C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of collecting C7 Corvettes and other high tech cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there are a lot of modern cars that are potential collector items. Think from a Corvette perspective. Look at how the 1996 Grand Sport has held its value in recent years. The 2003 Anniversary Red special and 2004 Commemorative Editions are on their way to becoming collector cars and I think the 2013 60th anniversary 427 will be someday as well.

There are a lot of exotics that I think will appreciate in value over time as well. The Ferrari Enzo already has, and I think the 360 Challenge Stradale, 430 Scuderia and 599 GTO will as well. The Murcielago SV might too.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Precisely my point. Unless GM sells the schematics and code to another company, someone (either an individual in their garage or a company) will have to reverse engineer the module. It is just as big a task as the original engineering project. It's not as simple as some people think.

Say some company does it, then how much will those modules cost?
I certainly never said it would be cheap. GM licenses things frequently like the MSRC tech to Ferrari.

Maybe the bigger question is will the company survive long enough to license this tech to aftermarket suppliers and who would those suppliers be?

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-21-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Even today, 3D printers are coming to fruition. In the future, it will likely be possible to scan and print just about anything.
Possibly.

I have to say though that the public's current fascination with 3D printers seems excessive and very late-in-coming. I remember getting excited about stereolithography when I first encountered it, too... in the late 1980s!

Why wasn't there similar public excitement about CNC milling machines? Bolt down a billet, download some G-code, hit go, and boom - a gleaming metal part and a bunch of chips.

People are being invited to think of a 3D printer like the Replicator from Star Trek, which it isn't.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by todillinder
Then you have us older Gen X'ers who are in the middle.
Weened on Carbs, and grew into F.I..
C7's will be collectable.
C4's in general will start to rise, but I see them more as the resto mods of the near future. You can update and backdate this generation at will.
C5's and C6's will bottom out now with the economy and the arrival of the new C7. It will take them the 30 to 40 years to be desired again.
Definitely agree with you there. Guys love tweaking the C4s but seems like just recently there has been a surge in it. Not too long ago if someone was asking about advice for an LS motor swap into a C4, they were discouraged and told to just buy a C5/6. Now it's all the rave. Guess chalk a lot of that up to so many people doing it and now there are plenty of products and solutions to drop those engines in hassle free.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
When I consider the integration of both hardware and software in automobiles of today, I wonder what the future will hold for car collectors.

So many of the functions of the C7 and other modern cars is controlled by a "computer" and other electronic components, what do you think the longevity will be of those parts in order to have a collector C7 car run properly 40-50 years from now. (It won't be my problem, just pondering the issue)

Every time I hit the door open button on a C6 I just can't believe that the component will be good for half a century. Will replacement parts still be available?

Has the computer age killed the possibility of todays cars still running and drivable in 50 years?
The after market will always be there to produce reproduction parts and electronics. HOWEVER 40-50 years from now EVERYTHING on the road will be electric powered so the fuel will be more of a worry than a control board somewhere.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The bigger problem will be finding gas for these cars. I have to believe that electric cars or some other non-polluting propulsion system will be the norm in 50 years and the technology that controls them will be complex. The cars they are building today will be as exciting as the horse and buggy are to us now.
You will be lucky 40 years from now if you will be able to buy the proper fuel for a C7 at all. Electric propulsion once main stream the US government has the power with the stroke of a pen to banish all internal combustion cars from ever being driven again and don't think that wont happen. The hand writing or should I dare say key strokes are already on the wall. Bye Bye Borla/Corsa The truly modern Corvette sound will be a Hummmmmm.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 05-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
The after market will always be there to produce reproduction parts and electronics. HOWEVER 40-50 years from now EVERYTHING on the road will be electric powered so the fuel will be more of a worry than a control board somewhere.
Completely agreed. Not only will gas be like $50 a gallon as the world has sucked dry current supplies.. but emission laws will also be incredibly strict. If you want to know what the future will be like 40-50 years from now.. just look back 40-50 years ago and realize how much things have changed since then.

How much was gas then?
What was the carbon footprint of vehicles then?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Will there be fuel available for todays cars in 40 years. Technological advances are making many of our tried and true products museum pieces overnight. Remember typewriters?
Fuel is not, and will not be a problem. We have an abundance of fuel here in America. If we would get government off our backs, we have the resources and ability for thousands of years. Don't need a drop of import.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedlink
Fuel is not, and will not be a problem. We have an abundance of fuel here in America. If we would get government off our backs, we have the resources and ability for thousands of years. Don't need a drop of import.
It's not whether fuel is available. It is the distrubution system will not be available since no one but historical vehicles will need fuel. If you wanted to get a truck load of coal,,where would you go today...50 yrs ago that was no problem. Coal is still available but there is no distrubtion system in place.

Steve l.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I had a good laugh as 40 years from now I'll be dust.

