Sponsored by:

Is a c7 a good match for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ieem
... I am a college student and... for some reason I just want to get the manual.
I like your choice of a manual transmission.

But I think you are not yet ready for a C7.

For starters, I'm guessing you have little or no experience driving a powerful sports car with a manual transmission.

So, first I think you should consider learning to drive in a less-powerful car. Become proficient with a manual transmission... plenty of sporty cars to choose... Camaro V6, Mustang V6, Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, BMW 128/320, Mini Cooper, etc.

Anyway, I think a college student in a brand-new Corvette invites "unwanted" jealous attention.

Also, before you get a C7, I think it's a good idea to take a course in high-performance driving. Lots of schools all over the country -- Bondurant, Skip Barber, etc.

Definitely look at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain: http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

Later, the C7 will make an excellent graduation gift.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
My first Vette was 1984 C4 which I bought in 1985. My cousin in Houston owned one and I loved the car, and when I had the opportunity to purchase one, I did. I was a college student at Texas A&M. As I recall, at the time, there were only five C4 vettes in the Bryan/College Station area, so the car got too much attention. I used to get asked out constantly. Girls would leave notes with phone numbers on othe window, etc.. At first it was fun with all the attention, but soon after, it started to get somewhat annoying.

My point - owning a new generation Vette will put you in a somewhat similar situation I was in. Too much attention may not always mean a good thing. Now you go decide if the C7 is a good match for you.
Don't all corvette owners have this issue?

I too find it annoying after awhile of all the beautiful co eds are leaving their phone numbers under the windshield wipers and dam if I'm not about to get in the car and beautiful girls are ripping off their clothes to get a ride...

It's so annoying when I'm out on a date.

I often have to take one of my boring sports cars like a Porsche just to be able to take my date to peaceful dinner without interruptions.

Thanks for bringing up these valuable aspects of corvette ownership.

To the OP...you might do well to listen to chopper05....

I realize you stated your a little nerdy but after awhile even you will tire of the constant attention of beautiful half naked co eds trying to get a ride in your corvette...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
ieem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
I like your choice of a manual transmission.

But I think you are not yet ready for a C7.

For starters, I'm guessing you have little or no experience driving a powerful sports car with a manual transmission.

So, first I think you should consider learning to drive in a less-powerful car. Become proficient with a manual transmission... plenty of sporty cars to choose... Camaro V6, Mustang V6, Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, BMW 128/320, Mini Cooper, etc.

Anyway, I think a college student in a brand-new Corvette invites "unwanted" jealous attention.

Also, before you get a C7, I think it's a good idea to take a course in high-performance driving. Lots of schools all over the country -- Bondurant, Skip Barber, etc.

Definitely look at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain: http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

Later, the C7 will make an excellent graduation gift.
Here is the deal, although the vette can be too much for me, I wont dare try to reach its limits on the streets. I was thinking of tracking it every now and then. The issue with pony cars is that they usually have old chassis technology (i.e. camaro has the lumina chasis that was outdated years before it was installed on the camaro) Mustangs and challengers (for me) seem to be show cars, and exude a look at me mentality. Sure the vette definitely does the same, but it has something to back that claim. Again, I wont be going 200 mph on the streets, or burnouts for that matter. I want a car that can handle well , while still being a challenge to "tame". A viper, on the other hand, has lots of torque, but cannot be a daily driver (fish tailing with even a little throttle) .
If I were to buy an american car (which I really would prefer) I'd chose the vette
Otherwise, I might look at some german "tuners" like a c63 , M3, ....etc ... (which I truly despise knowing that I could have bought a vette)
Again, thanks a lot for your wise input.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Don't all corvette owners have this issue?

I too find it annoying after awhile of all the beautiful co eds are leaving their phone numbers under the windshield wipers and dam if I'm not about to get in the car and beautiful girls are ripping off their clothes to get a ride...

It's so annoying when I'm out on a date.

I often have to take one of my boring sports cars like a Porsche just to be able to take my date to peaceful dinner without interruptions.

Thanks for bringing up these valuable aspects of corvette ownership.

To the OP...you might do well to listen to chopper05....

I realize you stated your a little nerdy but after awhile even you will tire of the constant attention of beautiful half naked co eds trying to get a ride in your corvette...
Mind my english, but are you being sarcastic ?

I cannot tell whether or not you are :P
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Dave Hopkins
Intermediate

Hello,
I am new to the corvette world, but I am an avid car enthusiast,and am very seriously considering a stingray corvette(c7) . I am a college student and was advised by my friends that an automatic would make things simpler, but for some reason I just want to get the manual.You might not believe me, but I chose the manual transmission because it will make my life miserable when commuting. I want my car to have personality. I believe that a manual transmission optioned car serves this purpose. I think that putting an auto on a vette is like "castrating" the car. I think that in the future, I would like the car more because of this misery.English is not my first language, so sorry if there are any mistakes.
Thanks
I'm confused myself. Your title is asking if the car is good for you but you only seem to be wondering about a manual vs automatic; which has nothing to do with your thread title. A manual transmission, based on your logic, seems reasonable. I like driving a manual and it makes a commute more fun. However that doesn't mean the C7 is a good match for you. If your conundrum is merely auto Vs manual, then you could buy any car that offers both transmissions.

I will help with some questions:
1. Can you afford a C7? You are in college and most people in college are not spending money on a 55k+ car
2. Do you have a place to store the car?

