C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is the new front end design influenced by Euro pedestrian crash laws?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
So with the new design I wonder if any testing was done to see if this increases the danger to occupants associated with hitting animals?
Excellent point... instead of being flung up and over the car, now the deer will be collected in the center and cushioned by your hood so it can have a better chance of being alive when it crashes through your windshield and then proceeds to kick you to death... hooves are sharp. But what would silly nanny-state European legislators know about deer?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Hmmm. The redesigned S-class Mercedes for 2014 certainly has one. I suspect it may be more a matter of having a hood ornament that breaks very easily if much pressure is applied, so it can't effectively "stab" someone.
Interesting..The S-class is the only one showing a hood ornament.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's possible the S-Class's hood ornament has a spring-loaded mechanism, designed to fall against the force of a falling body. Bentley has it, and has experienced a recall as the mechanism can corrode and fail to work as designed.
http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/09/...hood-ornament/
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I love my C5 Z06 Pop up lights !
Its a great "clean" look in the day time.
I could care less about drag coefficients when they are up.
I'm not a race car driver.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought you were going to say something about tunnel vision. Talk about FANGS.........

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
So with the new design I wonder if any testing was done to see if this increases the danger to occupants associated with hitting animals?
Originally Posted by travisnd
Excellent point... instead of being flung up and over the car, now the deer will be collected in the center and cushioned by your hood so it can have a better chance of being alive when it crashes through your windshield and then proceeds to kick you to death... hooves are sharp. But what would silly nanny-state European legislators know about deer?
I prefer non popup headlights, but they did save me in my '94.

I hit a deer at about 65 mph. It was night and when the deer came over the front he hit the popups and they launched him over the roof. If it were not for the popups he would have come right through the windshield (although dead or alive wouldn't have mattered much).
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by QCVette
I prefer non popup headlights, but they did save me in my '94.

I hit a deer at about 65 mph. It was night and when the deer came over the front he hit the popups and they launched him over the roof. If it were not for the popups he would have come right through the windshield (although dead or alive wouldn't have mattered much).
Wait.... IDEA
A section of the hood with something like an air bag underneath it that explosively tilts up to launch the deer into the next county in such a situation.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

This thread is rapidly descending into madness, but I like it!... and my C5 pop-ups.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
This thread is rapidly descending into madness, but I like it!... and my C5 pop-ups.
Headlights?????? What headlights? And who the heck drives their ‘Vette at night anyway!?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Many, many, many powerful cars over as many years have had hood bulges to accommodate a powerful engine. Within reason (and this qualifies in my opinion) I like that look. But that is purely a matter of personal preference.

Imho, a hood/power bulge is a good thing. One of the better styling features of the C7.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
Interesting..The S-class is the only one showing a hood ornament.
2014 E class does as well (non sport models).

I really don't get what the big deal would be with having it. Mine is spring loaded on my E class and gives way easily if you apply much pressure to it. Now the big Flying Lady on a Rolls...that looks like a problem as big as it is.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
2014 E class does as well (non sport models).

I really don't get what the big deal would be with having it. Mine is spring loaded on my E class and gives way easily if you apply much pressure to it. Now the big Flying Lady on a Rolls...that looks like a problem as big as it is.
I think I saw on a Rolls or Bentley, on some model, where the hood ornament lowers out of sight, with a cover, to prevent theft when car is off.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
rdwiv
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque

The stockers aren't the best for lighting and the gears need replacing...BUT....I LOVE the look when they are down and there's always the upgraded aftermarket projector HIDs. Night driving with the top down is awesome....
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Easiest way to get around this would be to just not sell the car in Europe. It's not like it is a massive market for the Corvette, and if their laws are detracting from the US car, then the decision to sell it there is harming their important market.

Ultimately though, nobody will decide to not buy it because of this sort of a change, so it's rather a moot point. It's only going to get worse and people are still going to buy them and complain about it, so GM is going to not give a rat's *** about it. A paying customer with quibbles about the design is still a paying customer.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

couldn't agree more Toque! and as for GM saying that they couldn't fit HID lights in the popups then what are these? http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...it_p_5530.html
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Headlights?????? What headlights? And who the heck drives their ‘Vette at night anyway!?
Night time is my favorite time to go cruising !

