Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 & c7

Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Default C6 & c7

You know, when I saw this photo posted here on CF a few days ago, three things immediately came to mind:

1. BOTH the C6 and the C7 are drop dead beautiful machines
2. The appearence changes between the two cars are definately "evolutionary" vice "revolutionary. That is why the first minute we laid eyes on the C7, there was never a doubt it was a Corvette
3. There has been some debate here as to whether or not the C7 makes the C6"obsolete". Maybe from the standpoint of interior design, even engineering, but in looks, never. Like I said, both are stunners. That won't change just because one model is newer. The C6 will still be just as georgous years from now. IMHO

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
You know, when I saw this photo posted here on CF a few days ago, three things immediately came to mind:

2. The appearence changes between the two cars are definately "evolutionary" vice "revolutionary. That is why the first minute we laid eyes on the C7, there was never a doubt it was a Corvette
3. There has been some debate here as to whether or not the C7 makes the C6"obsolete". Maybe from the standpoint of interior design, even engineering, but in looks, never. Like I said, both are stunners. That won't change just because one model is newer. The C6 will still be just as georgous years from now. IMHO
Yep. IMHO you hit the nail on the head
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With one exception that backend ....
It will never be resolved - it is what it is , all will have to come to love it or be continually turned away by it.

It is a less cohesive design than the c6 because of that singularity.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

I think that this forum has an oddity that you don't find many other places on the net. I've visited other car forums and found folks discussing the C7 there but, when you come to this site - a corvette enthusiast site, instead of finding what you'd expect, you actually frequently see people bagging on the C7, setting unnecessarily high expectations for it, and nitpicking every possible feature or statistic.

I started lurking here back in January and it took awhile to figure out. People all over the net and across several car magazines are drooling over the new C7 but, here, several posters come into just about every thread and start squandering the discussions with negativity.

After awhile, it all became obvious. There are many people here who are owners of the outgoing "hotness" (i.e. C6 owners) who dropped significant coin on and have developed a lot of affection for their car, and so their is some bizarre defensiveness. The incoming new-hotness, in their mind, is an attack or hostility toward their C6. And, thus, you get a lot of sour-grapes posters attacking the C7 at every turn. I'm not talking about folks who legitimately say "Eh, I don't care for the tail of the C7," I'm talking about those who go beyond that.

Sorry for the "cool story brah" parts of my post - but I wanted to point out that it's all so unnecessary. The C7 coming out has absolutely nothing to do with your C6. And, even if you perceive that the C7 will make your C6 "obsolete" in the eyes of the public -- who cares, what you drive is for your own enjoyment. Period. Hopefully you're not doing something stupid like driving a car based upon the perceptions of others.

People can quit worrying about whether the car they like is "obsolete" or fighting the good fight against the C7. The C7 is going to come out regardless, and people are going to continue to froth at the mouth over it. Enjoy your C6's, there's no need to defend them against the progression of time and vehicle model-years. The "obsolete debate" needn't even cross your mind.

Last edited by C7 4 Me; 05-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by matthewelle
With one exception that backend ....
It will never be resolved - it is what it is , all will have to come to love it or be continually turned away by it.

It is a less cohesive design than the c6 because of that singularity.
You do understand that many of us consider the rear end the most exciting part of the C7 don't you? And I am a C6 owner who does not know when, or even if, I will get a C7.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the styling is without question Corvette on the C7. Anyone who couldn't live with either car with great pride must be very strange at a minimum. I love the rear of my C6 and I also truly admire the back side of the C7. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

I don't know what the hell you your talking about here.
But it doesn't apply to me.
And I'm tired of not being able to post up an opinion of the C7 which is not a mindless superlative about the car.

The fact that C7 enthusiast have to come to defend this car so vehemently is a sign that not all's well in C7 land, that any perceived attack might proliferate a civil war of vette enthusiasts and indeed the emperor might not have all his clothes on.

But the concerns over the rear have been discussed widely across the internet, which is all I did was mention it. It's called balance... and perhaps a discordant voice which should never be silenced by the angry mob in an open forum.

