MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition

Originally Posted by -CM-
It makes sense, now that you explain it.

The upside is that the assembly workers get to practice building another 500 3LT Brownstone interiors. They should be pretty good at it by the time they get to mine.
Ohhhhh Goody ......... May be GM should call this the Beta Testers Limited Edition ........................
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

GM's first special edition is getting a lot of heat and rightfully so, way too damn soon to be doing this. The "spin" being put out makes no sense.......this sounds more like an "gift" car to dealers to market adjust as they please.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I get that but really making the luggage a huge piece of the specialty is extremely cheesy.

I think the only thing worse would have been those tire with the colored striped in the tread

I can see how this happened. The dealers asked for something like this. The dealers communicate with someone in purchasing/finance at GM and the bean counters got a hold of the idea.

When I worked at Jeep I used to joke that we'd release a special edition of the Grand Cherokee where the only thing that made it different was the special edition emblem.

Everyone laughed.

Then a year later they came out with it.

Maybe I just grew up in a time when a special edition was something different. Hell even a different color or interior.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-29-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Wonder how many of these will still be on dealer lots come mid year ? It would take one heck of a discount to get me to buy one.
When they are discounted (to the same price of an identical car that is a regular model) they will then sell. Since GM has changed their tune and now the car is nothing more than a car that is to be used for people to spill their coffee on, scrape their rings/watches on, and have kids(sometimes called adults) get inside of, jumping on the seats, turning the ***** and pushing the buttons, it no longer has a value as a "limited production" car, that only a few people are privileged to own.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

I should have a lot of these to look at. Over 20 of the Chevy dealers in the Dallas /Ft. Worth area sold the min 7 Corvettes this past year.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When they are discounted (to the same price of an identical car that is a regular model) they will then sell. Since GM has changed their tune and now the car is nothing more than a car that is to be used for people to spill their coffee on, scrape their rings/watches on, and have kids(sometimes called adults) get inside of, jumping on the seats, turning the ***** and pushing the buttons, it no longer has a value as a "limited production" car, that only a few people are privileged to own.

I've owned 2 C6's, am 34 yrs old, make about the average income here in the US......these cars are not limited production or few people can own them....they are a higher then normal priced high performance Chevy.

You make it sound as if the Corvette is ultra rare.....you want that step into a Viper. Corvette has always priced itself to be an affordable sports car.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO

I've owned 2 C6's, am 34 yrs old, make about the average income here in the US......these cars are not limited production or few people can own them....they are a higher then normal priced high performance Chevy.

You make it sound as if the Corvette is ultra rare.....you want that step into a Viper. Corvette has always priced itself to be an affordable sports car.

Corvettes around here are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So Joe, tell us the price difference of this to the 'regular' car.

Changed their tune? Just because you paid NO attention (as usual) to the reveal to see what they actually said, you NOW say they changed their tune. Typical of you.

Some folks do actually buy off the showroom floor. Evidently these buyers don't deserve your respect but they do it anyway.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

If the car is supposed to be sitting on the show floor so people can look and feel, why are some dealers getting more than one car?

I see that another dealer is getting two of the cars. Why, when both cars are identical? A walk-in looks at one "premier" C7 on display, then what's the purpose of the dealer having a second identical car on display? There is nothing on the second car to see/feel that isn't on the first car.

I bet I know. It's for him to sell the pair of them as soon as he has a customer(or presold for $1500 off MSRP). I bet there will be plenty of unsold C7's sitting on show room floors for customers to see/feel and buy, very shortly. What is the purpose of having a car on display if the walk-in can't buy a car and get in until 6 to 8 months from now(as some people seem to think is happening with the C7's sales)?
No dealer knows how many they are going to get. I think it will be one to each of the top 500 dealers but maybe a few will get two, but that hasn't been announced yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

GM hasn't changed their tune. This was the plan from the get go and this strategy of making cars available for display was talked about almost a year ago.

I love how some people want to just talk down the car hoping it won't sell so that eventually if sale slow down they can say they were right.

