C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsports
All I know is that if you stuff 2 guys my size in a Porsche, there isn't much room left for air. Corvette is way roomier inside. Without even getting into the capabilities of the 2 cars.
how big are you..I am 6'1" 240 and fit is same as the ZR1
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I read your post twice because I still don't know the purpose of it. So you are moving from the Porshce family to the Corvette family. I am sure there are many that have gone the other direction as well. These cars appeal to different people for different reasons. Its all good. Also remember that all sports cars will depreciate no matter if its a Porsche or a Corvette. And both these cars drop in value like a rock the minute you leave the dealership. But there is no dispute that the Porsche is a fine vehicle. From having several C6 Corvettes I can tell you one thing. The fit and finish with GM is nowhere near what I have encountered looking at the Porsche brand. I can only hope that GM picks up their quality when the C7 starts to show up at dealers. If they don't have the quality to back up all their engineering claims I don't think we will be lucky enough to see the C8.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JerriVette
When I see my neighbor who always gives me a wave ...with his beautiful 911 turbo who has a new turbo 911 on order as they become available....I always give his choice the proper respect he deserves..

More important than any car is to respect each sports car enthusiast choices...

The 911 turbo and non turbos rock although I prefer corvettes.....

Just different flavors of cool ...
This is well stated.

I think this thread is because the OP got caught up replying to the resident Porsche/Ferrari/European car-trolls in another thread. You know...the ones who are loathe to actually admit what they drive (because it's not "germaine" and they compare themselves to jet fighter engineers who rely on pilot input), completely dismiss the objective advantages that Corvette has over a number of Porsche models and completely dispute the subjective reasons that buyers have for choosing Corvette.

I'm still completely baffled why the mods lock threads mentioning taillights but let these trolls sh*t in threads with half-page, diatribes filled with cut & pastes in a clear attempt to discredit GM and Corvette. They both likely drive Camrys.
S.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I love Porsche too but that's not what interests me. By your avatar you are a DOD employee and this weekend I saw another DOD employee. You have 18 Porsches and he has a brand new McLaren... I'm sure you guys work hard but duuuuaaaahhhhmmm...what are they paying you guys?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chiromed0
Man, I love Porsche too but that's not what interests me. By your avatar you are a DOD employee and this weekend I saw another DOD employee. You have 18 Porsches and he has a brand new McLaren... I'm sure you guys work hard but duuuuaaaahhhhmmm...what are they paying you guys?

War booty.

Seriously, I keep seeing profiles like that.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

Where is guibotch and colorado???? lol
Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default Good Question Porsche has made their Mistakes over the years.

All sports car companies have had issues and I believe Porsche and Chevrolet are trying to take car of issues quickly Go to Rennlist and search for the IMS failures. I do much of my own maintenance and the
Porsche is a bit more expensive. At the Porsche Dealer it will cost you more

Porsche has a larger gross profit and handles many complaints well. but where does that leave you in 5 years. A friend has an 07 997 that the engine ( IMS shaft the dreaded issue) came apart with 45K on the clock being the third owner it received no help from Porsche at first (look a long time and $18K out of pocket to repair) with a small amount of help from Porsche

Porsche has had a medium- large scale failure in the 996 (99-04) and 997 (05-09) engines, they took care of some, but If you bought it second hand you basically had to buy a new motor at $20K. This effected Boxsters, and Carreras except for the Turbo and GT3 models (Different design) Boxsters, 996s and 997s are getting cheaper for that reason. Every 911 Model built from 1964-1998 that was air cooled has appreciated with some 64-73 911s doubling and tripling in the last years

Porsche has loyal customers, I am not going to drop 135K on a car that depreciates like they do. I buy used Porsches

Please understand that I still am a very good Porsche customer and I do not see myself getting rid of my all my Porsches anytime soon.

Someone asked me what I drive at the Ring, I drive a track prepared VW GOLF, Or sometimes a 996 thats track prepared, an 08 C-6. The guy who owns the golf is an instructor and a close friend. He keeps the car there and it is track prepared. I pay him for the time (even though he doesn't ask) I am not going to set any records but the adrenaline rush of that track is pretty amazing, same with Spa in Belgium. A Miata is a blast I am going to drive a Caterham in a few weeks and I am looking forward to the experience

I hope the Corvettes initial quality will be improved, I am waiting to judge until I have driven it. The convertible I saw in Geneva is a huge step up from the C-6 as far as appearance so we shall see

Both Brands are amongst the best, however GM has a different overall customer base, I know Porsche Mechanics that were Chevrolet wrenches and vice versa.

