Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rumors Of Future C7 Varioations

Convertible C7 ...Spring 2014
C7 Z06 ...Spring 2015
C7 Z06 Convertible ...Summer 2015
C7 'Lite' ($45K entry-level / 6-cyl?) ...Fall 2015 (2016 MY)

No C7 ZR1, but several themed CEs after 2015

I feel like writing something to share, so here goes. This may be more enlightening for the newer posters - CF veterans, maybe not so much :

So I'm in a dealer today getting service on my 2013 427. While I'm waiting, I'm talking to the general manager. We're talking about the LS7 engine (as you might expect), and the subject turns to reliability of future Corvette engines, namely the LT1. Well, then he offers a coffee and wants to introduce me to someone. We walk over, Lattes in-hand, and I'm introduced to a visiting Region Manager (don't want to share any names here). We talk about my satisfaction with the C6 427, my preference for the heritage of Corvette, and mixed feelings about the 'newness' of the coming C7. The Region Manager understands, and we talk about what a C6 Z06/427 owner might be looking for in a future C7. As it turns out, I don't think this was just any region manager. He seemed to be in the area for some key event (maybe NBA finals tickets? ...Go Spurs). I make it clear that I'm always looking for top-of-the-food-chain performance in a convertible. (I'm not looking for a track car in a Corvette, just to know the capability. I've driven on tracks with some familiarity, and my experience is that track cars are driven VERY hard - a new Corvette, or anything over $75K is too nice for my money.) Are fans for future C7 models still with me? Good. Well any hoo, this RM understands and acknowledges that the C7 marks a change for Corvette. I press the issue, "Is the new C7 more of a GT? Are there Hi-Po versions coming, a la Z06?" I get smiles in response. But the indication is that GM expects sales success with the C7, so future variations of such a radical change will come a bit slower. No clear indications about HP in future models, but exciting possibilities. We also talked about the furious discussions and speculation around the C7 and the new direction it represents for Corvette. All very plausible. A thought-provoking and yet mysterious conversation for sure. Clearly, there's a lot of hyperbole about the C7 out there. I felt it my duty to share some of it with anxious C7 fans...

Like I said, I felt like writing - file this with all the other future C7 information.

Last edited by VETTEMANN; 06-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Imo, the hi-po version or versions will be out sooner than later. There are some bad *** rides coming out and I dont think GM wants to be left at the alter plus do they really want the Z-28 to be the top performer in 14 and 15?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator
I'm with you. Got any butter?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't know that I follow your post... can you summarize it in a bullet point or two? I've had similar discussions with senior GM folks too and they had similar comments to what other GM people we have read about on this site have said. I'm not quite sure what the message was from the nameless GM representative above was other than the C7 is too expensive to track, future Z06 variants will be slower to launch, etc.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Thanks. Good observations and information. A relief from the controversy of other post. I guess if you do not stir the pot a post is not worthy..
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing but innuendo. No names, no credibility, and no different than the 'I know a guy who knows a guy...' stuff we always hear around here.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Nothing but innuendo. No names, no credibility, and no different than the 'I know a guy who knows a guy...' stuff we always hear around here.
This time is different... it was a REGIONAL manager.

In all seriousness, I friend knows the President of Chev Canada and has been able to get little to no useful information. I expect somewhat because he is sticking to the release of info that the company has decided is appropriate and isn't into leaking info prematurely. If a Regional Manager knew anything of substance, I suspect they would take the same approach... especially when speaking to a random customer. Also, it is their job to SELL cars and facilitate this within the region... they would be nothing but positive, upbeat and towing the party line regardless. If they were speaking to someone who wanted the Vette to be a GT... it would be. If they were speaking to someone who wanted the Vette to be a Sports car (which it is)... it would be.

Anyway, I'm still not clear on what the OP's discussion was with the RM as the first post was confusing to me.

Last edited by gthal; 06-12-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by gthal
Anyway, I'm still not clear on what the OP's discussion was with the RM as the first post was confusing to me.
It's OK. Regional Managers know precisely dick about what's coming in the future for the Corvette (or any other model) besides what's been announced. So the OP is basically useless information.

"I know a guy that knows a guy that..."

Yep. Sure. And I've got some beach-front property in one of those dry, lower mid-west states to sell you...
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
Convertible C7 ...Spring 2014
C7 Z06 ...Spring 2015
C7 Z06 Convertible ...Summer 2015
C7 'Lite' ($45K entry-level / 6-cyl?) ...Fall 2015 (2016 MY)

No C7 ZR1, but several themed CEs after 2015

I feel like writing something to share, so here goes. This may be more enlightening for the newer posters - CF veterans, maybe not so much :

So I'm in a dealer today getting service on my 2013 427. While I'm waiting, I'm talking to the general manager. We're talking about the LS7 engine (as you might expect), and the subject turns to reliability of future Corvette engines, namely the LT1. Well, then he offers a coffee and wants to introduce me to someone. We walk over, Lattes in-hand, and I'm introduced to a visiting Region Manager (don't want to share any names here). We talk about my satisfaction with the C6 427, my preference for the heritage of Corvette, and mixed feelings about the 'newness' of the coming C7. The Region Manager understands, and we talk about what a C6 Z06/427 owner might be looking for in a future C7. As it turns out, I don't think this was just any region manager. He seemed to be in the area for some key event (maybe NBA finals tickets? ...Go Spurs). I make it clear that I'm always looking for top-of-the-food-chain performance in a convertible. (I'm not looking for a track car in a Corvette, just to know the capability. I've driven on tracks with some familiarity, and my experience is that track cars are driven VERY hard - a new Corvette, or anything over $75K is too nice for my money.) Are fans for future C7 models still with me? Good. Well any hoo, this RM understands and acknowledges that the C7 marks a change for Corvette. I press the issue, "Is the new C7 more of a GT? Are there Hi-Po versions coming, a la Z06?" I get smiles in response. But the indication is that GM expects sales success with the C7, so future variations of such a radical change will come a bit slower. No clear indications about HP in future models, but exciting possibilities. We also talked about the furious discussions and speculation around the C7 and the new direction it represents for Corvette. All very plausible. A thought-provoking and yet mysterious conversation for sure. Clearly, there's a lot of hyperbole about the C7 out there. I felt it my duty to share some of it with anxious C7 fans...

