Sponsored by:

Photos of base interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I don't like it. Alcantara is a plastic material. Give me leather any day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such.
And the crazy thing is in some cars its listed as an upgrade from leather. I know it may sometimes be sold as an exotic material, but you are correct. Basicly it is plastic.

Artificial suede. Its not even real suede.

Keep the plastic... Just give me leather.

Alcantara (material)

Alcantara is a tradename given to a composite material used to cover surfaces and forms in a variety of applications. It can be described as an artificial substitute for suede leather. The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries, and was based on the same technology of their other product Ultrasuede, produced around the same time. Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material. The company is now owned by Toray and Mitsui.

Alcantara is created via the combination of an advanced spinning process (producing very low denier bi-component "islands in the sea" fibre) and chemical and textile production processes (needle punching, buffing, impregnation, extraction, finishing, dyeing, etc.) which interact with each other.

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such.

Some versions are designated as flame retardant in order to meet certain fire standards for both furnishings and automobile applications.

Alcantara has applications including furniture, clothing, jewelry, helmets and automotive (such as in seating, dash trimming and headliners in many high-end OEM automotive suppliers). Alcantara is being used currently as a flame retardant driver seat covering material for Formula One race cars, including the Williams Formula One 2011 FW33 car. It is also used in the ear pads material for the high-end, audiophile headphones Sennheiser HD800.

Last edited by jr3; 05-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

ZL-1 -- you said you checked it out at the Bash. Is it Carbon Flash Metallic or something lighter? It looks lighter in the photo BlueOx posted, like the dark-silver paint & plastic of some older Sony gear.

.Jinx
Looking at it indoors the dash face definitely looked like a shade of satin black, not a silver or gray like 2005 or 2006 consoles, not high gloss like carbon flash metallic. The flash pictures here in the gray 3LT interior bring up a rainbow metallic look when magnified but I didn't notice it in the indoor lighting last week.

I might add that the real carbon fiber dash in the other cars is very dull flat black, not at all like the glossy fake carbon fiber on 2008-up consoles. The standard dash is not flat, not high gloss, but an in-between satin black finish. Not having seen it in sunlight I can't say if the metallic is more pronounced then. I probably should be calling it a dark charcoal gray, not quite black.

Last edited by ZL-1; 05-05-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jr3
And the crazy thing is in some cars its listed as an upgrade from leather. I know it may sometimes be sold as an exotic material, but you are correct. Basicly it is plastic.

Artificial suede. Its not even real suede.

Keep the plastic... Just give me leather.
Back in the mid 80's, when Maserati was just trash, some smart lawyer who owned one that was falling apart saw that the dash inserts were not suede but actually Alcantara.

He kept his car's original dealer invoice it said "suede" inserts listed as standard equipment. He believed that suede had to be made of leather, no matter how close the artificial material looks and acts like it.

He sued... and won. And ever since you cannot say "suede" for artificial materials that look like suede.

Alcantara is a trade name. If the material is made by someone else, you cannot call it "Alcantara". Ultrasuede is a common name in the furniture business. Ultrasuede is not suede. Go figure.

Last edited by Sin City; 05-05-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 AM
jr3
Safety Car

And dont forget Microsuede
Old 05-05-2013, 02:24 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Freakin Plastic

Kinda ironic all those people talking crap about the C6 plastic interior parts all those years were also riding around with plastic interiors and didnt even know it.

Last edited by jr3; 05-05-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Lol good read.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
I think the popularity of alcantara came from some of the exotics using it (and race cars). But i still like the leather interiors a lot more.
I agree, Alcantara loves sweat!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

At least with the C7, GM is giving us the choice of Red, Grey or Black seats in the 1LT. I think that is a positive. I wonder if the Jet Black is a "true" Black? Not like the C6 Ebony. I agree with some that the 3LT is not worth the extra $$$$.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Should the C7 have more color in the interior besides just the seats mostly?

Maybe have seat color carpets and trim panels?

The pic below of the rear is mostly black inside other than the red seats.

Last edited by jr3; 05-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Should the C7 have more color in the interior besides just the seats mostly?... Maybe have seat color carpets and trim panels?

The pic below of the rear is mostly black or dark gray looking other that the red seats.

This is the perspective everyone is judging rear visibility on? Yeah, I sit on my dash and face the rear while driving my C6 all the time. Scares the bejesus out of everyone I con into going for a ride with me
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
I hope when the Z06 arrives, they make a "hard core" package available. I do not want power seats. Once I set the thing, it does not move again until I sell it. I do not want leather because it is heavier than cloth (and wears worse). I want a block off plate for the stereo because I love listening to the engine. I ordered my 95 Z28 with hand crank windows.
The power adjusting seat is the best thing that ever happened to long distance driving. I move the seat all the time. I use the memory option as a seat 0 position. If I get the seat position way out I just push the #1 recall.

Last edited by Larry/car; 05-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I have not idea what you mean. Based on the info laid out in this thread I would pick 1LT for sure.

I generally integrate my android in my car and built the alarm and sound system, so there is nothing in the 2LT and 3LT as outlined above that would interest me. That's $8,000 savings apparently!
I agree ...1lt with the HUD added later for 6 bills....installed.

I think buying the MRC shocks, the z51 and the NPP get the nod over 2 LT.

Just a personal opinion and for those that order 2lt or 3lt...my hats off to you.

I do dig alcantara but I'll have DSV just do a d shaped alcantara steering wheel and shift boot and ****...I did this with my c6 z51 and I'm very pleased.

Wish I could have alcantara seats instead of leather but since that only comes as an option after 3lt...I'll survive
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Should the C7 have more color in the interior besides just the seats mostly?

Maybe have seat color carpets and trim panels?
Check out this thread for pictures of the Brownstone interior. It is unlike the other colors in that the doors, dash, and console include micro suede.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM
CaptainChet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do believe that's my photo above but this one shows the two tone better.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I agree ...1lt with the HUD added later for 6 bills....installed.

I think buying the MRC shocks, the z51 and the NPP get the nod over 2 LT.

Just a personal opinion and for those that order 2lt or 3lt...my hats off to you.

I do dig alcantara but I'll have DSV just do a d shaped alcantara steering wheel and shift boot and ****...I did this with my c6 z51 and I'm very pleased.

Wish I could have alcantara seats instead of leather but since that only comes as an option after 3lt...I'll survive
I thought about the HUD, figured I'd want it. Then thought some more...not really. I can't honestly think of a time when I would need it. The best piece in this car is the race mode rev meter. That's the only thing I would look at while driving the car hard...if anything at all. I need the windshield uncluttered to see where I'm going. I'm **** about that. Even my radar detector is custom done in the bumper so I don't see it.

As for the NPP, go titanium or go home.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
aub4life
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
If someone picks the 1LT or 2LT, and you still like the seat colored leather wrap trim on the dash im sure the vendors on the forum can add those mods to your C7 with no problem. Some of the upgraded C6 leather mods look pretty good.

Love these mods. Bringing the orange inside the car is a stroke of genius. I want Atomic Orange!

Quick Reply: Photos of base interior