Sponsored by:

Any advice on picking color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Motomike92
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on picking color?

I can't seem to stick to a body color? I've gone from torch red to cyber gray to laguna blue and back to torch red. I had a much easier time choosing the names of my kids. So the question is how or what criteria are you using to pick out body color? Am I the only one with this dilemma?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

maybe a crazy suggestion, but you could wait until you see them on a C7. then , your choice might be easier.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Same here as I like all the C7 exterior colors but would not chose black or NRB. I hate detailing. So I'm waiting until the Corvettes at Carlisle, Pa Show late August to decide. Every exterior color along with most of the interior combinations should be there. It will probably take me all day to finally commit.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AORoads
maybe a crazy suggestion, but you could wait until you see them on a C7. then , your choice might be easier.

I am leaning towards Torch Red
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

It's no problem for me - I'm buying a first-year C7 because of the availability of Lime Rock Green Metallic.

My C6 is Cyber Gray, and I would get it again, but I echo the suggestion for you to wait until you can actually see the colors in person.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking the darker colors will tone down the rear, unless you want to paint the lower black area body color (which I have a feeling a lot of people will end up doing). That's why my present choice is Night Race Blue. Will keep the '99 TR FRC. FWIW.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,364 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default can't do it

Originally Posted by AORoads
We live in a large town but despite that neither Chevrolet dealer will get more than 10 cars in 2014. If we wait to see them on the street it will be a while. We went to a big Vette club event and saw most every combo on C6's. Close enough to choose for us. Our 06 is Monterey Red which we love, this time Blade Silver/Adrenaline Red/Black is the one.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Looking forward to seeing one in person before making the final decision.
I had a silver 2006, CRM 2008, and now a TR 2010, currently strongly favoring a black vert with Kalahari loaded interior for my 2014 C7 Z51.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Premium color prices cost almost $1,000 extra. I'm staying with a standard color.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Motomike92
I can't seem to stick to a body color? I've gone from torch red to cyber gray to laguna blue and back to torch red. I had a much easier time choosing the names of my kids. So the question is how or what criteria are you using to pick out body color? Am I the only one with this dilemma?
I suffered from the same dilemma time and time again, but I always ended up getting a red one every time. I even bought a Precision Red 2005 C6.

If Red is one of your options, getting Torch Red is always a winner in my book. One of GM's greatest mistakes was when they did not offer it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at me, I'm fast: Torch Red or Velocity Yellow
Look at me, I'm BAD: Black, Cyber Gray, or Night Race Blue
Look at me, I'm Classy: Lime Rock Green, Crystal Red
Don't look at me: Arctic White, Blade Silver

Some other things to consider,
Does your buddy have the same color? You don't want to look like the bobsy twins.
How often do you like to polish your car? Always = Black, Never = White, Silver
What color interior do you like? Many are picking the interior first, then finding the best color to go with it.
Do you like the contrasting vents on the C7? If you like them get a bright color, if not go dark.
What do you have now? It's always nice to get a new color on your new car. Nothing worse than pulling up to a friends house, and nobody even notices your car is different.
What wheels do you like? Some colors like chrome wheels, some do not. Use the GM site to mix and match wheels and colors.

For me it's not too tough, I always get bright red.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

With this car, I think more than other generations, color really does have more impact. Many of the design elements of this car can either be enhanced, or subdued by simple color choice. Then add what your own personal desire for the "personality" of the car, and of course, to match your own.

The lighter, non metalic colors, red, yellow, white, give the car a more "hot rod" look given the carbon flash trim pieces. However, these colors also seem to subdue some of the angular "creases".

The lighter metalic colors, laguna blue, silver still bring out some of the carbon flash trim, giving that sporty look, yet reveal a bit more of the angular features of the body design.

The darker colors, which all seem metalic, Cyber grey, Crystal Red, Night Blue, Limerock Green, aside from black, subdue the trim as well as soften some of the lines, depending on the angle of the light source. This, gives the car a subtle elegance, "the strong silent type" if you will.

And then there's black. Black is black. It's my favorite but it's not for everyone. Strong, yet elegant. Reflective and invisible at night. Black will show the lighting features, and accentuate the lines softly in it's reflection of light.

so, it's a matter of deciding what features you like best about the car, and picking a color that will highlight those features, combined with subdueing those features that are not your favorite. If for example, you are not thrilled with the carbon flash trim, and you pick Velocity Yellow, that trim will be the first thing you see every time.

Anyway, just my thoughts on color choice for this particular car.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Bat7Man
Racer

Generally I agree about white being a don't look at me color. However, I think with this car the white stands out. With the black venting, black wheels, and carbon flash it is an awesome contrast. I was going to get black but switched to white. Ultimately, I love the LB, but WON'T pay $1k for a color, and want the red interior.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

You should choose Blade Silver.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm going with Cyber Gray. It's a great color when the sun hits it. Easy to keep clean and doesn't show swirls,etc either. I have it now also and am sold on it.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I can definitely agree with the comments posted, as I'm having the same problem making a decision. This will be my 10th 'Vette: One Riverside Gold ('69), one Classic White ('76) and the rest have been red or black. The rear fascia is the dilemna for me-as has been posted it depends if you're OK with the big carbon black contrast color or not.
I'm still leaning Torch Red, but Cyber Gray keeps coming back for that reason. Inconsistent as it may sound, white is still in contention as the stark contrast look with the black accents I find attractive as well. I also like the Kalahari interior color so that will play into my choice as it needs to be a compatible body color. I have my deposit down, and am #1 on my dealer's list of 10 allocations so I will need to make a decision fairly soon. I know whatever I eventually pick I'll see one in the combination I passed on and have second thoughts.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Skidooer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
You should choose Blade Silver.

I ordered silver because:

1. Contrasts good against the vents & Black Wheels
2. Looks clean with less detailing

Get notified of new replies

To Any advice on picking color?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Same here as I like all the C7 exterior colors but would not chose black or NRB. I hate detailing. So I'm waiting until the Corvettes at Carlisle, Pa Show late August to decide. Every exterior color along with most of the interior combinations should be there. It will probably take me all day to finally commit.

Good advice. Hopefully, Kerbeck will come thru for us. I am particularly interested in seeing the interior color combos w/exterior colors.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
J50
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nsad
Generally I agree about white being a don't look at me color. However, I think with this car the white stands out. With the black venting, black wheels, and carbon flash it is an awesome contrast. I was going to get black but switched to white. Ultimately, I love the LB, but WON'T pay $1k for a color, and want the red interior.
Agreed, white will definitely stand out...my E92 M3 was white and it certainly stood out. Based on the attention it got.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always subscribed to the idea of picking the color you desire most. As of late though, I always loved the two-tone red and black interior color and felt it would go best with a black or red exterior, so if I were buying another corvette those would be my options.

-Alex

Quick Reply: Any advice on picking color?