We're taking orders on a daily basis and it hasn't showed any sign of slowing down. This car is a success before it even hits the lots and the fact that GM was concerned that there would be none in the showroom for people to actually see shows forward thinking on their part.

Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

This car is all about marketing. Large dealers complained to someone in sales that they were not getting enough allocation to provide a demo model. Some heads got together and made it happen. The big dealers are happy about it, they get another allocation or two early in the production run without taking away from the current orders. Not only that, it's an expensive highly optioned car that they can put in the showroom and claim that it's "not for sale," right up until someone steps up and gladly pays premium buck for it. Add up the options and it's likely to be at or near $80K. Much more profit for the dealer than a $55K common model.

If it is truly left in the showroom to demonstrate the options, it could help overall sales. I'm sure that's the argument that made it happen anyway. The only loosers are the smaller dealers and everyone waiting for a car in the later allocation rounds. How much difference it makes in dilevery time will vary depending on when they make them. Early in the production run it could take quite a while to pump out 500 cars (even if they are identical). Later down the road, not so long.

Even so, if I see somebody with one at a cruise-in I'll be glad to compliment them on owning a nice looking car. No butt-in-line annimosity from me.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm curious if these cars will be Z51s, non-Z51s, or a mixture of both. Does anyone here know? What about transmissions?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm curious if these cars will be Z51s, non-Z51s, or a mixture of both. Does anyone here know? What about transmissions?
That exact subject is being discussed with Dave from Kerbeck. He wasn't sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
KaKruisin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This makes a lot of sense. The dealers who are into Corvettes need to have something on the showroom floor, and why not have it show all the options and a new color. Most of the allocations are all sold orders at this time. BTW - the new Viper did the same thing with a "launch edition" - also in blue.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
seattime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the best way to get in on the Premier event?

Will the Demo's be discounted at time of sale?

Thx's
Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
No dealer knows how many they are going to get. I think it will be one to each of the top 500 dealers but maybe a few will get two, but that hasn't been announced yet.

If dealers only get 1, I'll drink the Kool Aid and believe it is a showroom floor model, a hands on example to aid potential buyers in buying decisions. As such, the dealer will not sell their Premiere Edition until ample alternative inventory is on their floor, many months down the road.

But if any dealer gets more than 1, or immediately sells the same, then I see it as a largest dealer price gouging opportunity courtesy of BG. "Thanks for selling Corvettes, here is our newest model, opted to the moon, with limited production - go forth and sell it for maximum profit."
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
If dealers only get 1, I'll drink the Kool Aid and believe it is a showroom floor model, a hands on example to aid potential buyers in buying decisions. As such, the dealer will not sell their Premiere Edition until ample alternative inventory is on their floor, many months down the road.

But if any dealer gets more than 1, or immediately sells the same, then I see it as a largest dealer price gouging opportunity courtesy of BG. "Thanks for selling Corvettes, here is our newest model, opted to the moon, with limited production - go forth and sell it for maximum profit."
Rick Conti has already stated he's getting more than one and is discounting it $1,500.00

Get notified of new replies

To The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition

Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I"Thanks for selling Corvettes, here is our newest model, opted to the moon, with limited production - go forth and sell it for maximum profit."
Why would you object to this? If nobody buys it, it is the dealer's loss.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

My objection is putting immediate dealer profit ahead of Corvette loyalist's interests. Moves like that caused Government Motors . . . . imho

Additionally this 'special luggage model' was needed like a hole in the head - it's a poor taste example to introduce the C7 world beater . . . . imho

Last edited by michaelinmech; 06-29-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Why would anyone object to this? Because this is the C7 forum, where whiny little girls go to post.

I swear, as I type this, the reveal was 24 HOURS AGO, and some of the geniuses in this thread claim that GM changed how the Premiere Edition was going to be handled (in 24 HOURS) because of an outcry by a few keyboard warriors.

Some of you guys need a HOBBY or something....REALLY.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition