Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
harley2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default Carbon fiber roof option!!??

Why would you spend (if you would) 2k for the carbon fiber roof?

If, it is the same look as on ZR1, from a few feet away could hardly tell!!

My last C6, I bought both roofs (transparent/painted) & really only used the transparent one!

Thinking about only get the transparent one this time!

I know it cost more to make it, not looking for why the cost.

Want to know from those that have seen CF roof the Kool factor?

Do you really notice it?

thnaks

Last edited by harley2; 05-09-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more info
harley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
runutzzzzz
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
runutzzzzz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Haymarket Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2 View Post
Why would you spend (if you would) 2k for the carbon fiber roof?

If, it is the same look as on ZR1, from a few feet away could hardly tell!!

My last C6, I bought both roofs (transparent/painted) & really only used the transparent one!

Thinking about only get the transparent one this time!
Because you can?

The stock one is carbon, it's just painted.
runutzzzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Glenmcp
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Glenmcp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Central Gulf Coast Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runutzzzzz View Post
Because you can?

The stock one is carbon, it's just painted.
Which is why we buy a Vette and any of its options in the first place.
Glenmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
harley2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmcp View Post
Which is why we buy a Vette and any of its options in the first place.

That dosen't help me!

I buy options based on the value to me!

I also, know the painted one os CF!!

Just curious about those that would pay 2k for them not to paint it!

I don't see where it changes the look that much!?
harley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
-CM-
CF Senior Member
 
-CM-'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: . Wyoming .
Default

It's a cosmetic choice, like chrome wheels vs. black. If you like the look and are OK with the price, get it. I think the body-colored top looks better on the darker colors. The CF roof might look good on AW, VY, or TR if you're going for a more aggressive look.
-CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Dominic Toretto
CF Senior Member
 
Dominic Toretto's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: 972 and 405
Send a message via MSN to Dominic Toretto
Default

If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it. Plain and simple. It's your money, spend it as you wish. Other people enjoy seeing the exposed carbon material. Looks more exotic.

I do see your point in that it is dumb to pay extra for them NOT to paint it. That is pretty silly lol. The way the roof lines are designed on this car, I would go for the painted as the exposed carbon would "break" the lines of the roof imo. Go for what you want and enjoy your C7.

-Alex
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
lt4obsesses
CF Senior Member
 
lt4obsesses's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: H-Town Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it. Plain and simple. It's your money, spend it as you wish. Other people enjoy seeing the exposed carbon material. Looks more exotic.

I do see your point in that it is dumb to pay extra for them NOT to paint it. That is pretty silly lol. The way the roof lines are designed on this car, I would go for the painted as the exposed carbon would "break" the lines of the roof imo. Go for what you want and enjoy your C7.

-Alex
There was a similar thread not too long ago about this very topic. In case anyone is questioning the additional $2K to "not paint" the CF roof, it is because of the special clear coat additive neccessary to protect the CF from UV rays...$60,000.00 per gallon.

If someone likes the raw Carbon Fiber look, I don't think it's any more silly than spending $2K on wheels, or trim, or anything else.

Edit...not ensinuating that wheels are silly either. It's your car, make it like you want it. "If you spend your life trying to make everyone else happy, you never will be."

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 05-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
lt4obsesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Snorman
Deal with it.
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it. Plain and simple. It's your money, spend it as you wish. Other people enjoy seeing the exposed carbon material. Looks more exotic.

I do see your point in that it is dumb to pay extra for them NOT to paint it. That is pretty silly lol. The way the roof lines are designed on this car, I would go for the painted as the exposed carbon would "break" the lines of the roof imo. Go for what you want and enjoy your C7.

-Alex
lol...this, this and this.
Not sure why people seem to think their opinion is somehow fact and/or more valid than the opinions of others.

FWIW...I'm getting the painted roof on my CRM coupe.
S.
__________________
'14 Corvette, crystal red tintcoat, Z51...'14 991 911 Turbo, dark blue metallic...'13 GT-R, blue pearl Premium...'13 GT500, solid black...'03 Cobra, 3.4 Whipple, TH400...'91 LX, single turbo 'notch...'10 SHO, cinnamon red, Livernois tuned...
Snorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor
 
Vetteman Jack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Jefferson City, MO Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it. Plain and simple. It's your money, spend it as you wish. Other people enjoy seeing the exposed carbon material. Looks more exotic.
I agree. While I may not want a certain option on a car I buy, I won't complain because someone else does. It's not my money they are spending.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
harley2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
I agree. While I may not want a certain option on a car I buy, I won't complain because someone else does. It's not my money they are spending.

Of course it's my $$ & my car!