My point in this post was that an opened minded car person, can see that the Corvette is now a twisty road delight, and has actually become a serious Porsche alternative

I get tired of coming here and seeing the Trolling thats controlled at the
Porsche sight owned by Internet Brands

I think the Corvette Loyalists are a comparable bunch to those from Porsche.

THe technology put in these cars now is very tough to keep up with from a mechanics viewpoint. The new GM has been better than the Old GM imho and Porsche tries hard as well.

These are not an Accord, Corolla or VW Beetle ( original) and both cars are driven differently than the above.

Originally Posted by ck9887
OP:

Since you probably have more experience with Porsche than anyone I will ever know, I have to ask you a few questions. Hopefully I can put this in words that make some kind of sense. Here we go...

Corvette has many loyal customers and some that will be Vette owners for life. However, the question of build quality and lack of GM taking responsibility for some catastrophic failures that have left many with much out of pocket expenses has driven away people from Corvettes and GM in general. Vettes are a great bang for the buck sports car which more people can afford than most Porsches but GM has earned a reputation for sub par products with questionable reliability.

Now, we know that Porsche build quality is good. But how about in terms of reliability or maintenance? I have read up on some 911's and learned that some earlier models had complete engine failures with relatively low miles. Do Porsche owners just tend to be more wealthy to the point they can just take their losses and buy a new one or does Porsche usually step in a take responsibility when the car tends to have an engineering issue?

There just seems to be less pissed off Porsche owners out their compared with the Vette owners who swear to themselves they will never buy a GM product again.... What is the catalyst here?

I myself have owned several Corvettes which both had their share of issues but I do plan on owning another so I'm not trying to talk bad about Corvettes. I'm just interested in your point of view.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default I hope you are not judging me for where I work

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
War booty.

Seriously, I keep seeing profiles like that.
My cars were bought over a many year period and to Judge my avatar is unflattering. I bought many of the Cars when I owned my own company.
It is not war booty, as that is just wrong

I made the choice to do what I do and live where I live because I enjoy Cars and European driving. My choice ( does it count I owned a Smart car Diesel) for Government worker Poverty points ?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:38 AM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I spend a lot of time with friends with Porsches. They are very good cars, but also have their little problems, just like every other type of car.
The American and European philosophy of cars has long been different, for the most part. American cars have always put an emphasis on stoplight speeds, while German cars are more for high speed cruising. That does not mean one is better than the other. I do believe that since Porsche dealers here in the states are selling sports car primarily and Chevrolet dealers are as interested in selling pickups and economy cars makes the purchasing experience different also.
I don't believe you can go too wrong buying a Corvette or a Porsche!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default Very well put

At this time the American Corvette is closer to the Porsche 911 than at anytime in its history,and vice versa in quality of components, engineering and build

A Porsche and a Corvette Make mine Blue !

Originally Posted by mnmthoele
I spend a lot of time with friends with Porsches. They are very good cars, but also have their little problems, just like every other type of car.
The American and European philosophy of cars has long been different, for the most part. American cars have always put an emphasis on stoplight speeds, while German cars are more for high speed cruising. That does not mean one is better than the other. I do believe that since Porsche dealers here in the states are selling sports car primarily and Chevrolet dealers are as interested in selling pickups and economy cars makes the purchasing experience different also.

