Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand the pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Help me understand the pricing...

So the Z51 package, which includes the following upgrades:

Dry Sump Oiling System
Larger Diameter Forged Wheels
Larger Dual Cast Brake Rotors
Upgraded Bilstein Shocks
Upgraded Sway Bars
eLSD with Differential Cooler
Performance Gear Ratios
Upgraded Performance Software for PTM
Upgraded Aero

Many of these items in the Z51 package are significant mechanical upgrades and the grand total for all this equipment is only $2,800, which is an awesome deal.

Then on the other side of the value spectrum is the Competition Sport Seats with Suede Inserts, which is a direct replacement of the base GT Seats and it costs $2,500. Both seats seem to share the same seat bottom and the only difference being the shape of the seat back section with additional side bolstering. As far as I can tell, there aren't any additional exotic materials used in the upgraded seats since they both have the magnesium frame, except the Competition Sport Seats have that tiny bit of carbon fiber and the optional suede inserts. It is still unclear to me if the Competition Sport Seats come standard with the adjustable bolsters and lumbar even on the 1LT. If not, then you will still need to pay extra for the 2LT just to get a fully adjustable seat.

It just seems odd to me how these two are priced. The Z51 package is a screaming good value for all those mechanical upgrades but the Competition Sport Seats costs nearly the same amount for just an upgraded seat back and a tiny bit of additional carbon fiber and suede.

In any case, at least I can't fault GM for getting their priorities straight and keeping the Z51 package so affordable. I paid the same amount for Sport Packages on my BMW and didn't get half the performance upgrades that the Z51 includes. Kudos to GM for keeping the price reasonable for the C7 and the Z51!

Last edited by daixloxbmw; 05-07-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

What are "performance gears" exactly? Does it just mean it'll have faster low-end acceleration at the expense of high-end acceleration?

I don't go to the track so I'm not really interested in much more than straight line performance.

I am either going to get a non-Z51 with aftermarket wheels or the Z51 with black wheels. Pretty much my only reason so far for possibly getting the Z51 is that black wheels are not offered on the base, but if there are other advantages of the Z51 to someone who does not track their car that could influence my decision too. Otherwise, if my only advantage is nicer wheels the 2,800 upgrade isn't really worth it (for me at least)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Achmed
What are "performance gears" exactly? Does it just mean it'll have faster low-end acceleration at the expense of high-end acceleration?

I don't go to the track so I'm not really interested in much more than straight line performance.

I am either going to get a non-Z51 with aftermarket wheels or the Z51 with black wheels. Pretty much my only reason so far for possibly getting the Z51 is that black wheels are not offered on the base, but if there are other advantages of the Z51 to someone who does not track their car that could influence my decision too. Otherwise, if my only advantage is nicer wheels the 2,800 upgrade isn't really worth it (for me at least)
The upgraded Performance Gear Ratios will give you better all around acceleration at all speeds but it comes at the expense of worse fuel economy and possibly lower top speed (it will likely be limited way before it reaches its natural top speed anyway).
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Z51 package is by far the best bang for the buck option other than 1LT. The only downside, and i hate to be negative, is going to be all the extra mass added tot he car once you check that Z51 optoin. I'm going for strait-line performance, so no Z51 for me. If you do a base C7 1LT (which is loaded), it's only 90lbs heavier than the C6 base 1LT corvette (what i currently have)

If i was a track rat though.... Z51 is an amazing deal, and might even be worth to spend the extra 1,700 bones, and get the mag ride.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

I just going to use it for DD but I'm getting the Z51, so I can also get the MRC!

Resell will also be better down the line!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
I just going to use it for DD but I'm getting the Z51, so I can also get the MRC!

Resell will also be better down the line!!

Also, you will have the best all around handling/performing C7Vette for street/track driving.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Z51 is the way to go. IMHO Great value.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Z51 is a real deal. Shhhhhhh....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
If you wait until the 2015 model year you should be able to get MRC on the base model.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I was surprised when I saw $2,800. I was guessing $5,000 - $6,000. It seems to me that 80% of the 14's will be Z51.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I was surprised when I saw $2,800. I was guessing $5,000 - $6,000. It seems to me that 80% of the 14's will be Z51.
Agreed, I thought $5k would be an appropriate amount to charge for all these goodies in the Z51 package.

Having said that, $2,500 for the Competition Sport Seats with Sueded Inserts seems way overpriced in comparison. I mean, what exactly are you getting with that money, just a differently shaped seat back, with a tiny amount of carbon fiber and suede added? Just doesn't seem proportionately priced between these two options. These upgraded seats seem to be at least 75% markup.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't guess 80%, but the percentage will be over 50.

There have already been many complaints about various Z51 package options, not too easy to justify at only $2800. They come from the same people who will likely pay the $2000 to get clear coat on the carbon fiber roof.

Some of the topics included:

Dry sump takes too long to warm up
Don't like the look of the wheels - too narrow for 20-19"
Z51 specific tires won't wear well
What about spoiler delete? I don't want it.
The Z51 will weigh XXX lbs more, too heavy.
Performance gear ratios will hurt economy.
Bigger sway bars will make it ride rough.

