Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A hypothetical

Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A hypothetical

I think it easy a fair statement that to many the C2 is the most attractive design ever put on a Corvette. This thread is not to debate that though, it is simply to ask if the new C7 had all its modern tech, chassis, suspension, interior etc. in what would be a modernized C2 body to meet safety standards how many would be even more enthused about the new car. If you think about it GM kind of did exactly that with the Camaro and it has been a huge success as has the Mustang since it went retro. Does anyone think a retro Corvette would sell or is it more about keeping up with the Joneses as far as design goes?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No, I would not.

And, not to argue the point, but no, the C2 is not the undisputed design of all time, and I owned (and loved) one.

Everything changes, and evolves. There is a time for everything. That was then.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I think the retro thing has been played out. I don't believe it would sell as well nor would it attract new buyers. It would perpetuate the same issues GM would have going forward with the Corvette brand if it didn't modernize.

If you look at the next Mustang (or early projections) it is also going the modern route as it is hard to live in the past and also move forward. That isn't to say the C2 wasn't a great design and beautiful but it would largely be the traditional/old school buyer and that group isn't getting bigger. You aren't taking people who are currently in European brands into the Corvette fold with a C2 design today... the only people who would love that idea are those who grew up with the Corvette and like the style from that era.

It was a nice design for the time but the times have changed... as has the market. Living in the past and not evolving quickly enough is half the problem the North American auto manufacturers had in the last decade. You can't compete by staying in the past... that has been pretty much proven.

All just my opinion... obviously.

Last edited by gthal; 05-12-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I think it easy a fair statement that to many the C2 is the most attractive design ever put on a Corvette. This thread is not to debate that though, it is simply to ask if the new C7 had all its modern tech, chassis, suspension, interior etc. in what would be a modernized C2 body to meet safety standards how many would be even more enthused about the new car. If you think about it GM kind of did exactly that with the Camaro and it has been a huge success as has the Mustang since it went retro. Does anyone think a retro Corvette would sell or is it more about keeping up with the Joneses as far as design goes?
Big Dan, I don't think that those are the only two explanations. Just because the Corvette style has changed in some regards does not mean it is to keep up with the Jones. It could just be another example of the natural evolution of design in a product offered at retail sale. If there had been an internet back in 1956, I wonder what the Chevy sedan/coupe faithful would have said about the impending 1957 fins?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AORoads
No, I would not.

And, not to argue the point, but no, the C2 is not the undisputed design of all time, and I owned (and loved) one.

Everything changes, and evolves. There is a time for everything. That was then.
Just curious, what in your opinion is the best design?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM
vankenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the interior, I would say the C6 Z06 is the nicest corvette to date.. besides the C7 of course. The C7 have some issues.... LOL
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Big Dan, I don't think that those are the only two explanations. Just because the Corvette style has changed in some regards does not mean it is to keep up with the Jones. It could just be another example of the natural evolution of design in a product offered at retail sale. If there had been an internet back in 1956, I wonder what the Chevy sedan/coupe faithful would have said about the impending 1957 fins?
Good one...internet in the 50's. If there was I'd be very afraid of the world we would be living in now, just like I'll be very afraid for those 60 years from now!

I agree with you about evolution, I guess I should have stated that the C2 is so loved by most I couldn't imagine it not being a home run with all modern components.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hate to break it to you but the C2 never did anything to me. Looked too much like the Merc Gullwing.

And... I HATE the retro thing. Leave the classics alone and start a new classic design. Designing retro cars is like saying you've officially run out of ideas.

If you really want a modern C2, make a retro-rod with all new stuff underneath. Personally, I think Chip Foose is a BUTCHER but if that's your thing, go for it.

Last edited by Sin City; 05-12-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Just curious, what in your opinion is the best design?
Best is the C7, then C6 widebody, then C3... not that you asked my opinion

I'm not a traditionalist and prefer modern design which biases my opinion. Ferrari is another example, the 458 is the most beautiful car they ever produced IMO and it is the most recent. Others may/will disagree.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Retro is not the way to go for the Vette. GM did the right thing with the C7.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

In response to your question, I honestly don't have a thought one way or another on how a retro C2-designed C7 would sell. It certainly could have been done, given the very similar dimensions of the two cars. Having said that, I give Tadge and his design team a lot of credit for not going down that path. The C7 is a knockout on its own merits that still does an admirable job of paying homage to its predecessors.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sin City
Hate to break it to you but the C2 never did anything to me.
The C2 never did anything TO me either!

Originally Posted by gthal

I'm not a traditionalist and prefer modern design which biases my opinion. Ferrari is another example, the 458 is the most beautiful car they ever produced IMO and it is the most recent. Others may/will disagree.
It's okay, opinions welcome! Wow a 458 huh, with that stable to choose from I don't think that would be my choice which is exactly why we all have our own taste.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It had been talked about. Lot's of retro out there and the designers and engineers didn't want to just do a retro like with Camaro and what Dodge did with the Challenger. They wanted the Corvette moving forward.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Retro is not the way to go for the Vette. GM did the right thing with the C7.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

C2 is a horror story in the aero dept and would lose every race it ever entered. Wonder how that C2 body design does at 200mph vs the competition...hmmm? You aren't going to compete in market of modern supercars with an old hoopty.

The retro movement was a mistake as is, but everyone was doing it, so for a period of time, it worked. The people with money to spend wanted that...so they got it. The market has changed...we all know what happened in the 60's, now those of use who weren't alive then got to watch those guys relive their high school days by buying new versions.....can we all move on now? How about we do something....NEW...scary word...NEW!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

playing nicely.
well done.

c2 is soo hot.

i would buy one someday if it had modern options.. Hell yea. better gass, electronics, safety. speed. I would deffinitly check it out.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

My favorite Corvette is the 1970 big block C3. No accounting for taste..Every Corvette is beautiful and stands on its own merit.

Get notified of new replies

To A hypothetical

Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RC000E
C2 is a horror story in the aero dept and would lose every race it ever entered. Wonder how that C2 body design does at 200mph vs the competition...hmmm? You aren't going to compete in market of modern supercars with an old hoopty.

The retro movement was a mistake as is, but everyone was doing it, so for a period of time, it worked. The people with money to spend wanted that...so they got it. The market has changed...we all know what happened in the 60's, now those of use who weren't alive then got to watch those guys relive their high school days by buying new versions.....can we all move on now? How about we do something....NEW...scary word...NEW!
I gather you are quite accomplished from reading your posts and insightful opinions so let me ask you, how did they do it with a very heavy block shaped new Camaro? That ZL1 is a monster that is not exactly a aero specimen and it is heavy. Thoughts?

Oh and just a side note, the Ford GT was an amazingly successful redo of the GT40 and it came in well above 150k, they are now only 6-7 years after build being stopped bringing over 200k.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal

Wow, didnt see that one coming!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

No retro. But, I can see evolution when comparing early C3s with the C7. I think the moniker Stingray was a natural for the C7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A hypothetical