Last edited by Gmumd48; 05-18-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette

More important than any car is to respect each sports car enthusiast choices...
I salute a man of class.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

I have owned 39 different Porsche's including the one sitting in my garage (a one of a kind it only has about 30% of its original parts and spent one year apart being rebuilt to my needs) next to the Z06. I am getting old now and no longer drink the car kool aid (I owned multiple Ferrari's Maserati's and Lamborghini's as well) and I now think cars are just machines some better that others and NONE are perfect from the factory. I now tell people buy the least expensive car that gives you a thrill forget your ego. I bought my 07 Z06 used two years ago (the least I have spent for a car in 20 years) and it give me just as much of a thrill as the cars I owned costing 5 times as much. Lesson leaned in my case a very, very costly one!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Mechanic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut1
I have owned 39 different Porsche's including the one sitting in my garage (a one of a kind it only has about 30% of its original parts and spent one year apart being rebuilt to my needs) next to the Z06. I am getting old now and no longer drink the car kool aid (I owned multiple Ferrari's Maserati's and Lamborghini's as well) and I now think cars are just machines some better that others and NONE are perfect from the factory. I now tell people buy the least expensive car that gives you a thrill forget your ego. I bought my 07 Z06 used two years ago (the least I have spent for a car in 20 years) and it give me just as much of a thrill as the cars I owned costing 5 times as much. Lesson leaned in my case a very, very costly one!
With age comes wisdom: " . . . I now tell people '[B]uy the least expensive car that gives you a thrill . . . forget your ego' . . . ."
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

One thing that I can recall was back before I bought my first new Corvette I was at my dentist's office. I told him I was thinking about it and he said go for it & they're great cars and they're getting better all the time. By the way, my dentist not only owned Porsches he raced them and even picked up one in Germany on vacation. He was the same age as me and a bonified car nut too. The other positive comment was he advised me to join a club and that I'd make a ton of great friends who were car nuts. On all topics he was correct.
Most of the Porsche people I've met have been like me and most have shown class.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

People pay attention to fanboys? lol I have put few people on ignore here because I actually prefer to hear dissenting views, helps me learn and keeps my feet on the ground. The guys that have closed minds though, that cant see past their own agenda, those guys have nothing to offer and on ignore they go.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut1
I have always like Porsche's but the Corvette offers very similar performance at substantially lower cost. If I had an unlimited budget I would have both.

One real car guy that I have always respected is Jay Leno. He can buy any car he wants and usually does. He often puts Porsche and Corvette in the same sentence as performance cars that you can drive the heck out of and they will take it.

I am looking forward to driving a C7.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
My cars were bought over a many year period and to Judge my avatar is unflattering. I bought many of the Cars when I owned my own company.
It is not war booty, as that is just wrong

I made the choice to do what I do and live where I live because I enjoy Cars and European driving. My choice ( does it count I owned a Smart car Diesel) for Government worker Poverty points ?
Anyone with money can spend their life in Europe without having to work for the man. Don't be so modest. You can say that you decided to serve. More points to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmthoele
Give Americans a long stretch like the Autobahn and the emphasis will change here.

I just don't think drivers here in the states can handle a road like that. We have WAY too many stupid drives and WAY to many drivers that don't pay attention to what is going on around them. The Autobahn also requires "lane courtesy" which most Americans don't understand.

I've driven ALL over the states and Los Angeles is by far the worst.

It would be cool to construct a "pay-to-play" road like the Autobahn that would require drivers to pay a monthly subscription to use it. AND they would have to certify that they're maintaining their cars.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 PM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
All sports car companies have had issues and I believe Porsche and Chevrolet are trying to take car of issues quickly Go to Rennlist and search for the IMS failures.
Indeed! Aside from the IMS issue, early 996 Turbos also had the infamous 2nd gear pop-out issue related to a factory defect. The fix was to replace the entire transmission with a factory rebuilt unit, roughly a $11k job. Owners of cars with this issue that were out of warranty, as mine was, were basically on their own. Picture below shows the transmission that was pulled off my car which is seen in the background.

I've found most, if not all, high-end sports cars to have their Achiless' heel and whether or not we agree with how the manufacturer deals with the issue, the onus is upon the buyer to do the necessary research. Forums such as these do yeomen service in educating us so be an informed buyer!

Last edited by raj; 05-18-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

For me the Corvette vs. 911 debate has nothing to do with price. I would pick a Corvette over 911 regardless of price or if the prices were swapped.

And to those with German Engineering or superiority stamped or brainwashed in their heads, I tell you it's more perception than reality. And I have owned my share of so called high end German cars. My next purchases will not include anything German.....they would be Italian, British or Domestic (Corvette only).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!