Buy the Z51 with magnetic ride any you will have the best handling C7, and the car that every magazine will be testing in a few months.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
It is still unclear to me if the Competition Sport Seats come standard with the adjustable bolsters and lumbar even on the 1LT. If not, then you will still need to pay extra for the 2LT just to get a fully adjustable seat.
The 1LT's Competition Sport Seat seat is unique to the 1LT. It comes in black only and lacks heating and cooling and adjustable bolsters and lumbar. It differs visually by having no Corvette flag logo on the upper seatback.

If you order Competition Sport seats in a 3LT you lose the Napa leather, it's the same seat as a 2LT.

If you look carefully at a Competition seat next to a GT seat the upper "wing" width is pretty similar. One big difference is that the Competition seatbacks have deeper cutouts in the sides to facilitate more arm movement in aggressive driving.

Last edited by ZL-1; 05-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by ZL-1
The 1LT's Competition Sport Seat seat is unique to the 1LT. It comes in black only and lacks heating and cooling and adjustable bolsters and lumbar. It differs visually by having no Corvette flag logo on the upper seatback.

If you order Competition Sport seats in a 3LT you lose the Napa leather, it's the same seat as a 2LT.

If you look carefully at a Competition seat next to a GT seat the upper "wing" area is pretty similar. The biggest difference is that the Competition seatbacks have deeper cutouts in the sides to facilitate more arm movement in aggressive driving.

If that is true, then the 1LT Competition Sport Seats would be nearly useless if it doesn't have adjustable bolsters standard. That makes no sense to me because adjustable bolsters should be standard on an upgraded seat otherwise it is all for show.

I can certainly understand making adjustable bolsters on the base GT Seats an upgraded feature in the 2LT and 3LT trim, to keep costs down for the 1LT base model. However, if I am already paying $2,500 for the upgraded Competition Sport Seats, it is ridiculous that I have to pay another $4,210 to get adjustable side bolsters, especially since I don't want or need any of the other features included in the 2LT trim.

I just want all the performance upgrades, I shouldn't have to pay $6,710 for the tightest fitting seats in a sports car.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
... It seems to me that 80% of the 14's will be Z51.
The guys who aren't in a hurry and are willing to wait until next spring for their 2014 still might want to consider getting their orders in early:

1) The EPA mpg certification is performed with the base model. The Z51 gets by on the same rating even though it loses the Low Rolling Resistance tires and tall 0.42 7th gear and gains some weight. So GM has to make sure the majority of 2014s are base models. If Z51 proves to be too popular as the year goes on they may start to constrain Z51 production to keep the percentage where they want it. This may be why a performance axle ratio is no longer offered with non-Z51 automatics. In the past it was often put on constraint for EPA reasons.

2) There is likely to be one or more price increase starting around November or so. If your sold order is waiting in the system at status 1100 you are price protected no matter how long it takes for the dealer to get consensus for your order. The invoice and sticker will show the new price but GM will send the dealer a check for the difference. Sometimes just the base price is bumped, sometimes certain options too. During the C5 years the popular forged/polished wheels and tintcoat paint option prices were bumped several times within one year. Z51 might be a prime candidate ...

Last edited by ZL-1; 05-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The optional 'Competition Sport' seats give you the ability to install a set of aftermarket 5-point racing safety harnesses in the car if you choose.

The 'over the shoulder' belts of a 5-point racing harness system just won't fit using the standard 'GT' seats.

If your not installing these aftermarket 5-point racing belts in the car, I would think the Competition Sport seats would be a waste of money.

AE4 Competition Sport Seats without Suede Inserts . . $1,995

AE4 Competition Sport Seats with Suede Inserts . . . . $2,495

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No way 80% will be Z51's. Remember the dealers order most of the cars. They will order a lot of plain Jane autos at lower MSRP to maximize sales. Plus, GM can just tell them they can't get Z51 if its an issue. Too bad.

My guess is that it will be very difficult to get a Z51 manual with 3lt trim off a dealer lot anytime soon. There's no need for it as people will just buy what's there while its hot. With fewer dealers having them, it's not like you can just go across the street.

As to price increases on popular options, what else is new?

Last edited by Sin City; 05-07-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
The upgraded Performance Gear Ratios will give you better all around acceleration at all speeds but it comes at the expense of worse fuel economy and possibly lower top speed (it will likely be limited way before it reaches its natural top speed anyway).
Cool, if the Z51 has better all around accelerations at all speeds then I'm definitely sold on it.

However, someone else here posted that due to the weight difference it won't have better straight-line performance?

I know it's all speculation at this point, but do you guys believe that the Z51 with the weight disadvantage will still have better all around acceleration (even slightly) than the base?

This is for an automatic transmission.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The Zero to 60 could be slightly better due to stickier tires. Also, if you get the automatic with Z51 you get a lower rear axle ration that should help acceleration (not available as an option like it used to be on the C6) Once they are moving the weight could make a difference if everything else is equal. Any slight differences would likely be too small to notice, things like driver skill and such will make more difference.

Once you put it on a track or hit the curves it will be another story. The Z51 car should be quite a bit quicker due to bigger brakes, better tires, and stiffer suspension. With the MR suspension package the difference in handling will be even more noticable.

If you're a drag racer, get a 1LT base model and but pizza cutter wheels on the front.
If you want a car that can do it all, get the Z51 with MR suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me understand the pricing...

Quick Reply: Help me understand the pricing...