Originally Posted by rdwiv

The stockers aren't the best for lighting and the gears need replacing...BUT....I LOVE the look when they are down and there's always the upgraded aftermarket projector HIDs. Night driving with the top down is awesome....
Exactly !!!

Originally Posted by wolf10851
couldn't agree more Toque! and as for GM saying that they couldn't fit HID lights in the popups then what are these? http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...it_p_5530.html
Yea its easy to just pop in HID's into the stock housings. That's not really the right way to do it though. The stock housings are not designed for a light as bright as the HID bulb.

I got a ACA HID projector housing, then removed the original projector and retrofitted a Morimito FXR Bi-Xenon projector in there instead.

High and Low beam from the same 55W HID bulb. Operates exactly like it was factory installed.

My lighting is way better than a C6, and in the day time my lights are hidden for a "clean" look.

Toque
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Some of these govt. rules are screwing up the looks of some cars.

Like some of the front ends on the newer mercedes and bmw's have that "chopped off nose" look...

I just hope they dont end up letting other countries screw up the look of american cars.

Last edited by jr3; 05-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much is the new front end design influenced by Euro pedestrian crash laws?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My point is that even if the Corvette was never raced, and every single person that wanted to purchase a Corvette to drive on the street said they would not if it didn't have pop up headlights, the headlights still would have been gone on the 2005. They were regulated out, not designed out. Do you think all those other cars that were being built during the C5 era that had pop up headlights, also got rid of them so they could go racing in ALMS?
Man, you gotta love this place....a pop up headlight discussion. Whatever the reason, pop ups were doomed by the market, if nothing else. The C5 came out in 1997, I cannot think of ANY cars that had pop ups at that point, if there were any, they were gone LONG before the C5 breathed it's last in 2004. Plenty of cars that HAD pop ups originally, changed over (during the same generation) to fixed lamps (Acura NSX, Lamborghini Diablo, Dodge Stealth/Mitubishi 3000 just to name a few examples) Pop ups went out of fashion, period. We can talk about Euro regs/race team/reliability/whatever, what competion was doing had just as much (or more) effect.

Jimmy
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 AM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea its easy to just pop in HID's into the stock housings. That's not really the right way to do it though. The stock housings are not designed for a light as bright as the HID bulb.

I got a ACA HID projector housing, then removed the original projector and retrofitted a Morimito FXR Bi-Xenon projector in there instead.

High and Low beam from the same 55W HID bulb. Operates exactly like it was factory installed.

My lighting is way better than a C6, and in the day time my lights are hidden for a "clean" look.

Toque
my only point with that link is that it IS possible to put the HIDs into a pop up light as some here have said that Chevy couldn't have done it because there isn't room and still have the lights be pop ups
Originally Posted by jimmyb
Man, you gotta love this place....a pop up headlight discussion. Whatever the reason, pop ups were doomed by the market, if nothing else. The C5 came out in 1997, I cannot think of ANY cars that had pop ups at that point, if there were any, they were gone LONG before the C5 breathed it's last in 2004. Plenty of cars that HAD pop ups originally, changed over (during the same generation) to fixed lamps (Acura NSX, Lamborghini Diablo, Dodge Stealth/Mitubishi 3000 just to name a few examples) Pop ups went out of fashion, period. We can talk about Euro regs/race team/reliability/whatever, what competion was doing had just as much (or more) effect.

Jimmy
honestly I don't care if they were doomed as you say by the market all I can say is that I think the car looks cleaner without the headlights being exposed. Back in the late 70's and early 80's the "market" said they wanted good mileage and no horsepower (4 cyl Camero, 180 hp Corvette) Glad we didn't listen to the market and keep those god awful underpowered cars

Last edited by wolf10851; 05-16-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Let's name this one Guibotch, just the way it sits

Quick Reply: How much is the new front end design influenced by Euro pedestrian crash laws?