Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride--honest opinion

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
BADA BING
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnetic Ride--honest opinion

I am about to place my order for the C7 but having issues deciding on magnetic ride. I have a c6 now with magnetic ride and honestly I hardly ever use it (always keep on sport). I do use it but really just because its there. So the question is: should i get this 2,000.00 option on the C7 z-51 or save the money? If I do get it is the resale for the Magnetic ride really worth the 2k option on the front end??

Any help with this would be great. like to get some perspective here.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
herman2p
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a mechanical engineer, I think it is the only option I would not want to live without. Improves ride and performance. That is like having your cake and eating it too. Get it!!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

The system is able to alter damping to suit conditions even within modes, so theoretically the ride and performance are better in "sport" than having traditional dampers set up for a stiffer ride.

That said it sounds like the non MRC dampers on the Z51 are higher quality than in the past, and those who have had to replace a shock on the older systems have been faced with significantly higher replacement costs, so there is possibly more than just the initial purchase price to consider.

It is definitely one of the most advanced suspension systems available period, so I can easily see the cost being worth it. When we're talking about your money here, the extra 2k is a drop in the bucket considering total vehicle costs. :-P
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM
BADA BING
Racer

I appreciate the perspective, I just always keep my C6 in sport and probably only twice going to the beach have I used tour when my fiance decides to bring 2 bags of shoes. Its usually only a every other weekend driver and was wondering if the MRC changes the shocks/springs sway bar to a less performance enhanced parts.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by BADA BING
I am about to place my order for the C7 but having issues deciding on magnetic ride. I have a c6 now with magnetic ride and honestly I hardly ever use it (always keep on sport). I do use it but really just because its there. So the question is: should i get this 2,000.00 option on the C7 z-51 or save the money? If I do get it is the resale for the Magnetic ride really worth the 2k option on the front end??

Any help with this would be great. like to get some perspective here.
You use it every time you drive your car. It is on 100% of the time. Basically your just adjusting the sensitively when you switch from tour to sport.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The MRC works so well that you can keep it in sport and use it everyday..

As an owner of a 2008 c6 z51 there are times during daily driving I wish I had MRC.

If you never needed to switch it to touring than the MRC was doing such a great job it's money well spent
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I think the answer is different for everyone just like everything else in life. As a comparison with audio, I can't tell one note from another. The only mag ride experience I had was in my Cadi and the Sport was very harsh so it is stuck in tour. I'm sure the C7 will be a more refined system.

But two other questions........how long you going to keep it.......if it needs replaced I can only imagine.........and if you trade ofter do you get any value for a $2K option? It's like $995 for a color. I don't think you get a dime for the color option on trade.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my '09 Z51 rode like....... a sports car. Didn't bother me, I expected it. I ordered MRC on my '11 GS and it rode noticeably smoother even with the much wider tires. I'll be check'n the box for Z51 & MRC when I order 2015 vert.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Kchrpm
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 44 Posts

The major gain of the magnetic shocks is not in the adjustable settings, but as CPhelps has said it is the fact that the shocks are able to make adjustments on the fly based on what is happening to the car on a per corner basis. There's a reason that even Ferrari is using them on all of their new vehicles: they don't just improve the ride, when properly tuned they make the vehicle handle better.

This is the kind of technology racing teams wish they were allowed to use, rather than having to adjust setups to be the best compromise for all the loads seen on a track, the system automatically adjusts to the load as it acts upon the corner.

Before, the best technology out there would read loads as they hit the front suspension and then adjust the rear shocks accordingly. Now as the load is applied each individual corner is able to compensate as it's happening. To get any better you would need a setup that pushed back, rather than just being able to control the effective shock rate.

Basically I'm a HUGE fan of the MagneRide suspension. I would never say it's a must buy, you will obviously enjoy the vehicle either way, but I definitely think that the price they are asking for it is a fair one.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The MRC works so well that you can keep it in sport and use it everyday..

As an owner of a 2008 c6 z51 there are times during daily driving I wish I had MRC.

If you never needed to switch it to touring than the MRC was doing such a great job it's money well spent

The MSRC in sport mode is not the same as a car with the sport suspension. That is what you need to consider. If after consideration you feel that you don't want to spend the extra money, that is your choice but you need to make an apples to apples comparison.

Do you have a friend who has a non-MSRC equipped car with the sport suspension to compare against?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

It's new and improved............Get it
Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Unless the cost is a pressing issue for you, or the future replacement cost distresses you, get it. It will be the setup GM brags about most. They've placed it at the top of their Stingray performance heirarchy. Better to not need it than to wish you had it.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
BADA BING
Racer

thats the point i was trying to consider on two levels. I know and understand I am driving a sports car not my everyday car I go to work in ( I am not looking for it to ride like a benz). Two, I will only keep the car 5 yrs at most so will the demand be that different over a magnetic ride to one with just the z-51 package and if so what if any value would it bring in addition to the z-51 package. (Will it sell quicker)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Don't approach it like an investment. It's a terrible investment no matter which boxes you check.

The hot setup in five years will be the low-mileage well-maintained car in a non-unpopular color. Price it right and it will sell quickly.

Will MRC become the hot option that everyone's gotta have? It's been around for a decade, are there threads in C6 General that talk about how hard non-MRC cars are to sell?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

This is yet another question about ride, with the participants in the discussion not having any experience with the C7 in either configuration, or even having spoken to a person who has experience with either configuration. Only you can decide this after trying them. Ride is very subjective. Who knows what the MRC shock tuning will be compared to the standard Z51 shocks?

It's very easy to spend other people's money.

Michael
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
BADA BING
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
Don't approach it like an investment. It's a terrible investment no matter which boxes you check.

The hot setup in five years will be the low-mileage well-maintained car in a non-unpopular color. Price it right and it will sell quickly.

Will MRC become the hot option that everyone's gotta have? It's been around for a decade, are there threads in C6 General that talk about how hard non-MRC cars are to sell?
good point
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Michael A: The thread starts "I am about to place my order." He's asking for speculation.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride--honest opinion

Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I find the system in my 427 vert to be a wonderfull option over traditional shock absorbers. I didnt really care if it had it or not, but after now living with it for 3700 miles, I like it a lot. It seems ot give a more stable ride, flattening the corners more, and having the adjustable setting. I too like the sport mode most days, but every now and then I do switch to candy *** mode and enjoy the ride.

For me, the cost associated with it is a value add to a significant purchase. I dont look at it as 2000 bucks, rather, does it add to the overall appeal of the car for me? The answer for me is it does. For some it may not. On a side note, I cant imagine the new version will get worse right?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mag Select is by far the most advanced tech on the car, to spend $55K plus on the car and not get it would be a shame. Whats the 5 year cost, $1K? I also agree even if you keep it in one mode that doesn't mean you're "not using it", quite the contrary.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven with both settings and don't really know that I can feel a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride--honest opinion