Having only looked at one roof briefly awhile back, just really didn't
remember how it looked,as it was Not an option I could get in 08!

The car I've sent to my dealer has an MSRP just over 72K, another 2K is not the problem! just was trying to get opinions of others that may have seen CF roof or has one!!
harley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Chance575
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Default

not to mention the exposed carbon pieces have to be flawless, the painted ones can look like crap underneath
Chance575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Glenmcp
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Glenmcp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Central Gulf Coast Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2 View Post
That dosen't help me!

I buy options based on the value to me!

I also, know the painted one os CF!!

Just curious about those that would pay 2k for them not to paint it!

I don't see where it changes the look that much!?
It is personal choice. If you like the look and believe it is worth the prices you buy it. Some like an option but are not willing to pay a given price. I do not buy the those roofs, but that is just me.
Glenmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Dominic Toretto
CF Senior Member
 
Dominic Toretto's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: 972 and 405
Send a message via MSN to Dominic Toretto
Default

Harley, why are you typing with so many exclamation marks? Not sure if this is a really touchy subject for you but, it comes off that way. Just sayin.

lt4obsesses, I am very intrigued to see where it costs $60,000 per gallon for a clear coat for carbon fiber. I've purchased the material (carbon fiber) for other cars and it seems as though the price of the parts would be WAY more than what places are charging. Not saying you are wrong in anyway but that just seems very unrealistic considering how much I have paid for cf parts.

-Alex
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
harley2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Harley, why are you typing with so many exclamation marks? Not sure if this is a really touchy subject for you but, it comes off that way. Just sayin.

lt4obsesses, I am very intrigued to see where it costs $60,000 per gallon for a clear coat for carbon fiber. I've purchased the material (carbon fiber) for other cars and it seems as though the price of the parts would be WAY more than what places are charging. Not saying you are wrong in anyway but that just seems very unrealistic considering how much I have paid for cf parts.

-Alex
Sorry, not a touchy subject at all!!

I use alot of exclamation marks on Ebay, sorry just a carry over!! LMAO
harley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Dominic Toretto
CF Senior Member
 
Dominic Toretto's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: 972 and 405
Send a message via MSN to Dominic Toretto
Default

No worries, just making sure we weren't peeing in your cereal this morning

-Alex
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
CitationZ06@yahoo
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

You are paying the extra 2K for the UV protected clear coat that will keep the CF from becoming brittle. The CF clear coat is very very high tech stuff.
CitationZ06@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Hot Rod Todd
CF Senior Member
 
Hot Rod Todd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa
Default

Be careful about getting the transparent roof only option, the roof line will look kind of wierd without the continuation of body color up the side. The C6 had the halo that gave a decent look with the entire roof dark, the C7 will look a bit chopped off.

I saw a photo of a car spotted in Arizona with the roof all dark, and I didn't like the look at all. It explains why GM put color on the sides of the Clearcoated carbon fiber roof.
Hot Rod Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Bat7Man
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bat7Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Lake Worth Florida
Default

Maybe it is simple - someone wants it. I am getting AW - I want the black roof to go with my black wheels.
Bat7Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
harley2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd View Post
Be careful about getting the transparent roof only option, the roof line will look kind of wierd without the continuation of body color up the side. The C6 had the halo that gave a decent look with the entire roof dark, the C7 will look a bit chopped off.

I saw a photo of a car spotted in Arizona with the roof all dark, and I didn't like the look at all. It explains why GM put color on the sides of the Clearcoated carbon fiber roof.

Thanks, this is more what I'm looking for. Not why it cost what it does.

When I looked at one awhile back, I really didn't pay attention, as there was no option to get it on 08 Cpe.

Don't see anyone saying they plan on getting it?
harley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
Hot Rod Todd
CF Senior Member
 
Hot Rod Todd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa
Default

On another thread someone was even mentioning that they might look into getting color matched vinyl to add to the edges of the transparent roof to make it look better.

I like the look of the visible carbon fiber, but for $2000 I can live without it and spend the money on other options that make the car go faster!
Hot Rod Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page Carbon fiber roof option!!??
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying painted carbon fiber roof from GM ? Waytofastvette2006 C7 General Discussion 3 06-21-2014 01:58 AM
Transparent roof cost 14 Red Z51 Vette C7 General Discussion 23 02-16-2014 10:53 PM
HELP! Buy my C7 now or wait for constraint to come off of Dual Roof Order Option? lucative C7 General Discussion 24 10-27-2013 01:42 PM
Transparent Smoked Roof? drtonyprimo C7 General Discussion 19 07-01-2013 10:07 AM
Transparent Roof Body Colored Along The Edges? MHFontaine C7 General Discussion 9 05-04-2013 08:28 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Emails & Password Backup