C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tranny will you have in your C7? Auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Then I guess I won't be buying new vehicles when that day comes. 3 of my 4 vehicles are stick shift, the fourth being my 4x4 truck that's my tow vehicle. My Corvette is a 6spd, My Miata is a 5spd, and my Jeep is a 5spd. And my C7 when I buy a new one in 2-3 years, will be a 7spd.

I don't do automatics.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Then I guess I won't be buying new vehicles when that day comes. 3 of my 4 vehicles are stick shift, the fourth being my 4x4 truck that's my tow vehicle. My Corvette is a 6spd, My Miata is a 5spd, and my Jeep is a 5spd. And my C7 when I buy a new one in 2-3 years, will be a 7spd.

I don't do automatics.
Nor do I. But I don't consider a robotized box or a DCT an "automatic". The Ferrari Scuderia robot box is one of my all time favorites. Calling this an "automatic" is like calling the Mona Lisa just a "picture".

Try a good one. You may be missing something. Never say "never".
Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sin City
Nor do I. But I don't consider a robotized box or a DCT an "automatic".

I have to have that 3rd pedal. The whole dance is what I live for. For me, it's part of what makes this car hobby of mine, so enjoyable. Whether it's in a 140hp miata, or an 800hp corvette.

And yes I can say never, because I know myself better than anyone else. And I am firm in my convictions and ideals.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I have to have that 3rd pedal. The whole dance is what I live for. For me, it's part of what makes this car hobby of mine, so enjoyable. Whether it's in a 140hp miata, or an 800hp corvette.

And yes I can say never, because I know myself better than anyone else. And I am firm in my convictions and ideals.
Which is why you still make calls with this?
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Guess he thinks his legs will last forever!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Sorry but a phone is simply a tool for me to communicate with friends and family. It isn't a hobby, it isn't a passion. My cars are my hobbies. They are my passion. I don't have cable or satellite tv. Most of my internet time is spent on car forums learning more about my cars and hobbies.

My favorite cars were from the 60's. My favorite airplanes were from the 40's(like my dad's 1946 J3 Cub).

Not everyone is the same in what they like and what they do.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Very true. And, I would not say you are wrong. I only ask you to use an open mind to something new.

There is more to life than Vanilla ice cream.

I like manuals. I also like a good DCT or robotized box for what they bring.

I like blondes and brunettes also. Each have their advantages/disadvantages.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Very true. And, I would not say you are wrong. I only ask you to use an open mind to something new.

There is more to life than Vanilla ice cream.

I like manuals. I also like a good DCT or robotized box for what they bring.

I like blondes and brunettes also. Each have their advantages/disadvantages.
I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food. As my boss explains, I have very plain taste. It's just part of my personality. I don't care for exotic stuff. I find what works, what I like, and I stay with it. That's just who I am. It's in the food I eat, it's in the clothes I wear, it's in my cars, it's in my thinking, it's just me.

Just examples. When I go out for Mexican food, I get cheese enchiladas with rice and beans. 100% of the time. The 3 times in my life I tried something different, I didn't care for it. Chinese food. 90% of the time I order something that has rice and orange chicken. I don't typically get any vegetables or onions(I don't like onions). Hamburger places. I typically get your usual cheeseburgers, possibly with bacon or different cheeses. Subway, I get wheat bread, and some variations of turkey/ham with swiss cheese and black olives. Nothing crazy beyond the black olives. I'm very, very boring. And I'm fine with that. I don't think less of everyone else around me who try everything and like everything. It just isn't me. I have actually changed very little in my likes and dislikes over the past several decades. I find what I like, and I stick with it. Very rarely do I end up liking anything outside of my zone.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 05-11-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Manual because no DCT is offered. If a DCT were offered I might still go 7MT but it would be more difficult to choose.

A manual is fun and more engaging, the DCT is the best performance option. A DCT is also more fun and engaging than people give it credit (especially folks who are die hard MT guys).
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

The only C7 I'll be inclined to buy is a Z or ZR model with an A8 tranny.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Snakiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Seriously? You'd base a transmission choice on a tenth or two difference in zero to sixty? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Corvettes are about performance, not what transmission they have. I've driven several cars with paddle shifters and I love 'em. So yep, whatever's faster is what I'm interested in. To me, it makes no sense to think performance doesn't count with a Vette.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakiller
Corvettes are about performance, not what transmission they have. I've driven several cars with paddle shifters and I love 'em. So yep, whatever's faster is what I'm interested in. To me, it makes no sense to think performance doesn't count with a Vette.
Whatever rings your bell. To me, there's MUCH more to performance and the driving experience than whether a car goes from zero to sixty in 3.8 seconds or 3.9. YMMV.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

auto matic
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Because of the acceleration, cornering and braking capabilities of a modern Corvette I believe they are a blast to drive no matter what the tranny.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manual.

It's a fun car. Only manuals are fun, IMHO.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

When i get one in a few years, Itll forsure be a Manual. I will never own an automatic fun car. I drive an automatic daily beater just so i can look forward to hopping in my performance car and row through the gears. Nothing is more boring than driving around in a automatic performance car. Most of the fun comes with the interaction between the driver and car. Pressing little paddles on the steering wheel doesnt do it for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Nor do I. But I don't consider a robotized box or a DCT an "automatic". The Ferrari Scuderia robot box is one of my all time favorites. Calling this an "automatic" is like calling the Mona Lisa just a "picture".

No it's not. A DCT is still an automatic, and boring as h#ll to drive. And, yes, I've driven a good DCT. A DCT is a good automatic, that's it. Anyone down at the retirement home could drive one, no problem.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 05-11-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What tranny will you have in your C7? Auto or manual?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
No it's not. A DCT is still an automatic, and boring as h#ll to drive. And, yes, I've driven a good DCT. A DCT is a good automatic, that's it. Anyone down at the retirement home could drive one, no problem.

Michael
You are not accelerating, braking or cornering your Corvette like a Corvette. If you were you would not say what you just said.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine will be a manual...all the way...wouldn't have it any other way. With active rev-matching, I fear my heel-toe might get rustier though.

Besides, my wife prefers a manual and she is at least 40% of the reason I'm buying this car. She loves it.

(BTW: we are both almost 60 years old)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exotic cars that don't offer manual anymore:

Lamborghini Aventador
Ferrari (all)
McLaren (all)
Pagani
Merc Gullwing
Nissan GT-r
Toyota LF-A
Alfa Romeo 8C and 4C

now the Porsche GT3
In a recent interview, Andreas Preuninger (the man behind the 991 GT3) said the following...

"[The PDK] System is fun, fun, fun AND faster and a lot different to 991; another galaxy to 997 PDK. Parking in tight spots and getting out of garages etc. might be easier with a clutch that can be modulated, that’s true. But parking and getting out of garages is not the main development target on a GT car. When a huge part of our customers still insist on a manual we will not ignore this. But, a manual will be not only slower in acceleration but the car will also be less capable in cornering because we cannot combine the electronic e-diff with a manual, because there’s no hydraulic pump in the manual to feed the e-diff. Positive influence of e-diff is significant on turn in, under steer (none at all) and brake stability.

Quick Reply: What tranny will you have in your C7? Auto or manual?