODY in North America, you know, your largest customer base, to walk in, slap down a deposit, customize the car they want and wait patiently until the car arrives maybe 2 months tops later. This whole maybe you can order, maybe you can't and if you do you still might not be eligible because the dealer that you went to wasn't the largest volume dealer is bull$hit and while we're on the subject of delivering, who the hell releases a sports car in the fall, great, I'll have a month of driving it before it sits for 5 months of winter and early spring.

IMO GM totally dropped the ball in the release of the C7 and as much as I like the car and will buy one I'm certainly not a happy camper, oh and GM, you're welcome for my tax dollars that bailed you out.
There were Canadian tax dollars in the GM bailout?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
There were Canadian tax dollars in the GM bailout?

yes, 9.5 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...ns-100421.html
Old 05-04-2013, 03:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I learn something new every day here on the Forum!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
themonk
Team Owner

I learn something new every day here on the Forum!

I'm more than happy to support GM with my tax dollars, no problem with it at all, they provide jobs for Canadians and they will repay the loan (although how exactly the repayment ends up back in my pocket I have not idea) but when I walk into a dealership I expect the salesman to know about what I want, how much it will cost and exactly when I can expect it to arrive, I don't think the salesman that I dealt with even knew there was a 2014 Corvette. Also, I would expect GM to provide information to Canadian dealerships, I mean the US got their MSRP 2 weeks ago, there is no Canadian pricing as of yet and won't be until later this month, how difficult is it to put a Canadian price tag on a car that already has a US price. It just pisses me off that GM treats it's Canadian customers like second class citizens considering that body panels for the Corvette are produced here in Canada by a Canadian company. We may not be GM's largest customer but we certainly do command some respect and fair treatment.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tansor
when I put my zip, 60503, all that tool does is spin?
Maybe it means no one in your local area has available allocation.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM
jr3
Safety Car

when I walk into a dealership I expect the salesman to know about what I want, how much it will cost and exactly when I can expect it to arrive, I don't think the salesman that I dealt with even knew there was a 2014 Corvette.
Yup, if a dealership is going to sell Corvettes they should have a person trained to know info. about the product... It does not represent the brand good when the person selling a car has no clue about the car.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer
I had an appt this morning with my local dealer. I'm #2 on their list for a Coupe. They have an initial allocation of 14-vehicles.

I thought I was going to order a car today.

It turns out that THEY can't place the order with Chevrolet yet. They'll pick the options and give you a price, but there is no method to convey this to GM. I told them to call me when a REAL order can be placed.

I trust them. I just wanted to hear from other Forum members who placed orders. Is this what you have been told as well?
Correct, no actual orders can be placed yet. Not sure what date the factory is accepting orders. Your dealer can reserve your spot for them to fill their allocation. But that's it for now. All cars orders that have been placed at the dealership are not ahead of anyone else's at this point.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

You can't order something that isn't being produced yet. Your dealer can take an order based on how many allocations he is getting from the factory. Until production actually begins, slated for July, actual orders from the dealer cannot be accepted.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default I want to thank ..............

Props to all the order beta testers from those of us that are determined to wait. By the time the convertible is released, this should be smooth sailing .........................
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

...and while we're on the subject of delivering, who the hell releases a sports car in the fall, great, I'll have a month of driving it before it sits for 5 months of winter and early spring.
I was actually thinking this myself. Good point.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

...who the hell releases a sports car in the fall, great, I'll have a month of driving it before it sits for 5 months of winter and early spring.
Guys in Florida and California are confused by this statement ...
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

while we're on the subject of delivering, who the hell releases a sports car in the fall, great, I'll have a month of driving it before it sits for 5 months of winter and early spring.
Actually, there's an easy fix for that - just give all of the initial allocation in the first 6 months to dealers in the sunbelt states!

Problem solved!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, so many folks in such a huge hurry to get one of these C7s...lots of impatience about getting that order in.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Actually, there's an easy fix for that - just give all of the initial allocation in the first 6 months to dealers in the sunbelt states!

Problem solved!

That way us in the south are helping our northern friends by working the bugs out. By spring, GM has a perfect car for the folks up north.

Get notified of new replies

To If you think you ordered a C7, think again

Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I understand your issues, but why don't you start where it can count the most? If GM Canada wanted a change, based on input, maybe changes would happen. It doesn't seem as if enough potential buyers and current owners work cohesively on the GM management there. Change is great but it usually starts from local (or country) initiation.

I'm more than happy to support GM with my tax dollars, no problem with it at all, they provide jobs for Canadians and they will repay the loan (although how exactly the repayment ends up back in my pocket I have not idea) but when I walk into a dealership I expect the salesman to know about what I want, how much it will cost and exactly when I can expect it to arrive, I don't think the salesman that I dealt with even knew there was a 2014 Corvette. Also, I would expect GM to provide information to Canadian dealerships, I mean the US got their MSRP 2 weeks ago, there is no Canadian pricing as of yet and won't be until later this month, how difficult is it to put a Canadian price tag on a car that already has a US price. It just pisses me off that GM treats it's Canadian customers like second class citizens considering that body panels for the Corvette are produced here in Canada by a Canadian company. We may not be GM's largest customer but we certainly do command some respect and fair treatment.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Get used to it. GM Canada sells so few Corvettes that the marketing end of the business does not care. You are better of waiting a year and buying a used one in the US.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Guys in Florida and California are confused by this statement ...

Quick Reply: If you think you ordered a C7, think again