Sponsored by:

rear quarter window

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Default rear quarter window

What's is with the small window some pictures it appears you can't see thru it, as in the 360 degree link and then it some other picture you can
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Some photos are of very early cars that did not even have interiors. All of their windows were blacked-out. In other photos, it is a combination of how the lighting is hitting the vehicle and how illuminated the rear interior is.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Some photos are of very early cars that did not even have interiors. All of their windows were blacked-out. In other photos, it is a combination of how the lighting is hitting the vehicle and how illuminated the rear interior is.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

You can see out of the quarter windows. If you PM me with your e mail address, I'll send you a picture of that, and hopefully someone can post it on this thread.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

You can post it if you want to. It's easy. Just set up a FREE account at photobucket.com (very simple to do) and upload your photos to your account. For any photo that you want to post, simply copy its Photobucket IMG CODE and paste it into your thread. It's easy.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 PM
elegant
Safety Car

The picture above is looking through the passenger rear quarter window from inside the car. What you are seeing is part of a person in a yellow jacket, standing behind/outside of the car.

Last edited by elegant; 06-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I get the feeling that you will be able to see a little out the quarter window on the opposite side, but almost nothing out the quarter window on your side.

Also, I suspect the overall rearward visibility will be worse than the C6, which is pretty bad, but hope to be wrong.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Also, I suspect the overall rearward visibility will be worse than the C6, which is pretty bad, but hope to be wrong.
I thought rear visibility was not too bad on the C6 but you're right, the C7's won't be very good. It's interesting how they made the inside mirror narrower, just wide enough to match the narrower rear field of vision. A plus is that the smaller mirror blocks less forward visibility.

At least there's a rear camera now. I wonder if the right side mirror will have a curb view feature when the car is put in reverse?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I get the feeling that you will be able to see a little out the quarter window on the opposite side, but almost nothing out the quarter window on your side.

Can you please explain how, exactly, one could possibly see out of the quarter window on the same side of the vehicle in which they are sitting?
As the owner of vehicles with small quarter windows, I've yet to find a reason to actually need to see out of the quarter window on the driver's side because...well...not only do I have a side view mirror, but I can see out of my side window.
S.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I suspect the window was more of a design item than anything else. I doubt there is much visibility. And, it looks as if the C7 will have less rear visibility than the C6.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

All the safety features but you can't see out the rear windows? WELL!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Historically many exciting sports car designs have resulted in reduced rear visibility. I bought a new Pantera and it took a while to adapt to the huge blind spot. It's a compromise some of us are willing to make. Many people b!tched about visibility through the split window in 1963 Sting Ray. It's much loved now though. If you drive the car regularly you'll adapt to its visibility characteristics.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I suspect the window was more of a design item than anything else. I doubt there is much visibility. And, it looks as if the C7 will have less rear visibility than the C6.
It looks that way, but we will have a rear-view camera, so overall visibility might be effectively better in the C7.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Larry/car
How do we know you can't see out of the rear windows? Looks to me that I can look over my shoulder and see out the passenger quarter window to double check no one is in my not-blind spot on that side , look at my inside rear view mirror through the back window to see who is behind me, turn my head and look out the driver's side window.

How about if we drive the car first before we decide we can not see out safely...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Snorman
Can you please explain how, exactly, one could possibly see out of the quarter window on the same side of the vehicle in which they are sitting?

As the owner of vehicles with small quarter windows, I've yet to find a reason to actually need to see out of the quarter window on the driver's side because...well...not only do I have a side view mirror, but I can see out of my side window.
S.
On our C6 coupe, I can see out through either side of the rear glass, that would be the quarter window if it were a separate piece, by turning my head and neck. Not particularly difficult even for an old guy like me.

I always like the ability to look at something directly if desired, instead of being forced to use only a mirror or a camera. Mirrors can get fogged or rained, cameras can fail, etc.

I don't like to see the Corvette design regressing in any way, and it seems like some visibility has been sacrificed merely for the sake of styling.
EDIT- Much like the current Camaro.
My evaluation may change after I actually get to drive a C7.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 06-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

I think the guys here that say they can look out the drivers side of their back glass mean from the passengers seat. I've owned a lot of Corvette coupes but there's never been room to look over over my left shoulder and out the back. You'd have to twist around to the right and look over your right shoulder to see out the left side of the back glass.

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

While driving a C6, looking out the driver side of the rear glass on that side would indeed be impractical for most of us. While backing or parked, not a problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

The picture above is looking through the passenger rear quarter window from inside the car. What you are seeing is part of a person in a yellow jacket, standing behind/outside of the car.
That is good detective work. Its the first picture I have seen from this angle. "Form before Function"...I still love the overall design. Thanks for posting.

Get notified of new replies

To rear quarter window

Quick Reply: rear quarter window