C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What future fate awaits the C7 show cars and test cars out there today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Default What future fate awaits the C7 show cars and test cars out there today?

I know there are at least 3 or 4 show car C7's out there today and several pre-production cars driving around the country in various colors. What will be the fate of these cars that can never be sold to the general public? Will they end up in the crusher eventually after their usefulness as a test car expires? Will the show cars be donated to the Corvette museum or will they just rot in some back lot? Anyone know?

I know years ago that most test cars and even show cars were commonly crushed. Although not all.. and have later sold for big bucks.

Ex122 was the Motorama Corvette first shown in January of 1953 in New York. After, it was used as a test car and was repainted red with a tan interior, had one of the first V8's installed in it. I use to see this car all the time at local car meets as a 1952 (sign) Corvette in Rochester NY. The owner who purchased the car in 1959 for a thousand dollars bought it from a GM engineer. The man told me the story on this car and had it till his death. Kerbeck now has this car which was bought from the man's estate.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crusher!!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

First of all, there are more than a few pre-production cars out there - Indy pace cars, show cars, exec cars, durability test cars, etc. Some are crushed, but many are used as test mules for future parts, options, engines, etc. Some will be for display at museums and other purposes.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Chance575
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Some may become long term test mules. I know a proving ground engineer who tells stories of a Camaro that has been beat to **** through multiple transformations from a V6 test mule, zl1 and now the z28. He has patched it up after multiple crashes and people still drool over spy photos of it testing.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Idea GM listen up. Use the test mules for track vehicles for owners of vettes to rent on the road course being built across the street. Or send them to spring mountain so I can drive the wheels off them.

Get notified of new replies

To What future fate awaits the C7 show cars and test cars out there today?

Quick Reply: What future fate awaits the C7 show cars and test cars out there today?