C7 Navigation System - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back   >
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

C7 Navigation System

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Apocolips
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Apocolips's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: Great State Of Arkansas
Posts: 901
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Default C7 Navigation System

Has anyone seen the graphics in the C7ís navigation system? Wondering if they have improved the display over the C6 system.
Apocolips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,052
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Default

The displays are greatly improved, all high def (720 p). The 8" one in the center is much brighter, 1000 NIT (unit of brightness), the 8" one in front of the driver is 650 NIT -- compared to a brand new iPhone or IPad with retinal display which is 500 NIT.

The one in the center is touchscreen, "gestive," again like an iPhone or iPad. Even the HUD (available on the 2LT and 3 LT interiors) is now color, also 720 p.
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
b4i4getit
CF Senior Member
 
b4i4getit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 6,134
Thanked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Default

The C7 nav display is much brighter and more detailed than the C6. In all fairness the C6 display should have been replaced with a newer unit midway in its run. This is generally the biggest problem with in-dash nav systems. It is very likely the C7 nav system software and display technology will start to look very old in a few years as well. However GM wil most likely keep the same unit no matter how obsolete it looks throughout the C7 model run. As was explained to me by a GM executive "we build cars not electronics".
b4i4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Sooo Bad
CF Senior Member
 
Sooo Bad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Big Sky Country Montana
Posts: 470
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

When I bought my C6 I ordered it with the nav. It has been on 3-4 times in 3 years! I got it only for the re-sale value...hoping that the next buyer didn't know anything about the Corvette nav system! I am sure I get some giggles when someone walks by the Vert, and sees my Garmin sitting on the dash above the nav system.

I will be getting the nav in my C7, and hopefully, not just for the re-sale this time!
Sooo Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
VRYALT3R3D
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4i4getit View Post
As was explained to me by a GM executive "we build cars not electronics".
That sure didn't stop Ford drom consistently updating their in-dash entertainment systems...Sync.......MFT......ECT
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
speedlink
CF Senior Member
 
speedlink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,308
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
That sure didn't stop Ford drom consistently updating their in-dash entertainment systems...Sync.......MFT......ECT
They had to. In many cases it just didn't work. Many warranty claims.
speedlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Bill17601
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill17601's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,819
Thanked 223 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I watched YouTube videos on the 2013 Cadiliac CUE system. They are very good and I think show what we will see in the new Stingray. I could post a link if some would like that.
Bill17601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,052
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Default

We will not be getting a version of Cadillac QUE, but the latest version of MyLink.
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Bill17601
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill17601's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,819
Thanked 223 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
We will not be getting a version of Cadillac QUE, but the latest version of MyLink.
One of us does not know what the Cadillac system is called


www.motorauthority.com › News › Car Tech
by Nelson Ireson - in 260 Google+ circles
Feb 6, 2013 – As innovative as Cadillac's CUE touch-based infotainment interface is, it has met with widespread criticism--including our own. But Cadillac is ...


Whatever you want to call it they are both the same. Just google the system and you can see they are alike..
Bill17601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Bill17601
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill17601's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,819
Thanked 223 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Including the little hidden compartment

► 6:06► 6:06
www.youtube.com/watch?v=62u7rjjn1Ro
Oct 12, 2011 - Uploaded by geekbeattv
Cadillac gave us a sneak peak at their new CUE system. It stands for Cadillac User ...
Bill17601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Jefe's GS
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2012
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4i4getit View Post
"we build cars not electronics".
That kind of reasoning will put Chevy in last place very quickly. The World has changed and you either change with it or get left behind.

Nav will become standard in five years on ALL cars. The manufacturers are cleaning up while they can. Remember when AC was an option most passed on? I recall roll up windows and a drivers side only mirror. Before that radios and heaters were optional.

Time marches on.
Jefe's GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09
 
BuckyThreadkiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Top of the hill, 3rd mailbox on the right. Texas
Posts: 43,827
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

GM doesn't need to build electronics.

But they need to build an open ended, standardized data bus into the infrastructure of the car so that those electronics can be upgraded through the run of the model.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,611
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

The new navigation system (integration with the infotainment system, features and capabilities), the old system isn't even in the same league.

I've seen the system and it is "blow you away" capable.

I'll be giving a seminar at the NCM for the Labor Day event on the complete infotainment system and it's capabilities and integration.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Kappa
CF Senior Member
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,061
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
The new navigation system (integration with the infotainment system, features and capabilities), the old system isn't even in the same league.

I've seen the system and it is "blow you away" capable.

