Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
bimmerborn
CF Senior Member
 
bimmerborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Sunnyvale CA
Default A-Pillar Opinion

Please state your opinion. **


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.








** Applicable only on the exposed Carbon-Fiber roof option.
bimmerborn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
michaelinmech
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
michaelinmech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania
Default

Yellow - with the roof on

Black - with the roof off
michaelinmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Default

First picture... black A pillar.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member
 
QUAKEJAKE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Milford NH
Default

Black
QUAKEJAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
sam90lx
CF Senior Member
 
sam90lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Ventura CA
Default

2nd pic
sam90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Default

Third option: Body colored CF roof and A pillar also body colored.

Any able to photoshop that please, also in Velocity Yellow?

Thank you!!!
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Default

This subject has been covered before. Although some guys like the look in photoshops, it doesn't work out on a real car. That's because that black pillar we see consists of a rubber weatherseal along the rearward area of the pillar. If you try to paint the rubber it won't look right and if you leave it black the rest of the painted pillar is too thin, doesn't flow right.

The only way painted pillars could flow and blend in gracefully would be if an aftermarket company designed a VERY thin and slightly curving painted molding to go over the pillar including the weatherseal part.




.

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.
ZL-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Zymurgy
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zymurgy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Default

This is interesting. I thought it wold look better with a body colored A-pillar. However, now that I have seen it, it looks better with the black A-pillar.
Zymurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin Texas
Default

My opinion is that the A-pillar should be the same as the body color.
I also think the roof should be the same as body color.
MitchAlsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
C6BOB
CF Senior Member
 
C6BOB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Cupertino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchalsup View Post
my opinion is that the a-pillar should be the same as the body color.
I also think the roof should be the same as body color.
C6BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
george vee
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
george vee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Wurtsboro NY
Default

I think CF should be offered as an option with the CF roof, like this C6


Last edited by george vee; 06-14-2013 at 11:35 PM.
george vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by george vee View Post
I think CF should be offered as an option with the CF roof, like this C6

A CF pillar would be lined up with the body colored part of the CF roof, completely missing the exposed CF part of the roof.
ZL-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
B Stead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Default

The following is a styling critique genre:

I don't like the fastback roof with the roof panels off.

I don't like the fastback roof with the rear hatch up.

I don't like the fastback roof with the black roof panels and then black A-pillars don't help either.

Someone posted a Shelby Mustang and now I'm seeing the fastback roof as the Mustang Corvette.

The Viper, the Ferrari F12, and the Lotus Evora all have smoother fastback roofs.

Then the rear view of the fastback roof is a flat panel with some girder shapes in it. The purpose of the girder shapes ? When the car is a convertible then the girder shapes are set on the trunk to remind us that the convertible is also a Stingray.

Might as well finish the car:

The rear end is famous of course, and looks like a child's toy.

The shark fins on the sides of the door are not as sophisticated as the shapeing of the F12 and not as motorsports traditional as the C6.

The front bumper has two warts on it.

The front grille as some chrome plastic.

And in general the bodywork vents and grilles are not satin stainless steel which I think would be a lot better than black patches. In other words, some small touches of exotic metal but the metal of course would be 1/2 to 1/3 the thickness of the plastic.

Beyond the scope of a C7 refresh:

The extra long tail of the Stingray emblem might be an indicator of the extra long wheelbase and car length.

The C7 width is good and so hopefully the C8 won't be an eel instead of a Stingray
.

Last edited by B Stead; 06-15-2013 at 01:24 AM.
B Stead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Stead View Post
I don't like the fastback roof with the roof panels off.

I don't like the fastback roof with the rear hatch up.

I don't like the fastback roof with the black roof panels and then black A-pillars don't help either.

Someone posted a Shelby Mustang and now I'm seeing the fastback roof as the Mustang Corvette.

The Viper, the Ferrari F12, and the Lotus Evora all have smoother fastback roofs.

Then the rear view of the fastback roof is a flat panel with some girder shapes in it. The purpose of the girder shapes ? When the car is a convertible then the girder shapes are set on the trunk to remind us that the convertible is also a Stingray.

Might as well finish the car:

The rear end is famous of course, and looks like a child's toy.

The shark fins on the sides of the door are not as sophisticated as the shapeing of the F12 and not as motorsports traditional as the C6.

The front bumper has two warts on it.

The front grille as some chrome plastic.

And in general the bodywork vents and grilles are not satin stainless steel which I think would be a lot better than black patches. In other words, some small touches of exotic metal but the metal of course would be 1/2 to 1/3 the thickness of the plastic
.
C6 owner?
ZL-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #15
jamesw95
CF Senior Member
 
jamesw95's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Stead View Post
The following is a styling critique genre:

I don't like the fastback roof with the roof panels off.

I don't like the fastback roof with the rear hatch up.