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
I think that this forum has an oddity that you don't find many other places on the net. I've visited other car forums and found folks discussing the C7 there but, when you come to this site - a corvette enthusiast site, instead of finding what you'd expect, you actually frequently see people bagging on the C7, setting unnecessarily high expectations for it, and nitpicking every possible feature or statistic.

I started lurking here back in January and it took awhile to figure out. People all over the net and across several car magazines are drooling over the new C7 but, here, several posters come into just about every thread and start squandering the discussions with negativity.

After awhile, it all became obvious. There are many people here who are owners of the outgoing "hotness" (i.e. C6 owners) who dropped significant coin on and have developed a lot of affection for their car, and so their is some bizarre defensiveness. The incoming new-hotness, in their mind, is an attack or hostility toward their C6. And, thus, you get a lot of sour-grapes posters attacking the C7 at every turn. I'm not talking about folks who legitimately say "Eh, I don't care for the tail of the C7," I'm talking about those who go beyond that.

Sorry for the "cool story brah" parts of my post - but I wanted to point out that it's all so unnecessary. The C7 coming out has absolutely nothing to do with your C6. And, even if you perceive that the C7 will make your C6 "obsolete" in the eyes of the public -- who cares, what you drive is for your own enjoyment. Period. Hopefully you're not doing something stupid like driving a car based upon the perceptions of others.

People can quit worrying about whether the car they like is "obsolete" or fighting the good fight against the C7. The C7 is going to come out regardless, and people are going to continue to froth at the mouth over it. Enjoy your C6's, there's no need to defend them against the progression of time and vehicle model-years. The "obsolete debate" needn't even cross your mind.

Last edited by User 2623; 05-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

1. BOTH the C5 and the C6 are drop dead beautiful machines
2. The appearence changes between the two cars are definately "evolutionary" vice "revolutionary. That is why the first minute we laid eyes on the C6, there was never a doubt it was a Corvette
3. There has been some debate here as to whether or not the C6 makes the C5 "obsolete". Maybe from the standpoint of interior design, even engineering, but in looks, never. Like I said, both are stunners. That won't change just because one model is newer. The C5 will still be just as georgous years from now. IMHO
Fixed it...
Didn't I read this in 2004?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 AM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

I don't know what the hell you your talking about here.
But it doesn't apply to me.
And I'm tired of not being able to post up an opinion of the C7 which is not a mindless superlative about the car.
Calm down, take a breath, and remove the selective reading glasses. You'll note I specifically put the following carve-out into my post to make it obvious I wasn't talking about you -- "I'm not talking about folks who legitimately say "Eh, I don't care for the tail of the C7," I'm talking about those who go beyond that."

The fact that C7 enthusiast have to come to defend this car so vehemently is a sign that not all's well in C7 land, that any perceived attack might proliferate a civil war of vette enthusiasts and indeed the emperor might not have all his clothes on.
This is just wishful (and possibly delusional) thinking on your part.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
Fixed it...
Didn't I read this in 2004?
This happens with every generation change.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

This is an open forum and people can speak their mind...good or bad about the C7. Some love it, some dont. The rear is a big issue like it or not and not everyone agrees no matter how some try to spin it. When a member of the design team has to defend the rear in a video all is not well with the rear and or tail lights. Sure, GM may not change it but maybe there is hope for some when the performance models come out that there is a small change or rework. This is something present C7 buyers dont want to hear when they are about to fork over 50-70 grand but this is the way it is, sorry if you dont like it.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

And before you say....If you dont like it, why are you here? I think many that have things they dont like on the C7 are still possible buyers. I for one am really interested in it even if there are some things I dont like about it....does'nt mean I not interested to follow the discussions on it. Some of you guys have to realize this car just like everyone ever made is not perfect and well liked by all.

Last edited by sam90lx; 05-08-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

To the OP...

I'm a Corvette enthusiast and I don't care what generation I happen to see, I enjoy looking at it and talking about it with the owner.

Personally, I think it short-sighted to carry on this argument over which is better-looking, which is faster, which is obsolete, which has an ugly rear-end, etc. etc. ad naseum. They are all Corvettes and if it weren't for all the previous generations, we wouldn't be driving the C6 and soon to be C7's at all.

We stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak, and it's just silly to declare that one particular model is the end-all, be-all of Corvettes. We have today what we have because of work of dedicated engineers and designers that have made Corvette the unique American tradition that it is.