I'll be giving a seminar at the NCM for the Labor Day event on the complete infotainment system and it's capabilities and integration.
/thread
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,611
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

There is a lot of information in this thread and some of it is even accurate.

The much maligned navigation unit in the sixth generation Corvette was a very capable navigation system for it's day (developed in 2003) even up until the end. Trust me, the list of folks that know the operation of it in total better than I do isn't all that long. Take a look at what Garmin was offering in 2003 for comparison. Within Corvette, the unit was slated for replacement with the 2008 and again for the 2009 model year but the downturn and sales prevented that from happening. Unfortunately, a car like the Corvette (particularly the sixth generation) has significant integration of the systems. The Corvette architecture was an island among The GM fleet and as such, a different unit couldn't just be swapped in, it needed to be designed in and there was no money in the program for that when the SA.es went soft. Further problems with contractual obligations with the supplier prevented a mid-life upgrade. Denso had a unit that could have worked but they saved particular hardware for their bread and butter platforms and wouldn't work with GM for the Corvette to make the upgrade.

Because of this significant integration, once the platform gets set, it isn't very easy to change.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Shrike6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Cruise-In 7, 9 & 12 Veteran
Wounded Warrior Escort '11
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
 
Shrike6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

How is the new unit's maps updated? DVD? Over the air? Real time traffic?
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
SCM_Crash
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SCM_Crash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 9,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
How is the new unit's maps updated? DVD? Over the air? Real time traffic?
I'd like to know this as well.
SCM_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
b4i4getit
CF Senior Member
 
b4i4getit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 6,134
Thanked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
There is a lot of information in this thread and some of it is even accurate.

The much maligned navigation unit in the sixth generation Corvette was a very capable navigation system for it's day (developed in 2003) even up until the end. Trust me, the list of folks that know the operation of it in total better than I do isn't all that long. Take a look at what Garmin was offering in 2003 for comparison. Within Corvette, the unit was slated for replacement with the 2008 and again for the 2009 model year but the downturn and sales prevented that from happening. Unfortunately, a car like the Corvette (particularly the sixth generation) has significant integration of the systems. The Corvette architecture was an island among The GM fleet and as such, a different unit couldn't just be swapped in, it needed to be designed in and there was no money in the program for that when the SA.es went soft. Further problems with contractual obligations with the supplier prevented a mid-life upgrade. Denso had a unit that could have worked but they saved particular hardware for their bread and butter platforms and wouldn't work with GM for the Corvette to make the upgrade.

Because of this significant integration, once the platform gets set, it isn't very easy to change.
Paul your last sentence is very revealing. That is the main reason why the C7 Nav system will be obsolete just as quickly as the C6 system was. It may be all flashy now but it is a given that it will quickly become obsolete. I can't see that GM or any of the other domestic manufacturers are going to keep updating the technology for a given vehicle. It never has. I am very confident that the C7 Nav will stay exactly the same for the duration of its run until the C8 is released. For that reason alone I would advise against getting the Nav system unless you don't mind paying a premium for what will soon be old technology.
b4i4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
SCM_Crash
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SCM_Crash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 9,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Do you upgrade your whole computer everytime you upgrade your browser or office suite?

The software can always be upgraded and improved upon without hardware changes. Take my word on this. It's not the integration of the hardware that limits manufacturers from updating your infotainment systems. It's the incentive to upgrade your car to a new car that keeps them from updating your old car.
SCM_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
b4i4getit
CF Senior Member
 
b4i4getit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 6,134
Thanked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM_Crash View Post
Do you upgrade your whole computer everytime you upgrade your browser or office suite?

The software can always be upgraded and improved upon without hardware changes. Take my word on this. It's not the integration of the hardware that limits manufacturers from updating your infotainment systems. It's the incentive to upgrade your car to a new car that keeps them from updating your old car.
The Nav system as supplied for the C7 will be locked into its design and functionality for the duration of the model run. You are right in saying there is no incentive for GM to provide upgrades. Sad but true.
b4i4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C7 Navigation System
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    European Maps for Navigation MaryAnnB C7 General Discussion 16 07-02-2015 05:02 PM
    Navigation question c7jim C7 Z06 Discussion 3 02-22-2015 06:10 PM
    Updating navigation dckotwicki C7 General Discussion 14 06-16-2014 05:24 PM
    C7 Navigation System Bryan Wharton C7 Tech/Performance 12 04-22-2014 12:10 AM
    C6 Navigation DVD BevoZ06 C6 Corvette General Discussion 6 06-17-2011 09:45 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 AM.