I don't like the fastback roof with the black roof panels and then black A-pillars don't help either.

Someone posted a Shelby Mustang and now I'm seeing the fastback roof as the Mustang Corvette.

The Viper, the Ferrari F12, and the Lotus Evora all have smoother fastback roofs.

Then the rear view of the fastback roof is a flat panel with some girder shapes in it. The purpose of the girder shapes ? When the car is a convertible then the girder shapes are set on the trunk to remind us that the convertible is also a Stingray.

Might as well finish the car:

The rear end is famous of course, and looks like a child's toy.

The shark fins on the sides of the door are not as sophisticated as the shapeing of the F12 and not as motorsports traditional as the C6.

The front bumper has two warts on it.

The front grille as some chrome plastic.

And in general the bodywork vents and grilles are not satin stainless steel which I think would be a lot better than black patches. In other words, some small touches of exotic metal but the metal of course would be 1/2 to 1/3 the thickness of the plastic.

Beyond the scope of a C7 refresh:

The extra long tail of the Stingray emblem might be an indicator of the extra long wheelbase and car length
.
If you hate the C7 why are you here?
jamesw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
B Stead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw95 View Post
If you hate the C7 why are you here?
Styling critiques attempt to influence the development and design of the car. And a C7 refresh is possible.

Also, the Corvette is supported as a street car that is also a race car platform. In that regard, the issue is the wheelbase going over 104"
.

Last edited by B Stead; 06-15-2013 at 02:01 AM.
B Stead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
Michael A
CF Senior Member
 
Michael A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default

For cars with tops, a painted A-pillar carries the lines of the car forward. However, the A-pillar on the C7, while looking better painted, has an abrupt jog at the top of the A-pillar which is less than desirable.

While it is not the end of the world, I think they left some styling on the table.

Michael
Michael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #18
matthewelle
CF Senior Member
 
matthewelle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: PTown CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelinmech View Post
yellow - with the roof on

black - with the roof off
+1.....
matthewelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
matthewelle
CF Senior Member
 
matthewelle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: PTown CA
Default

Perhaps this would be more to your liking?
Supposedly rejected sketchs in one of the C7 teaser videos.
Looking back at it there were lots of clues in context they flashed before your eyes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Stead View Post
The following is a styling critique genre:

I don't like the fastback roof with the roof panels off.

I don't like the fastback roof with the rear hatch up.

I don't like the fastback roof with the black roof panels and then black A-pillars don't help either.

Someone posted a Shelby Mustang and now I'm seeing the fastback roof as the Mustang Corvette.

The Viper, the Ferrari F12, and the Lotus Evora all have smoother fastback roofs.

Then the rear view of the fastback roof is a flat panel with some girder shapes in it. The purpose of the girder shapes ? When the car is a convertible then the girder shapes are set on the trunk to remind us that the convertible is also a Stingray.

Might as well finish the car:

The rear end is famous of course, and looks like a child's toy.

The shark fins on the sides of the door are not as sophisticated as the shapeing of the F12 and not as motorsports traditional as the C6.

The front bumper has two warts on it.

The front grille as some chrome plastic.

And in general the bodywork vents and grilles are not satin stainless steel which I think would be a lot better than black patches. In other words, some small touches of exotic metal but the metal of course would be 1/2 to 1/3 the thickness of the plastic.

Beyond the scope of a C7 refresh:

The extra long tail of the Stingray emblem might be an indicator of the extra long wheelbase and car length.

The C7 width is good and so hopefully the C8 won't be an eel instead of a Stingray
.
matthewelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
B Stead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewelle View Post
Perhaps this would be more to your liking?
Supposedly rejected sketchs in one of the C7 teaser videos.
Looking back at it there were lots of clues in context they flashed before your eyes.
I wish everyone would edit out copy of my critique post because once is enough.

But I like the C7 convertible roof shape but don't like the ridges on the trunk. (The ridges being an example of what's wrong with the car overall, added elements that too obviously represent a theme.) And then many people complain about the rear end.

Like the C7 convertible roof shape ? Then there should be three roof choices, the fastback, the convertible, and a hardtop.

Here is the 2009 teaser Stingray:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...photo-1349977/

.

Last edited by B Stead; 06-15-2013 at 05:38 AM.
B Stead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page A-Pillar Opinion
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Pictures bimmerborn C7 General Discussion 40 08-13-2013 11:09 AM
Let's go take a picture... bimmerborn Northern California 6 07-14-2013 12:08 PM
When it comes... bimmerborn C7 General Discussion 12 07-01-2013 06:26 PM
C7 Hatch bimmerborn C7 General Discussion 10 01-15-2013 01:30 AM
Quiz: Where is this picture taken? bimmerborn C6 Corvette General Discussion 25 10-12-2012 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Emails & Password Backup