When I was in my final year of undergrad I bought my dream car :a 2003 mustang cobra. It was impulsive, against the advice of everyone and an awesome decision. Financially prudent? No. But I got a lot of Return on Investment in Smiles.

Car guys "get it." It's the same reason I decided to buy a 2000 Viper GTS ACR in 09 when the market crashed and I could afford one for pennies on the dollar. I could have bought a lot of other investments but I would not have gotten to drive my dream car.

With that being said, i wouldn't recommend completely throwing caution to the wind unless you really swing the car. If you have tons of student loans, are not going into a relatively decent paying job or don't have work lined up, I would not recommend getting a corvette as a student in college.

Last edited by Dave Hopkins; 06-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Hopkins
I'm confused myself. Your title is asking if the car is good for you but you only seem to be wondering about a manual vs automatic; which has nothing to do with your thread title. A manual transmission, based on your logic, seems reasonable. I like driving a manual and it makes a commute more fun. However that doesn't mean the C7 is a good match for you. If your conundrum is merely auto Vs manual, then you could buy any car that offers both transmissions.

I will help with some questions:
1. Can you afford a C7? You are in college and most people in college are not spending money on a 55k+ car
2. Do you have a place to store the car?

When I was in my final year of undergrad I bought my dream car :a 2003 mustang cobra. It was impulsive, against the advice of everyone and an awesome decision. Financially prudent? No. But I got a lot of Return on Investment in Smiles.

Car guys "get it." It's the same reason I decided to buy a 2000 Viper GTS ACR in 09 when the market crashed and I could afford one for pennies on the dollar. I could have bought a lot of other investments but I would not have gotten to drive my dream car.

With that being said, i wouldn't recommend completely throwing caution to the wind unless you really swing the car. If you have tons of student loans, are not going into a relatively decent paying job or don't have work lined up, I would not recommend getting a corvette as a student in college.
A:When it comes to financial safety, rest assured, I wont be doing any such purchases if they were to hinder me. (Money can be dealt with, without loans ...)
You were spot-on when you criticized me (The question should be manual vs auto)
I have almost made up my mind about purchasing the vehicle, but wanted to get input on the "manual car for college" mentality.

B:yes, there are multiple "closed and monitored" parking spaces

Thanks so much for your valuable input.
I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to answer, and not bash and be rude in your replies.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Al76
Intermediate

In my opinion, if you want the Corvette, get it! I have always drove manual cars, and yes, in traffic it can be a pain. However, I always found the reward of being connected to the car by not letting the transmission do all of the work outweighs the the headache you get sitting in stop and go traffic. The extra effort put into working a clutch in stop and go traffic beats walking miles during your commute on any day (unless you don't know how to drive a manual car)!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Al76
In my opinion, if you want the Corvette, get it! I have always drove manual cars, and yes, in traffic it can be a pain. However, I always found the reward of being connected to the car by not letting the transmission do all of the work outweighs the the headache you get sitting in stop and go traffic. The extra effort put into working a clutch in stop and go traffic beats walking miles during your commute on any day (unless you don't know how to drive a manual car)!
I believe that manual should be more fun, even with the headaches. Thanks for your reply.
Where I come from, manuals a dime a dozen.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Al76
Intermediate

I ordered mine with the 7 speed Manual and never gave it a second thought.. whichever you decide...good luck!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

If money is no object, then get the C7. You will not be disappointed. I personally prefer Corvettes over all the other much-more expensive vehicles I have owned. Having said that, go get the 7-speed manual transmission. You're young, and should be able to deal with the clutch in any situation. When I was your age, I had an '85 Vette with the 4+3, in Los Angeles, and I was never bothered by traffic, even back then when dealing with clutches was like working out.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zhopper05
If money is no object, then get the C7. You will not be disappointed. I personally prefer Corvettes over all the other much-more expensive vehicles I have owned. Having said that, go get the 7-speed manual transmission. You're young, and should be able to deal with the clutch in any situation. When I was your age, I had an '85 Vette with the 4+3, in Los Angeles, and I was never bothered by traffic, even back then when dealing with clutches was like working out.
Another reason that I prefer the MN7 to the A6 is that, with rev-matching, it should "far" outweigh the convenience of the A6. Even without revmatching, it should be good.
I need to work out
Thanks for your input
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Al76
I ordered mine with the 7 speed Manual and never gave it a second thought.. whichever you decide...good luck!
thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like you have thought about your different options on which car you would like and why. I say that you should get a C7. You will be very happy with it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChromeC5
Sounds to me like you have thought about your different options on which car you would like and why. I say that you should get a C7. You will be very happy with it.
thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I had the same decision to make when I graduated college. I chose auto. Big mistake.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
I had the same decision to make when I graduated college. I chose auto. Big mistake.
Sorry for your misfortune
I hope my decision of a manual is wise.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I have two Corvettes - one with a manual transmission, the other with an automatic.

The manual transmission is more fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a c7 a good match for me?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I have two Corvettes - one with a manual transmission, the other with an automatic.

The manual transmission is more fun.
How low compared to a sedan does driving a vette feel ? Are your legs completely stretched when driving (race-car) feeling ?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

How low compared to a sedan does driving a vette feel ? Are your legs completely stretched when driving (race-car) feeling ?
You feel low to the ground and you get to enjoy a nice handling chassis.

As far as posture - you can set/adjust the seat and seat back and steering wheel to just about whatever position you like.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I'd suggest getting the non-castrated model.

Quick Reply: Is a c7 a good match for me?