And in my most humble opinion, it's stupid and vain for any of us to bitch back and forth about the merits of one model over another. They are all Corvettes and should be given the respect that they all deserve.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well, I don't want to knock the C6 but it always looked like rising dough to me. I never really saw anything that was memorable in the design. It just sort of sits there.

I think the design team of the C7 did something good and something bad. They gave it an attitude and made it more powerful looking. That's good. But, its complicated shapes and forms will make it go out of fashion quicker. A classic it will never be, and 3 generations from now no one will remember square tail lights any more than Ferrari's today have side strakes in the vents as they did in the 80's.

Its attractive, but not catchy.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City
Well, I don't want to knock the C6 but it always looked like rising dough to me. I never really saw anything that was memorable in the design. It just sort of sits there.

I think the design team of the C7 did something good and something bad. They gave it an attitude and made it more powerful looking. That's good. But, its complicated shapes and forms will make it go out of fashion quicker. A classic it will never be, and 3 generations from now no one will remember square tail lights any more than Ferrari's today have side strakes in the vents as they did in the 80's.

Its attractive, but not catchy.
3 generations from now people will fondly recall the era of internal combustion engines
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I remember all the talk about the C5's fat ***.
I remember all the talk about the C6's exposed headlights.
I also think there has been some talk about parts of the C7, but can't exactly remember what.

Seeing the C5 and C6 on the road now, and they still look great.

Will the C7 look great in 10 or 20 years? I think so. Does the F117-A still look bad ***? Of course it does. I don't think the angles and creases on the C7 will necessarily go out of style. Lambo has been living off of the angular style for over 30 years now, and the Countach still looks pretty sweet.

However, no car is perfect. In a way it is almost nice to see that there are several areas in which GM can improve the C7's styling, to make it more cohesive (both on the interior and exterior). Some weight reduction would be nice as well.

I do really like that picture though, and also the picture of the C6 and C7 with the 911, R8, 458, and McLaren. The C7 in those photos really looks like a great evolution of the C6, and is clearly a Corvette. I like that the C7 has maintained a similar overall look.

-T

Get notified of new replies

To C6 & c7

Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Suffice it to say, there is no perfect car design and there is no car design that will be perfect to every possible buyer and enthusiast. And so it is with the C7, just as it has been with every generation prior. For gawds sake, the car almost died a couple of times from buyer disinterest.

I further think an enthusiast site like Corvette Forum should be overwhelmingly supportive of the Corvette brand, vehicles, ownership experience, new model intros and mostly fellow Corvette enthusiasts. At the same time it is equally important to be open minded to opinions of all types - so long as they are to the benefit of the CF Members. Using the Forum to simply bash the Corvette, it's owners, fellow enthusiasts and the like should be unacceptable and taken to a non-enthusiasts site.

I personally am a Vette guy, but moreover I am a car guy. There are some Vettes I like and others, not so much. I think the C7 is a huge step forward for the Corvette, a vehicle we can get excited about and that should have broad enough appeal to keep the flame alive. Is it perfect in my mind - no - but it's clearly the best yet and that's saying a lot. And thank gawd it isn't perfect or I would never be able to get one and there would surely never be a C8 or C9 or . . . . . .

Last edited by michaelinmech; 05-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic

Seeing the C5 and C6 on the road now, and they still look great.

Will the C7 look great in 10 or 20 years? I think so. Does the F117-A still look bad ***? Of course it does. I don't think the angles and creases on the C7 will necessarily go out of style. Lambo has been living off of the angular style for over 30 years now, and the Countach still looks pretty sweet.

-T
We'll say more F-22 than F-117.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth the home that I have lived in for the last 12 years I disliked the first time we saw it. Maybe it was the previous owners décor, maybe it was that the 2.5 acres was mostly wooded, maybe it was even that it didn't have granite countertops. My point is my fiancé liked it and convinced me to go back, we talked about what we could change and what we could live with and blah blah blah we bought it.

I look at the C7 the same way, it has grown on me to some degree but I am still not sold on it. Will I ever love everything about it, no not in it's current state but I definitely believe I can learn to live with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 & c7