C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:14 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
For me the Corvette vs. 911 debate has nothing to do with price. I would pick a Corvette over 911 regardless of price or if the prices were swapped.

And to those with German Engineering or superiority stamped or brainwashed in their heads, I tell you it's more perception than reality. And I have owned my share of so called high end German cars. My next purchases will not include anything German.....they would be Italian, British or Domestic (Corvette only).
I agree to an extent.

The reason I love the Corvette so much (aside from it's looks and crazy good performance) is that it's affordable. It's not a car I would use for status. If the prices of the 911 and Corvette swapped, I don't know that I'd like the Corvette nearly as much anymore.

The "under-dog" part of the Corvette has always been a big appeal to me. My dad used to use the Corvette as an example of how us hard working folk could actually buy nice things and be proud of it. Even if/when I make millions of dollars, I don't know that I would own any Porsches or at least any modern Porsches. Porsche has really changed their stance and vision and they're perfectly OK with selling you a VERY expensive car worth about half of its price.

After working at a Porsche shop for a few years, I've found myself in that situation where I was genuinely resenting the people I worked with and our customers because they had it in their head that you actually get what you pay for with Porsche. Unfortunately the world is either brainwashed or I'm at a complete loss as to what people are seeing in Porsches that I don't.

Porsche lacks modesty, and in my very honest opinion, is an over-confident manufacturer.

GM lacks marketing, and in some cases lacks class. I would have agreed to some points that Porsches were nicer cars than the Corvettes. But I really believe, for once, Chevy has really trumped Porsche once and for all with the C7 in all of the points that seem to matter: Style, performance, interior and quality. Although, quality on the C7 is really yet to be seen.

Not to sound biased, but I've never really liked the interior on German cars. I definitely don't see what others see it in. Most of them are just as plastic as the American cars and the placements for things are quite annoying.

That being said, without truly knowing everything I want to know about the C7, I placed my order. And for just less than $80K out the door, I'm going to have a fully loaded Corvette with every amenity I want in a luxury sports car housed in one of the best looking Corvettes I've ever laid eyes on. Could I do this with Porsche? No, but there is a Porsche I could afford in the same ballpark with far less of everything. Worth it? Not at all. And that's what matters.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

I think it is silly to even begin to compare the reliability, fit, and finish of the Porsches to the Corvettes. Porsches are the best-built and most reliable cars that money can buy - period.

Are they worth the money? Absolutely not. Porsche's pricing is delusional....$100k for a base 911 carrera with options. This is a car equivalent to a base C6 car in terms of performance.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear DaveFerrari458 I'm still here. Been very busy. No use bashing the C6.5 for now.
My new Boxster is on order.
It's simple. I decided to spend my money on a better quality built car, and much better dealer experience, and last but not least the club experience. I have experienced ownership and service by BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, and Chevrolet (Corvette). There is no comparison.
In all of the press announcements, comments by Porsche, etc. I have never heard them say they are targeting Corvette. Even with the improvements offered in the C6.5 (6 speed auto trans) the car falls short of what I think even GM wanted to announce. And they know it and choose their words very carefully.
Also, I just don't think given that GM has lost money in Europe for the last 12 years that they will be willing or maybe not even able to market, sell and service the Corvette over there. Way too much high end competition in Europe.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
Dear DaveFerrari458 I'm still here. Been very busy. No use bashing the C6.5 for now.
It's simple. I decided to spend my money on a better quality built car, and much better dealer experience, and last but not least the club experience. I have experienced ownership and service by BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, and Chevrolet (Corvette). There is no comparison.
Nobody cares. Enjoy your cute, slow little Boxster, ma'am.
S.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Tony007
Advanced

While I've only owned only 1 Porsche.. a 997 Turbo, I've thoroughly enjoyed owning 7 corvettes and presently own a badass ZR1.

I'm definitely a diehard Corvette guy and this new C7 is awesome. In fact I may get a new ZR1 down the road in a few years. But I'm afraid the next one will be the new 991 Turbo S.

Last edited by Tony007; 05-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Snorman

That attitude is part of the reason for leaving the Corvette community. My old Corvette club is full of people with that kind of attitude. What a rough cut bunch.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

In all of the press announcements, comments by Porsche, etc. I have never heard them say they are targeting Corvette. Even with the improvements offered in the C6.5 (6 speed auto trans) the car falls short of what I think even GM wanted to announce. And they know it and choose their words very carefully.
Also, I just don't think given that GM has lost money in Europe for the last 12 years that they will be willing or maybe not even able to market, sell and service the Corvette over there. Way too much high end competition in Europe.
You have no clue what quality is!! You're the same one that praised what a high quality car your Z4 was LOL!! And GM targeted many cars and a 911 was included (NOT a Boxster). And you call the C7 a C6.5, so what is a new Boxster.....Boxster 1.3??? Moronic comment!!! And how do we know what cars Porsche secretly targets.

