Sponsored by:

C7 Dual Mode Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
kenp2014
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Dual Mode Exhaust

Doe sanyone know how the new DME system will be controlled? Is there a switch on the console or is it in the info system?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by kenp2014
Doe sanyone know how the new DME system will be controlled? Is there a switch on the console or is it in the info system?
It is via the infotainment system.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
It is via the infotainment system.
Can it be turned on/off like the mild2wild switch?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Can it be turned on/off like the mild2wild switch?
I believe you will be able to. It's electronic now not vacuum anymore. In one on the videos Tadge talked about turning it on/off by a switch (I think that would be the mode selector switch) and someone in the audience commented about no more aftermarket needed for that anymore....
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

too bad, unless there's still some way to control it physically (or electronically). I've got my old NPP left slightly open with steel collars. gives me something other than "on-off" of mild2wild. there's always sound to the level I like it, and still opens all the way at about 3500 rpm.

oh well, just differences....
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure it's accurate to call the system "dual-mode". According to the below quote from an Autoblog article I copied from another thread, there are 7 different modes.

"Last but not least, an Engine Sound Management system will alter the 'robustness' of the engine note via seven settings: Auto, Stealth, City, Tour, Sport, Track and Off."
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
too bad, unless there's still some way to control it physically (or electronically). I've got my old NPP left slightly open with steel collars. gives me something other than "on-off" of mild2wild. there's always sound to the level I like it, and still opens all the way at about 3500 rpm.

oh well, just differences....
Isn't that just a matter of what the control system, be it vacuum powered or electric powered, perceives "closed" to mean and isn't that determined by an actual physical adjustment?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Frizzle86
Race Director

Not sure, but one of the first 'mods' many people do is exhaust systems for sound and looks. Not sure why GM invested money into something where a good number of people change out on their car.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frizzle86
Not sure, but one of the first 'mods' many people do is exhaust systems for sound and looks. Not sure why GM invested money into something where a good number of people change out on their car.
A LOT of people on this Forum swear by NPP and it is a VERY popular option for which GM collects a few $$$.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Isn't that just a matter of what the control system, be it vacuum powered or electric powered, perceives "closed" to mean and isn't that determined by an actual physical adjustment?
maybe. I hope so, and if it has seven different modes, that might suffice for me.

GM invested the money back in '08.* for those who bought into the exhaust system, I'd say maybe 5% might have changed it out for another aftermarket system. the rest, like me, were fine with the system. GM made money that would have otherwise gone to one of the aftermarket companies and made most of those who bought it, happy.

* actually GM started it a year or two before in the Z06 before putting it on the base and eventually GS cars.

Last edited by AORoads; 05-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I got NPP on my 13 GS. Dealer highly recommended it. I think it a big waste of money. Give me a Corsa anytime. No rumbling, droan and louder when you want it.....plus sooooo much simpler!!! I'd rather have sound cancelling technology then baffles in the muffler.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

But if you really want to know.....

Just about everything about the upcoming 2014 Corvette Stingray seems to be preceded by the word “first.”
Now here’s yet another part of the seventh generation Corvette that’s leading the way for other cars.
The Corvette’s standard exhaust system will be the first vehicle to use Tenneco’s electrical valve technology for sound tuning to provide a unique signature sound when you drive this exciting beast.
The electric valves will be working together with the vehicle’s new Active Fuel Management system, which saves gas by switching between four-cylinder and eight-cylinder mode. As the Corvette switches between the two engine modes, the valves will open and close to control the sound of the exhaust.
In addition to those valves, the exhaust system will also include the option of two more electrical valves in the tailpipes, tuned specifically for enhanced sound quality. During normal driving conditions, these extra valves will be closed, but they’ll open during harder acceleration, creating lower backpressure, more engine power, and that beautiful Corvette signature sound.
“The Corvette is one of America’s iconic automobiles, and Tenneco could not be more excited and pleased to partner with Chevrolet to provide a combination of performance attributes, including improved fuel economy, power and the vehicle’s signature sound,” said Tim Jackson, Tenneco’s chief technology officer. “Additionally, the program gives Tenneco an opportunity to demonstrate our advanced exhaust technology on one of the highest performance vehicles available in the market.”
Tenneco supplies ride performance and clean air technologies for GM cars and trucks around the world. The Corvette’s electric valves will be made in Spain, and the other system components will be manufactured in Nebraska and Indiana. Tenneco’s Smithville, Tennessee plant will have the honor of hosting the final assembly of the exhaust system.
Tenneco is a $7.4 billion global manufacturing company with headquarters in Lake Forest, Illinois and approximately 25,000 employees worldwide. Tenneco is one of the world’s largest designers, manufacturers and marketers of clean air and ride performance products and systems for automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment markets and the aftermarket. Tenneco’s principal brand names are Monroe®, Walker®, XNOx™ and Clevite®Elastomer.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Not true at all. Almost all loved the NPP. The new system will make it even more adjustable and fun to play with.

Chevrolet first invested in this system in 2008, I believe. Or right around that time. Can't wait to here the new one. No need to go aftermarket at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And from everything I have read, the C7 gets 4" stainless outlet pipes with the NPP option code vs 3.5" stainless outlet pipes on the C6 NPP exhaust system.

Nice upgrade in pipe size sticking out the back!

(4) ea 4" pipes out the back has got to look good!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
And from everything I have read, the C7 gets 4" stainless outlet pipes with the NPP option code vs 3.5" stainless outlet pipes on the C6 NPP exhaust system.

Nice upgrade in pipe size sticking out the back!

(4) ea 4" pipes out the back has got to look good!
Seems there is a picture or 100,000 out there. Someone mentioned (not kidding) Tadge had to be convinced to add the weight of 4" tips instead of 3.5".
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I heard Tadge asked the engineers to make change. The engineers told Tadge to keep the tips.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I heard Tadge asked the engineers to make change. The engineers told Tadge to keep the tips.
Where did you hear that? My memory is that someone, in explaining Tadge's pre-occupation with insisting that every gram of weight be justified, mentioned the increased exhaust tip size as an example.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Dual Mode Exhaust

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Frizzle86
Race Director

Originally Posted by speedlink
Not true at all. Almost all loved the NPP. The new system will make it even more adjustable and fun to play with.

Chevrolet first invested in this system in 2008, I believe. Or right around that time. Can't wait to here the new one. No need to go aftermarket at all.
I hardly stepped into C6 gen at all after 2006. I would visit a few times but they were more worried about floor mat protectors and how many coats of Zanio they could apply with in one week.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

In the end GM has put a few of the after market items that we would normally buy from the forum vendors and made them options or standards, i.e. M2W and Lloyds type floor mats for example. Vendors will have to come up with new mods as I am sure they will.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Where did you hear that? My memory is that someone, in explaining Tadge's pre-occupation with insisting that every gram of weight be justified, mentioned the increased exhaust tip size as an example.
The reference was to change as in coins..the tips relate to those coins. It was supposed to be funny. But I guess I missed the mark. Sorry. My bad.

Quick Reply: C7 Dual Mode Exhaust