Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member

Default A hypothetical

I think it easy a fair statement that to many the C2 is the most attractive design ever put on a Corvette. This thread is not to debate that though, it is simply to ask if the new C7 had all its modern tech, chassis, suspension, interior etc. in what would be a modernized C2 body to meet safety standards how many would be even more enthused about the new car. If you think about it GM kind of did exactly that with the Camaro and it has been a huge success as has the Mustang since it went retro. Does anyone think a retro Corvette would sell or is it more about keeping up with the Joneses as far as design goes?
Big Dan 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
AORoads
CF Senior Member

No, I would not.

And, not to argue the point, but no, the C2 is not the undisputed design of all time, and I owned (and loved) one.

Everything changes, and evolves. There is a time for everything. That was then.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the retro thing has been played out. I don't believe it would sell as well nor would it attract new buyers. It would perpetuate the same issues GM would have going forward with the Corvette brand if it didn't modernize.

If you look at the next Mustang (or early projections) it is also going the modern route as it is hard to live in the past and also move forward. That isn't to say the C2 wasn't a great design and beautiful but it would largely be the traditional/old school buyer and that group isn't getting bigger. You aren't taking people who are currently in European brands into the Corvette fold with a C2 design today... the only people who would love that idea are those who grew up with the Corvette and like the style from that era.

It was a nice design for the time but the times have changed... as has the market. Living in the past and not evolving quickly enough is half the problem the North American auto manufacturers had in the last decade. You can't compete by staying in the past... that has been pretty much proven.

All just my opinion... obviously.

Last edited by gthal; 05-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
rcallen484
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 View Post
I think it easy a fair statement that to many the C2 is the most attractive design ever put on a Corvette. This thread is not to debate that though, it is simply to ask if the new C7 had all its modern tech, chassis, suspension, interior etc. in what would be a modernized C2 body to meet safety standards how many would be even more enthused about the new car. If you think about it GM kind of did exactly that with the Camaro and it has been a huge success as has the Mustang since it went retro. Does anyone think a retro Corvette would sell or is it more about keeping up with the Joneses as far as design goes?
Big Dan, I don't think that those are the only two explanations. Just because the Corvette style has changed in some regards does not mean it is to keep up with the Jones. It could just be another example of the natural evolution of design in a product offered at retail sale. If there had been an internet back in 1956, I wonder what the Chevy sedan/coupe faithful would have said about the impending 1957 fins?
rcallen484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
No, I would not.

And, not to argue the point, but no, the C2 is not the undisputed design of all time, and I owned (and loved) one.

Everything changes, and evolves. There is a time for everything. That was then.
Just curious, what in your opinion is the best design?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
vankenn
CF Senior Member

Besides the interior, I would say the C6 Z06 is the nicest corvette to date.. besides the C7 of course. The C7 have some issues.... LOL
vankenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcallen484 View Post
Big Dan, I don't think that those are the only two explanations. Just because the Corvette style has changed in some regards does not mean it is to keep up with the Jones. It could just be another example of the natural evolution of design in a product offered at retail sale. If there had been an internet back in 1956, I wonder what the Chevy sedan/coupe faithful would have said about the impending 1957 fins?
Good one...internet in the 50's. If there was I'd be very afraid of the world we would be living in now, just like I'll be very afraid for those 60 years from now!

I agree with you about evolution, I guess I should have stated that the C2 is so loved by most I couldn't imagine it not being a home run with all modern components.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Sin City
CF Senior Member

Hate to break it to you but the C2 never did anything to me. Looked too much like the Merc Gullwing.

And... I HATE the retro thing. Leave the classics alone and start a new classic design. Designing retro cars is like saying you've officially run out of ideas.

If you really want a modern C2, make a retro-rod with all new stuff underneath. Personally, I think Chip Foose is a BUTCHER but if that's your thing, go for it.

Last edited by Sin City; 05-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Sin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Just curious, what in your opinion is the best design?
Best is the C7, then C6 widebody, then C3... not that you asked my opinion

I'm not a traditionalist and prefer modern design which biases my opinion. Ferrari is another example, the 458 is the most beautiful car they ever produced IMO and it is the most recent. Others may/will disagree.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
millpond
CF Senior Member

Retro is not the way to go for the Vette. GM did the right thing with the C7.
millpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
mpuzach
CF Senior Member

In response to your question, I honestly don't have a thought one way or another on how a retro C2-designed C7 would sell. It certainly could have been done, given the very similar dimensions of the two cars. Having said that, I give Tadge and his design team a lot of credit for not going down that path. The C7 is a knockout on its own merits that still does an admirable job of paying homage to its predecessors.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
Hate to break it to you but the C2 never did anything to me.
The C2 never did anything TO me either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

I'm not a traditionalist and prefer modern design which biases my opinion. Ferrari is another example, the 458 is the most beautiful car they ever produced IMO and it is the most recent. Others may/will disagree.
It's okay, opinions welcome! Wow a 458 huh, with that stable to choose from I don't think that would be my choice which is exactly why we all have our own taste.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
talon90
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
It had been talked about. Lot's of retro out there and the designers and engineers didn't want to just do a retro like with Camaro and what Dodge did with the Challenger. They wanted the Corvette moving forward.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpond View Post
Retro is not the way to go for the Vette. GM did the right thing with the C7.
R&L's C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
RC000E
CF Senior Member

C2 is a horror story in the aero dept and would lose every race it ever entered. Wonder how that C2 body design does at 200mph vs the competition...hmmm? You aren't going to compete in market of modern supercars with an old hoopty.

The retro movement was a mistake as is, but everyone was doing it, so for a period of time, it worked. The people with money to spend wanted that...so they got it. The market has changed...we all know what happened in the 60's, now those of use who weren't alive then got to watch those guys relive their high school days by buying new versions.....can we all move on now? How about we do something....NEW...scary word...NEW!
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
CJJ
CF Senior Member

playing nicely.
well done.

c2 is soo hot.

i would buy one someday if it had modern options.. Hell yea. better gass, electronics, safety. speed. I would deffinitly check it out.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Bill17601
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My favorite Corvette is the 1970 big block C3. No accounting for taste..Every Corvette is beautiful and stands on its own merit.
Bill17601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
C2 is a horror story in the aero dept and would lose every race it ever entered. Wonder how that C2 body design does at 200mph vs the competition...hmmm? You aren't going to compete in market of modern supercars with an old hoopty.

The retro movement was a mistake as is, but everyone was doing it, so for a period of time, it worked. The people with money to spend wanted that...so they got it. The market has changed...we all know what happened in the 60's, now those of use who weren't alive then got to watch those guys relive their high school days by buying new versions.....can we all move on now? How about we do something....NEW...scary word...NEW!
I gather you are quite accomplished from reading your posts and insightful opinions so let me ask you, how did they do it with a very heavy block shaped new Camaro? That ZL1 is a monster that is not exactly a aero specimen and it is heavy. Thoughts?

Oh and just a side note, the Ford GT was an amazingly successful redo of the GT40 and it came in well above 150k, they are now only 6-7 years after build being stopped bringing over 200k.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
sam90lx
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

Wow, didnt see that one coming!
sam90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
89L98
CF Senior Member

No retro. But, I can see evolution when comparing early C3s with the C7. I think the moniker Stingray was a natural for the C7.
89L98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page A hypothetical