Again you're the type that even a piece of sh*t that says produced in Germany is top quality.

Anyways enjoy your car whatever it is and move on. You clearly have issues!!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I think it is silly to even begin to compare the reliability, fit, and finish of the Porsches to the Corvettes. Porsches are the best-built and most reliable cars that money can buy - period.

Are they worth the money? Absolutely not. Porsche's pricing is delusional....$100k for a base 911 carrera with options. This is a car equivalent to a base C6 car in terms of performance.
No...
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

[QUOTE= ......... rough cut bunch.[/QUOTE]

"........ rough cut bunch". What can I say? I guess I'll buy a Boxster. And, refine my image some. But, then all those "rough cut" Corvette owners with their gold chains will be blowing me off the road into the bushes. Oh, the horror.....
Old 05-19-2013, 02:09 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
At this time the American Corvette is closer to the Porsche 911 than at anytime in its history,and vice versa in quality of components, engineering and build

A Porsche and a Corvette Make mine Blue !
IMO... Corvette made the change over with the C5 Z06. My first track event when the C5 Z06 was introduced back in 2001 was at a POC event and mine was the only Corvette there.

Arriving friday afternoon to register and sign in... I felt the hostility... daring to bring a Corvette to a Porsche club event.

By Saturday afternoon... guys were coming by and closely looking over a C5 Z06 that had been moved from novice class to run with their instructors.

The next big event in 2001 was at VIR with Viper Days and by Saturday evening at the diner Z06's were being discussed at many tables.

By 2003, the majority of instructor cars at most events turned out to be Z06's, which continues to this day. Initial cost and upkeep on Z06's plays a major role.

Corvette's seemed to be lacking in some areas... interiors mainly, but at the track there isn't much that will hang with them.

I have found that the guys who "track" their cars respect all the brands... most often... it comes down to the driver's ability.

That said, I'm waiting for the new C7 Z06.

Last edited by trumper Z06; 05-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, the first track day I attended in my base car was a P-car event and I got some good natured ribbing but no grief. Those guys gladly helped me learn the ropes and were visibly happy to welcome a brother (from another mother if you will) to the track. On the other hand when I went to scope a 911 at the dealership a few years later I got a couple comments on my car which were not exactly respectful. Different types at each place for sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Snorman

That attitude is part of the reason for leaving the Corvette community. My old Corvette club is full of people with that kind of attitude. What a rough cut bunch.
I have to agree. This has become a very negative forum. Seems like nobody can question anything about the C7 or have an opinion that is negative without getting trashed. I hope you flag wavers for the C7 are just as understanding if your dream car arrives with lousy quality or reliability. Nobody knows at this point because a car has not been delivered. However GM does not have a good track record for bringing out a new car without quality issues. Don't believe me ? Find one car launch where they have had faultless execution.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default Are you complaining about Corvette Owners or Corvettes or both

There have been no Cars launched that were perfect anywhere AGREED !
( Miatas are likely the closest)

You are correct, no one knows SO lets be pessimistic

No one knew the problems Porsche built from 99-08 in most of the 911s
and from 97-2008 in Boxsters. Search IMS Failure Porsche !

My point is that this forum takes on the Curmudgeon attitude where
people don't forget or forgive. Much is about the past. I have seen
GM Products improve dramatically, Ford as well. Porsche you bet

Hyundai/Kia may be the example we all need to see !

If all you are going to do is complain or question something you haven't seen yet, or expect it all to break then you can say the sky is falling
and then when a meteor hits you say SEE I TOLD YOU

I going to stand under the awning watch and listen to guys racing
and drink beer and eat Chicken enjoy

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have to agree. This has become a very negative forum. Seems like nobody can question anything about the C7 or have an opinion that is negative without getting trashed. I hope you flag wavers for the C7 are just as understanding if your dream car arrives with lousy quality or reliability. Nobody knows at this point because a car has not been delivered. However GM does not have a good track record for bringing out a new car without quality issues. Don't believe me ? Find one car launch where they have had faultless execution.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
There have been no Cars launched that were perfect anywhere AGREED !
( Miatas are likely the closest)

You are correct, no one knows SO lets be pessimistic

No one knew the problems Porsche built from 99-08 in most of the 911s
and from 97-2008 in Boxsters. Search IMS Failure Porsche !