Like I said, I felt like writing - file this with all the other future C7 information.
can you rate his smile as we do out pain when we visit the doctor, where 50 horsepower gain is a weak smile, 100 horsepower gain is a grin, and 150 horsepower gain is a smiley face?

Just saying he smiled is not enough. Remember when Hot Rod magazine asked the two GM engineers about the horsepower of the LT1 and they smiled. Hot Rod ran with that and predicted that GM was sandbagging with their 450HP(est) and, based on the engineer's "smile", said it would be 475 horsepower. We all now know that the GM engineer's "smile" meant that the horsepower would be 455 HP, and not 475. Apparently the GM engineers displayed a very weak "smile" when talking with Hot Rod magazine.

That is why we need a chart on "smiles".

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

look at the option list on the C6. Base, Z51, vert, GS, GS vert, Z06, ZR1......

Sales still down. How can more models get them more sales? Just sounds like more headaches to me.

I bet they make more money with a coupe and a vert.......

Last edited by JT Metal; 06-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Originally Posted by jvp
It's OK. Regional Managers know precisely dick about what's coming in the future for the Corvette (or any other model) besides what's been announced. So the OP is basically useless information.

"I know a guy that knows a guy that..."

Yep. Sure. And I've got some beach-front property in one of those dry, lower mid-west states to sell you...
Originally Posted by JoesC5
can you rate his smile as we do out pain when we visit the doctor, where 50 horsepower gain is a weak smile, 100 horsepower gain is a grin, and 150 horsepower gain is a smiley face?

Just saying he smiled is not enough. Remember when Hot Rod magazine asked the two GM engineers about the horsepower of the LT1 and they smiled. Hot Rod ran with that and predicted that GM was sandbagging with their 450HP(est) and, based on the engineer's "smile", said it would be 475 horsepower. We all now know that the GM engineer's "smile" meant that the horsepower would be 455 HP, and not 475. Apparently the GM engineers displayed a very weak "smile" when talking with Hot Rod magazine.

That is why we need a chart on "smiles".
Well, I heard the C7 was going to run sooooo fast that run flats would not even hold up very well, thus they are introducing a continental kit as an option on the new C7 so there would be at least one spare tire for those who REALLY wanted to try out all this new HP

And...........I have that on good authority. But I can't mention no names. Go ahead..........Make fun all you want. You just wait till you see that continental kit on mine.......Su Weeeeet
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I saw a interesting Car and Driver video on youtube where there is a round table discussion on how the C7 will be accepted and how the a lower cost version of the C7 will be coming out with the 5.3 V8!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
I saw a interesting Car and Driver video on youtube where there is a round table discussion on how the C7 will be accepted and how the a lower cost version of the C7 will be coming out with the 5.3 V8!
I think that's a Motor Trend video...
They have been reporting for many months that there will be a C7 "lite". No one else has hinted at a lower cost C7 and based on how many things MT got WRONG leading up to the intro, I would take their "info" with a large grain!

Jimmy
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I think that's a Motor Trend video...
They have been reporting for many months that there will be a C7 "lite". No one else has hinted at a lower cost C7 and based on how many things MT got WRONG leading up to the intro, I would take their "info" with a large grain!

Jimmy
Didn't they say the C7 would base at $60,000?....
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Good post OP. Thanks for the info. I agree with the planned layout. Corvette has always been the top sports car for GM (minus the Grand national mistake) Corvette will release a higher performance model before the Z28 comes out. My two cents only.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Good post OP. Thanks for the info. I agree with the planned layout. Corvette has always been the top sports car for GM (minus the Grand national mistake) Corvette will release a higher performance model before the Z28 comes out. My two cents only.
You do know the 505 hp Z-28 will be here in 2014 right? Does not leave much time for a higher horse C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumors Of Future C7 Varioations

Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
96ss#80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Imo, the hi-po version or versions will be out sooner than later. There are some bad *** rides coming out and I dont think GM wants to be left at the alter plus do they really want the Z-28 to be the top performer in 14 and 15?
They will lose too many sales waiting!!! There are a lot of people that want to buy Z06, or Zr1 performance variants of the C7 that will spend there money on something else if GM waits too long!

The new 911 turbo, GT3, Nissan GTR, Acura NSX: all have new models coming soon
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO GM and Chevrolet will never allow their best halo car to be outperformed by the GT500 in any area of performance measure. I'm sure they have a trump card in the near future. GM needs to beware of the upcoming Mustang GT since I'm sure Ford will bring a very strong performer to the table in their 215/16 version. If GM/Chevy doesn't have the best performing American made automobile, at least in their stable, sales will plummet...PERIOD!

I bought a Mustang Bullitt in 2008 when Chevy didn't have a performance car within my ability to pay category. In just a short period of time, I bought the 5th gen Camaro and concurrently Ford brought out the new 5.0 Coyote engine that performed better. In the last few months, the Mustang has outsold the 5th Gen Camaro handily which is a reversal of the past couple years! GM beware!!! Many will buy where the best performing car is in their price range.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this is what the Z- version will look like, or should look like - IMHO:

Last edited by User 2623; 06-12-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rumors Of Future C7 Varioations