There will always be something better to take it's place and I'm sure people who want to drive these cars will have a way to make them work
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerriVette

There will always be something better to take it's place and I'm sure people who want to drive these cars will have a way to make them work
I suspect that the engines will come out and electrics installed in front of the tranny.
Steve L.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerriVette

You and me both babe
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Collecting is usually about how many were made and how many of those have survived at any given point in time.

Then you mix into the equation how desirable the car was when new and how desirable it is at any point down the road.

Older Ferraris, which were rarely made in huge numbers, have to have a lot of replacement parts manufactured from scratch because there are no factory replacement parts.

In the future it is likely that replacing or duplicating a complex electronic box will be much easier than designing a hand tooled mechanical component for a 60 year old Ferrari or a 70 year old Rolls.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
You are assuming someone will have to reverse engineer a control module. I'm assuming these things will either be sold by or licensed from GM or whoever.

Then again there are folks who can/will repair them.
http://www.ecudoctors.com/
GM owns the IP for the programming of the technology but they don't own the technology itself. The modules are owned by the suppliers (like Bosch, Denso, Delphi, etc) that build them from whatever technology is available at the time. That base technology is owned by the large semiconductor makers who tell their Customers when the technology will be obsoleted. All it takes is for one of the many highly integrated semiconductor components in a module to become obsolete and the module has to be redesigned and the IP remapped into the new technology and design. This takes lots of money to buy the new components, redesign circuit boards, map the IP and finally test it all to see if it will work when put in a car. The investment can cost millions and the only organization stupid enough to do it is the US Government with its military equipment. That is how we get 50 year old B52s being flown by the great grandchildren of the people who originally flew them.

Bill
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Precisely my point. Unless GM sells the schematics and code to another company, someone (either an individual in their garage or a company) will have to reverse engineer the module. It is just as big a task as the original engineering project. It's not as simple as some people think.

Say some company does it, then how much will those modules cost?
I don't see it happening. IIRC Delphi was involved in the system and have since lost the plans necessary to re-make the modules. We are SOL.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I don't see it happening. IIRC Delphi was involved in the system and have since lost the plans necessary to re-make the modules. We are SOL.
Consider the Tektronix 24xx oscilloscopes. They were great pieces of equipment and Tek built tens of thousands of them. After a few years the horizontal amplifiers started going bad. They were special hybrid parts, and somewhere along the line Tek sold off the production facility. So after the stock of spares was used up they just quit fixing them, extended warranty owners be damned.

Nowadays most of these units are boat anchors for want of one unobtainable part.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Simple. Emulators.

It won't be hard (especially 40 years from now) to make aftermarket electronics.

Get notified of new replies

To The future of collecting C7 Corvettes and other high tech cars.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Simple. Emulators.

It won't be hard (especially 40 years from now) to make aftermarket electronics.
It's not hard to make electronics now. It's hard to figure out exactly what they're supposed to do. If we were in possession of a complete annotated functional spec of each module with timing diagrams and the whole shebang, then we'd be cooking with gas.

Reverse-engineered emulated hardware running copied firmware runs into numerous dumb legal problems. Perhaps in 40 years things will have become so intractable they'll have reformed the system.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quite the opposite now... Before the hardware was run by firmware burnt on a PROM and a board that managed hardware control via an IC. Today we're using computers similar to what we're using on our desktops that control the hardware. If there's one out there that works, it can be copied. Honestly, reverse engineering this stuff will get easier as time goes on.

40 years from now, the computers in the C7 will be childs play.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of old cars run much more reliably with modern electronic conversions (Pertronix/MSD ignition, Megasquirt EFI). As for the ECU, GM has done basically all of the hard work, in terms of input/output channels and algorithms and how they work with the other subsystems. Remember when Nissan said the GT-R's proprietary programming would be all but impossible to crack? That lasted all of what, one month. If you tell programmers and hackers they can't do something, odds are good that they will try to find a way around it and if it supplements their income, that's all the better.
The question is, is today's ECU for a Corvette with the full suite of electronics (PTM, launch control, active handling, magnetic shocks, etc) much more expensive than it is for, say, a C4? With BMWs, a V8 M3 ECU is actually less expensive than for an old 4-banger M3. Part of this may be due to volume, which gets into the next point.

It will be interesting to see if today's Ferraris are collectible like they were before. I suspect there are simply too many built, outside of the once in a decade hypercars. And they are built much better, last longer, and it's almost pointless to find cars with ultra low miles because people are driving them more and more, because they are more reliable (and easier to drive with automated transmissions). There's a paradox among collectors for old cars: A pristine, low mileage car might fetch a lot of money, but a car needs to be exercised to keeps seals fresh, parts from oxidizing or seizing up. That pristine car might cost a small fortune to put right.
Will the youth of tomorrow really covet them like today's collectors? Very hard to say. While emerging markets like China and the Middle East have fueled an increase in Ferrari production, it remains to be seen that audiences that buy new cars for the bling and flash factor will really care about heritage or exclusivity.

Quick Reply: The future of collecting C7 Corvettes and other high tech cars.