My point is that this forum takes on the Curmudgeon attitude where
people don't forget or forgive. Much is about the past. I have seen
GM Products improve dramatically, Ford as well. Porsche you bet

Hyundai/Kia may be the example we all need to see !

If all you are going to do is complain or question something you haven't seen yet, or expect it all to break then you can say the sky is falling
and then when a meteor hits you say SEE I TOLD YOU

I going to stand under the awning watch and listen to guys racing
and drink beer and eat Chicken enjoy
Its not being pessimistic. Its being realistic. The point I was making which you did not understand is that nobody can question or disagree with anything related to the C7 without being ridiculed or slammed. I really do wish all of you great success with your C7 but I will wait out the 2014 because I don't have great confidence that GM will get it right the first time. I also see them making changes in 2015 that will **** a lot of you off. How do I know this ? History can be a great predictor of the future.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Snorman

Okay...great.
Don't trip on your heels on your way out the door from constantly reminding everybody that you ordered a new Boxster.
S.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Its not being pessimistic. Its being realistic. The point I was making which you did not understand is that nobody can question or disagree with anything related to the C7 without being ridiculed or slammed. I really do wish all of you great success with your C7 but I will wait out the 2014 because I don't have great confidence that GM will get it right the first time. I also see them making changes in 2015 that will **** a lot of you off. How do I know this ? History can be a great predictor of the future.
BALONEY.I have criticized plenty on the new C7 (though I do like it overall and expect to own one in 10 years or so) and have been treated civilly. I hope you will develop the discernment to see that those who get slammed are leading with their chin and dripping with arrogance. The type of trolls that deserve slamming whether they love, hate or have mixed feelings about the C7.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

The point I was making which you did not understand is that nobody can question or disagree with anything related to the C7 without being ridiculed or slammed.
This is completely untrue. The only people being slammed are those who lack the ability to have a meaningful discussion and instead prefer to be rude and juvenile. I see plenty of debates, even heated ones, that manage to be respectful and useful to others who may have similar questions.

Also, let's not try and pretend that the only ones on this forum who like to trash talk Porsche's are those who like C7's. It seems a little dishonest to try and link the two and therefore imply that only C7 lovers are the ones ridculing and slamming others.

And back on topic:
In general I think most people realize that no car is perfect (as has been mentioned before). The trick is to find the car with strengths that align with what the owner is looking for. I always view the Cayman/Boxster as well as the 911 as competition for the Vette. The Cayman/Boxster compete in a similar price bracket, while the 911 competes in a similar performance bracket.

So, the Vette has the strengths of high performance and value, but the weaknesses of percieved quality and reduced precision and finesse.

The Boxster/Cayman have the precision and finesse, but give up performance and luxury gadgets unless you go heavy on the options (in which case they end up in a higher price range).

The 911 has the performance, but an even greater disparity in price.

So, for those of us who like value and raw power and brutal grip, the Vette can be quite compelling.
For those who prefer the precision and finesse side of things, one of the Porsche's might be more interesting.

The question with the C7 is, how well has it incorporated some of the precision and finesse without losing its value and raw performance. Gotta say, it is looking and sounding like GM has made great strides in those areas.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 05-20-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default Actually Look again

997s 987s are dropping and Gt3s (good ones have maybe stabilized ) but 4 year -6 year old cars with low miles are mostly 50-70% off their MSRP

Originally Posted by ljpviper
Last time I checked GT3s are going up in value and the 997s have held there value really well. The 996 is another story that was an abortion.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Excellent original post.

Corvette & Porsche have both created their own brand of life long loyalists. Its good to see someone come from the "other" side not only to praise the Corvette, but to give a realistic point of view from a Porsche car. Neither of these brands are perfect. In fact no brand is. Even Ferrari who sits on top of the car food chain.. are horridly expensive to own & maintain only to end up being more of museum piece (trophy wife), than performance that gets proven on the street & track.

At the end of the day we all buy these cars for different reasons. I know why I bought Corvette and I know why I will buy Corvette again. That does not mean I will never buy Porsche, Ferrari, etc.. but that does mean that I will always buy Corvette first. The C7 has guaranteed that I will stay a Corvette owner for another 5-8 years.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

J. D. Powers survey shows Porsche overall #2 in dependability with 94 issues per 100 cars, Chevrolet 12th 125 issues per 100 cars (just above industry average of 126 issues). And Corvette being one of the most dependable Chevrolets it is not that far below Porches, if at all, for reliability. JD Powers rates Porches 5 star in dependability and Corvettes 4.5 stars.

Last edited by hig4s; 05-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Versus Porsche from the eyes of a Porsche Guy lets moderate the trolls!